Anderson's hitting

59Sox

Beginning to look like Anderson is overmatched by ML pitching. Watching him bat last night, first pitch fastballs going right by him. He needs to step it up very soon especially with Dye on the shelf.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Anderson is an easy target, but. How about this, the minute our SS starts to actually hit we can then address our rookie CF who hasnt hit. Uribe has been in the league for years, has had some limited success, however for the most part he just spins himself into the ground trying to park every pitch low, high, bounced in, into the stands.

Anderson is struggling. He has the talent, obviously needs some special attention. When we have the full lineup in, he is not so annoying. Because if you can use the well Uribe plays great defense so its okay when he swings and spins like a top, has no plate patience and basically will swing at a ball rolled in, then we can give the same benefit to our Rookie CF.

I used to joke that you could throw a frozen ham at Uribe and he'd still swing at it--it's just that bad (like last year). Again, though: his defense has probably won us plenty of games.

Anderson I don't know what to say. He seems to instantly get down in the count and then the pitchers just toy with him. I'm assuming that word gets around on that, BTW.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ May 2, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
I used to joke that you could throw a frozen ham at Uribe and he'd still swing at it--it's just that bad (like last year).  Again, though: his defense has probably won us plenty of games.

Anderson I don't know what to say.  He seems to instantly get down in the count and then the pitchers just toy with him.  I'm assuming that word gets around on that, BTW.

Uribe doesnt get down in the count because it rarely gets past a pitch or 2.

Anderson needs to shorten his stroke a bit. He has a long stroke, which seems to happen in every hitter that comes up from the minors in the sox system. Right now he is jumping on the first 2 pitches just to get wood on the ball. He is almost afraid to get 2 strikes on himself. That makes for some frustrating ABs. I thought he was coming around after the twins series, however he is back to square one. I would like to see the sox do the same thing they did with Uribe last year, get someone in to work specfically with Anderson. This at least would give Anderson someone to work with him one on one and hopefully it will help him take off. I would like to see the same guy brought in that they did last year, because he would help quiet Andersons stroke a bit. After Anderson gets good wood on the ball, then we can work back towards a power stroke.

I'm willing to give him until the end of May to figure things out at the plate.

If he's not hitting above .240 or so by then, it'll be time to make a move.

Love his D by the way.

I'd rather criticize Anderson. As you've mentioned, Uribe has proven himself capable of hitting major league pitching over an extended period of time. Anderson hasn't. This alone separate's the two. I'll criticize him EVERY opportunity until he begins showing improvements; regardless of what Uribe does. I'm not giving Brian any benefit of doubt due to his success in the minors, and how we're supposed to "give him time." His AB's are painful to watch. How will this magically improve over time? It appears his long swing is most responsible for early troubles. That's not a minor adjustment Walker can fix.

I've accepted the likelihood he'll remain on this ballclub atleast until midseason. By then, no more excuses should remain. If he's hovering around .200--goodbye. Have fun in Charlotte. Whether the option for a replacement lies in on our minors (lol) or outside the team, it's not acceptable for a contending club to have a regular such as Anderson.

People wonder why I criticize our system. For an organization whose strength is outfielders, it's amazing how Anderson is our top prospect. What does that tell you? I know not everyone is Jeff Francouer. Or Matt Murton. Or Minnie Mendoza. I just expect some consistency. Hitting clutch HR's once every 50AB's doesn't change matters.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
And people wonder why I criticize our system. For an organization whose strength is outfielders, it's amazing how Anderson is our top prospect. What does that tell you? I know not everyone is Jeff Francouer. Or Matt Murton. Or Minnie Mendoza. I just expect some consistency. Hitting clutch HR's once every 50AB's doesn't change matters.

I just find it funny that you criticize the system, because it's a new thing for you.

It was always b****ing about the talent that we had the major league level in the past, because KW was an awful GM and we never had what you wanted/thought we needed.

And now that we won the WS, you can't exactly harp on that anymore. So you've moved on to "bigger and better things."

:rolly

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 2, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I'd rather criticize Anderson. As you've mentioned, Uribe has proven himself capable of hitting major league pitching over an extended period of time. Anderson hasn't. This alone seperate's the two. I'll criticize him EVERY day until he begins showing improvements; regardless of what Uribe does. I'm not giving Brian any benefit of doubt concerning his success in the minors, and how we're supposed to "give him time." His AB's are painful to watch. How will this magically improve over time? It appears his swing is most responsible for early troubles. That's not a minor adjustment Walker can fix.

I've accepted the likelihood he'll remain on this ballclub atleast until midseason. By then, no more excuses should remain. If he's hovering around .200--goodbye. Have fun in Charlotte. Whether the option for a replacement lies in on our minors (lol) or outside the team, it's not acceptable for a contending club to have a regular such as Anderson.

And people wonder why I criticize our system. For an organization whose strength is outfielders, it's amazing how Anderson is our top prospect. What does that tell you? I know not everyone is Jeff Francouer. Or Matt Murton. Or Minnie Mendoza. I just expect some consistency. Hitting clutch HR's once every 50AB's doesn't change matters.

To me Sweeney has a better stroke that will translate better to the majors than Andersons. However that doesnt mean he will hit with power or will he be decent in CF. If he could play CF and play good defense it would be nice. However I dont think that will happen. He has been projected as a corner OF, and I dont know if Sweeney without killer speed can be a corner OF without power.

Sweeney needs a full year in AAA at least.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
I just find it funny that you criticize the system, because it's a new thing for you. 

It was always b****ing about the talent that we had the major league level in the past, because KW was an awful GM and we never had what you wanted/thought we needed. 

And now that we won the WS, you can't exactly harp on that anymore.  So you've moved on to "bigger and better things."

:rolly

While I usually agree with you, I gotta agree with Flash on this.

In the past, pre offseason 2005, there was reason to criticize KW, he made some bonehead moves. Even he would admit that. But he did a great job acquiring talent for the 2005 run and I think even Flash would give him credit for that.

But one World Series doesn't cover up the Sox shortcomings as it regards to their farm system.

He is right on to criticize the White Sox farm system. Their failure to produce contributing first round picks over the last 10 years cannot be denied.

He is right to criticize Anderson. The guy is in the major leagues and this is not a time to learn on the job. We are competing for another division title and we need everyone to contribute to reach the goal again. If Anderson can't hang long term, he'll be demoted.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I honestly can't "fathom" how Anderson's going to be a solid hitter with his current swing.  It's so ugly.  If you didn't know better, you'd think it was a pitcher batting some of the time.

Until he improves his plate discipline, he's not going to hit any better.

His swing is ugly and he's ALWAYS behind in the count.

Pitchers are just pounding strike one and strike two in there because he either takes a pitch or fouls it off.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Name me a team in the modern era that has won multiple World Series, while maintaining a solid farm.

Name another team in the majors who hasn't had a single number one pick in the last 14 years make a solid contribution at some point to their big league club.

Since 1992, besides Kip Wells in 1998, the Sox have pretty much struck out in terms of first round picks. And they gave up on Wells after a few seasons.

Is this coincidence or poor scouting and player development?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)

And now that we won the WS, you can't exactly harp on that anymore.  So you've moved on to "bigger and better things."

Your're right--I did regard Williams as a terrible GM until last season. 2003 offseason I was furious he didn't land any noteable FA's.

I give him credit. He proved me wrong. His track record prior to last year wasn't great, so therefore, I didn't exactly have much confidence in his abilites.

Concerning this minor league system, you can't exactly fault me here. Is Anderson not our top prospect? Is he not embarrassing himself? Good defense only goes so far. If he were a pitcher. a .140 may be expected. Not from a CF replacing .280/.340 production from Rowand

McCarthy saved us. He's been great. That's perhaps their best pickup since Buehrle. But we need more. Can't have McCarthy contribute, then nothing viable for 4 years, then another good player. Where's a steady stream of talent? It's not impossible to both contend and develop a system. Anaheim and Atlanta seemingly have no problem with this. This is what I want--success backed up with SOME minor league talent. I understand it may be necessary to trade away talent for proven players. Just hope what remains is still good enough to help your club.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Name another team in the majors who hasn't had a single number one pick in the last 14 years make a solid contribution at some point to their big league club.

Since 1992, besides Kip Wells in 1998, the Sox have pretty much struck out in terms of first round picks.  And they gave up on Wells after a few seasons.

Is this coincidence or poor scouting and player development?

The Yankees aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Granted, they've picked near the end of the first round, but this list ins't full of awesomeness:

Draft History

(Click the year to view the picks)

Year Top Pick

1992 Derek Jeter

1993 Matt Drews

1994 Brian Buchanan

1995 Shea Morenz

1996 Eric Milton

1997 *Tyrell Godwin

1998 Andy Brown

1999 David Walling

2000 David Parrish

2001 John-Ford Griffin

2002 Brandon Weeden

2003 Eric Duncan

2004 Philip Hughes

2005 C.J. Henry

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)

Since 1992, besides Kip Wells in 1998, the Sox have pretty much struck out in terms of first round picks.  And they gave up on Wells after a few seasons.

Honestly, it sounds like you and Flash want the following:

An all-star caliber team at the major league level winning multiple World Series, to the point that farm is insignificant. However, the insiginificant farm must be damn good.

That makes no sense and is not even close to realistic.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
I'd take Francouer over BA 100 out of 100 times.

Enjoy that

And my point isn't to compare BA to Francoeur, it's to say that Francoeur shouldn't be the standard for an up and coming OF

Edited by WHarris1

One thing that really is funny to me is those who think the Sox are above criticism just because they won the World Series.

It's not like we are any less of a fan for questioning certain things.

If everyone were just ho-hum about everything the organzation does and just praised them, what fun would that be?

It would also give them no incentive to constantly improve.

Like it or not, most fans will never truly be satisfied and rightfully so.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Name me a team in the modern era that has won multiple World Series, while maintaining a solid farm.

Are you suggesting there is supposed to be a correlation between the two? Or one may impact the other?

I said before, trading necessary pieces for proven talent (Thome/Vasquez) is acceptable if what remains is still servicable. You can't disregard prospects, as the Yankees are beginning to learn. Just as you can't hold onto all of them, as Minnesota should realize. Is this a "have a cake and eat it too" scenario? Probably. But striving for improvement is better than sitting still and doing nothing.

Our main problem is first, even those prospects we send away aren't doing much, and second--those we keep aren't producing either. Our position in the draft hasn't helped matters, as previously mentioned. Refusing to deal with Boras clients eliminates good players, and our Latin American scouting doesn't provide anything.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
One thing that really is funny to me is those who think the Sox are above criticism just because they won the World Series.

It's not like we are any less of a fan for questioning certain things.

If everyone were just ho-hum about everything the organzation does and just praised them, what fun would that be?

It would also give them no incentive to constantly improve.

Like it or not, most fans will never truly be satisfied and rightfully so.

I have no problem criticizing players/the team. However, the standards you two have are f***ing impossible. There is no such thing as a dynasty with a farm system consiting of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Honestly, it sounds like you and Flash want the following:

An all-star caliber team at the major league level winning multiple World Series, to the point that farm is insignificant.  However, the insiginificant farm must be damn good.

That makes no sense and is not even close to realistic.

Actually I took their points as being the all-star caliber club, that has every so often a good player that can contribute from the minors. Crede came up, and is now contributing.

To me there is some flaw in our development in the minors. Because all of our hitters that come up have the same exact hitting flaw. A long and looping swing.

Crede - Came up with a long and looping swing. Great numbers in the minors. Came up had a hard time adjusting.

Borchard - Long Looping swing

Anderson - Long looping Swing

Arow came up and swing was long. I know that Jeckle would disagree with this, as the swing is the model for all other swings in the universe. But it was long and looping. He adjusted

But why do our hitting prospects come up with the same swing and same flaws.