Anderson's hitting

59Sox

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
But why do our hitting prospects come up with the same swing and same flaws.

This is the only topic really worth talking about, IMO. Anderson isn't being replaced. Do y'all want Mack playing defense in CF?

What is going on down in our minor leagues that every young guy we bring up has exactly the same problem these days? And why can't we get our hitting coaches to fix that problem?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Actually I took their points as being the all-star caliber club, that has every so often a good player that can contribute from the minors.  Crede came up, and is now contributing. 

To me there is some flaw in our development in the minors.  Because all of our hitters that come up have the same exact hitting flaw. A long and looping swing.

Crede  - Came up with a long and looping swing.  Great numbers in the minors.  Came up had a hard time adjusting.

Borchard -  Long Looping swing

Anderson - Long looping Swing

Arow came up and swing was long.  I know that Jeckle would disagree with this, as the swing is the model for all other swings in the universe.  But it was long and looping.  He adjusted

But why do our hitting prospects come up with the same swing and same flaws.

I still don't know if our major league hitting coach is the man for the job, but I'll agree with you on the swings. Why every single pitcher just doesn't throw a slider low and away every single pitch is beyond me.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Honestly, it sounds like you and Flash want the following:

An all-star caliber team at the major league level winning multiple World Series, to the point that farm is insignificant.  However, the insiginificant farm must be damn good.

That makes no sense and is not even close to realistic.

I never said anything about an all-star caliber team winning multiple World Series.

What I want is better drafting and development.

Royce Ring a few years ago was awful. We passed over Joe Blanton for that guy and Billy Beane still rags on the Sox for that move.

And most of our first round picks have been awful.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Also, of note in regards to Anderson, Charlotte has been giving Sweeney some time in CF recently.

Yup, they've been putting him and Owens there recently. Sweeney is hitting .296 now.

I simply believe you're just expecting too much.

As I said earlier, I've never seen a team have the complete package at the major league and minor league levels. And I don't believe the Sox will be the first.

Hence, this argument will be cyclical and never-ending. So I'm moving on.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
I still don't know if our major league hitting coach is the man for the job, but I'll agree with you on the swings. Why every single pitcher just doesn't throw a slider low and away every single pitch is beyond me.

Heads watch how a lot of pitchers pitch the sox. I state this in chat all the time, they just setup low and away against us. It seems that this is the scouting report on the sox right handers. Just setup low and away. The minute you get to 2 strikes, try the slider away or in the dirt. Its funny because a pitcher who can hit the low and away spot will silence our right handers.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Also, of note in regards to Anderson, Charlotte has been giving Sweeney some time in CF recently.

Aboz I would say that if any of our prospects doesnt have a long and looping swing in our system its Sweeney.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
I have no problem criticizing players/the team.  However, the standards you two have are f***ing impossible.  There is no such thing as a dynasty with a farm system consiting of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals.

Hey, I call it like it is.

Our farm system and development recently deserves criticism.

The argument can easily be made with how many of our top prospects have become busts.

Its frustrating that all of these can't miss guys usually end up giving us relatively nothing.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
So did the Cubs, Indians, Dodgers, Twins, and others

You don't draft a left handed relief pitcher in the first round.

Bottom line.

That was an awful move by the Sox. I don't care who else passed over him, that's beside the point.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Aboz I would say that if any of our prospects doesnt have a long and looping swing in our system its Sweeney.

Well he may have his shot because I guarantee that if Anderson is hitting under .200 come June, this won't be tolerated.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
Heads watch how a lot of pitchers pitch the sox. I state this in chat all the time, they just setup low and away against us.  It seems that this is the scouting report on the sox right handers.  Just setup low and away.  The minute you get to 2 strikes, try the slider away or in the dirt.  Its funny because a pitcher who can hit the low and away spot will silence our right handers.

I would say this was the case in previous years. But one of the reasons that our players are hitting so well right now, Kong, Crede, is because they have adjusted to that game plan. They are hitting the ball to all fields. It takes time folks. Im not that worried about Anderson to tell you the truth. I see the talent there, he will adjust.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
I simply believe you're just expecting too much. 

As I said earlier, I've never seen a team have the complete package at the major league and minor league levels.  And I don't believe the Sox will be the first. 

Hence, this argument will be cyclical and never-ending.  So I'm moving on.

Hey you know I respect your opinion as much as anyone.

I think you make excellent points.

I also think for all that I criticize I also give the Sox credit where credit is due. I don't go out of my way to expect too much or rip for no reason. I pretty much tell it like it is for the most part (except for Buehrle who I refuse to rip.)

All the criticism is warranted by one simple fact--Central America produces 30% of ballplayers in the majors, yet we've somehow managed to avoid producing a quality player from that region in nearly 9 years. Longer if you consider both Lee and Ordonez were signed as FA's in 94' and 91' respectively.

Can't find your Liriano's and Hernandez's by refusing to travel south of Texas. Hopefully our baseball camp in Venezuela will serve to monopolize talent out of that country. :D :pray

Edited by Flash Tizzle

All I expected from Brian was to play a solid CF while he gets his feet wet in the majors. So far, the defense has been superb and it shouldn't be a shock to ANYONE that he's struggling at the plate. Why people seem so surprised at his offensive numbers is beyond me considering he's hitting 9TH! It's not like he's supposed to be putting up 3, 4 or 5 slot numbers on this team. Is he bad now? Yes. Was he supposed hit like Thome or Konerko? NO! Give the kid time and he'll be alright. It's not like he's struggling on purpose so give the kid a break.

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
All I expected from Brian was to play a solid CF while he gets his feet wet in the majors. So far, the defense has been superb and it shouldn't be a shock to ANYONE that he's struggling at the plate. Why people seem so surprised at his offensive numbers is beyond me considering he's hitting 9TH! It's not like he's supposed to be putting up 3, 4 or 5 slot numbers on this team. Is he bad now? Yes. Was he supposed hit like Thome or Konerko? NO! Give the kid time and he'll be alright. It's not like he's struggling on purpose so give the kid a break.

.140 is not acceptable, I don't care where he is hitting in the lineup.

His feet are not getting wet, his approach is simply awful.

"It was one of those games where everyone couldn't get it together," added White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson, who said he was surprised by the effective changeups offered up by the hard-throwing Sabathia. "That won't happen very often."

Hey Burls had a terrible outing today, maybe we can get Jerry Owens or Sweeney to replace him too!!!!

I swear, if its not "Pods SUCKS", its "Anderson is awful", if its not Anderson, people will probably be crying about losing Rowand again because he made some webgem and Thome struck out again 4 times. Anderson will be fine. It seems like certain people around here will stretch to find anything to argue about, especially when there really is nothing to argue about in the grand scheme of things. This place seems for on edge now than before we won the series...I guess we are turing into greedy Boston fans that expect nothign to go wrong and when it does, KILL. Not every player is gonna make the All-Star team, nor would I want them to. Give some credit to our coaches and scouts....both Anderson and Sweeney came to the team the same year, guess what Sweeney lost. Not even mentioning he is not a CF, nor will he learn to be one in a month.

Despite some of our guys struggling, Uribe is much more of a concern than BA, because this seems to be his trend during his time with us and as a ballplayer. I'd be willing to bet that moving Uribe up to 2nd was more to look into a possible benefit for him, rather than looking to get more production out of Iguci. Our offense is still very productive and very consistent thus far this year, BA has made up for his sloppy start by making me forget Rowand in CF. It's not like BA is the first rookie to have a bad first month at the plate in the majors.

I still laugh at the comments a couple weeks back on people wanting to "release" Pods. Sure Cubs fans boo at their players, probably becuase they dont even knwo who the hell they are... all some of u guys do is whine and b****. If BA comes back to have a stellar season and wins ROY, the same people will come back and gloat with "I told you so... what a stud."

This team has no place for bandwagoning fans. :huh

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 2, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
If BA comes back to have a stellar season and wins ROY, the same people will come back and gloat with "I told you so... what a stud."

This team has no place for bandwagoning fans. :huh

He has no shot to win ROY.

Also, some of us so-called bandwagoners have been here since Day 1 of this site...and much longer before that as Sox fans.

Sorry if we expect our CF to hit above .140. Maybe that's asking too much.

Mostly everyone around here I know of likes BA and want him to succeed. It's just frustrating to watch him take Borchard like cuts with that long swing, constantly falling behind in counts and failing to make adjustments. The guy moved fast through the system, which somewhat begs the question, was he really ready?

And for the record, I don't remember an outcry to release Pods.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
He has no shot to win ROY.

Because Liriano and Johjima and Jeff Mathis and Howie Kendrick are really tearing it up!

Edit, actually, it seems you're right, Paplebon is still considered a rookie isn't he? I thought he blew through the Service Time rule last season, but he was Rook of the month in Apr.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
Because Liriano and Johjima and Jeff Mathis and Howie Kendrick are really tearing it up!

Edit, actually, it seems you're right, Paplebon is still considered a rookie isn't he?  I thought he blew through the Service Time rule last season, but he was Rook of the month in Apr.

He was runner-up to Contreras for AL pitcher of the month and won AL rookie of the month for April.

With the way he's pitching, impressively thus far, he could challenge for 35 saves.

Also Liriano has been great as well, 14 relief innings, 21 K's and a 3.77 era. Pretty damn impressive.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 3, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
Hey, I call it like it is.

Our farm system and development recently deserves criticism.

The argument can easily be made with how many of our top prospects have become busts.

Its frustrating that all of these can't miss guys usually end up giving us relatively nothing.

The Sox system would have been top 10 if we had not of traded Gio Gonzalez (dominating in AA for Philly), Dan Haigwood and Chris Young.

I think the argument that our 1st round picks haven't done squat is a little harsh. Sure there's been misses like Ring, but I think the Sox's drafting over the past couple of years has improved.

Josh Fields has a +.900 OPS down at AAA in his 1st season there, IIRC. Broadway is doing pretty good down at B-Ham.

Look at teams like the Yankees. They've been good for a long time in the majors, but their farm system sucks. That's why at the deadline they couldn't trade for anyone good, because they had no quality prospects.

Our prospects got us Javier Vazquez and Jim Thome. And sure I would have preferred to keep Young over Anderson. But if KW and the hierachy rate him, then I think he'll turn out to be alright.

Remember Joe Crede didn't set the world on fire when he first came up, and look at him now, he's such an important part of this team. You've got to give young players time at the major league level, that's all there is too it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Name another team in the majors who hasn't had a single number one pick in the last 14 years make a solid contribution at some point to their big league club.

Since 1992, besides Kip Wells in 1998, the Sox have pretty much struck out in terms of first round picks.  And they gave up on Wells after a few seasons.

Is this coincidence or poor scouting and player development?

How many teams haven't had a top 10 pick in 15 years?