Rowand helps Phillies with comeback win!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
No such thing.

Well Anderson gets better reads, doesn't have to play as deep, catches balls in front of him, is faster, takes better angles, and has a stronger and more accurate arm. Other than that, Rowand is right there with him. Rowand right now is obviously a better player overall of course, but Anderson is a better defender in his sleep and if he can ever figure out how to hit, will be a better player.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 4, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
Well Anderson gets better reads, doesn't have to play as deep, catches balls in front of him, is faster, takes better angles, and has a stronger and more accurate arm.  Other than that, Rowand is right there with him.  Rowand right now is obviously a better player overall of course, but Anderson is a better defender in his sleep and if he can ever figure out how to hit, will be a better player.

Rowand got about as good of reads as anyone, Brian doesn't play as deep and is faster, no doubt. He might be a better defender but he certainly isn't ten times better.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
Rowand got about as good of reads as anyone, Brian doesn't play as deep and is faster, no doubt.  He might be a better defender but he certainly isn't ten times better.

Agreed. The only true diffrence I see between the two is the arm. Anderson is more accurate and stronger. But I'll say this, Rowand and Crede should had won gold gloves last year. If Rowand would had won one, this discussion is mute. That's the only thing you would have to say.

Gold Gloves

Rowand: 1

Anderson: 0 Nuff said.

But since that's not the case... :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
Rowand got about as good of reads as anyone, Brian doesn't play as deep and is faster, no doubt.  He might be a better defender but he certainly isn't ten times better.

Rowand is a Gold Glove calibur defender, to be honest my statement is more of a compliment to Anderson than a diss to Rowand. If Aaron can hit .300 (I say he can) and play that kind of defense that he does now, he will make a couple of All Star games for the Phillies.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 5, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
Agreed. The only true diffrence I see between the two is the arm. Anderson is more accurate and stronger. But I'll say this, Rowand and Crede should had won gold gloves last year. If Rowand would had won one, this discussion is mute. That's the only thing you would have to say.

Gold gloves mean absolutely nothing now. Just look at Derek Jeter winning one, or hell, Torii Hunter (who didn't even play for the last few months).

QUOTE(Felix @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Gold gloves mean absolutely nothing now.  Just look at Derek Jeter winning one, or hell, Torii Hunter (who didn't even play for the last few months).

The only name you have to bring up is Raffy Palmiero....after that they should just stop giving the award out.

As for Anderson and Rowand there are 2 major differences. Anderson plays a more shallow CF which allows him to get to more balls and I think he is better at going forward to get balls than Rowand was by far. And Anderson has a much better arm... especially in terms of accuracy.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 5, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
Gold gloves mean absolutely nothing now.  Just look at Derek Jeter winning one, or hell, Torii Hunter (who didn't even play for the last few months).

I'm not so sure about last year, but Jeter should've won at least one back in the late '90s.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm not so sure about last year, but Jeter should've won at least one back in the late '90s.

Jeter has consistently been in the bottom third range wise in the majors. I would personally have a guy who makes some more errors but gets to many more balls that should not go through for a hit. If there was an option between jose valentin or royce clayton i would take valentin every single time ( jeter is much like clayton fielding wise).

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Jeter has consistently been in the bottom third range wise in the majors. I would personally have a guy who makes some more errors but gets to many more balls that should not go through for a hit. If there was an option between jose valentin or royce clayton i would take valentin every single time ( jeter is much like clayton fielding wise).

Jeter's range was better back in the '90s than it is now. Granted, he wasn't THE most mobile SS back then either, but he made (and still makes) tough plays, as well as routine ones, with minimal errors. That's what really counts.

Of course, Jeter also broke into the league when Vizquel was still a bad-ass and winning GGs year after year after year, so it's no wonder that he didn't win one back then. But I think that he was certainly deserving of serious consideration.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
Jeter's range was better back in the '90s than it is now.  Granted, he wasn't THE most mobile SS back then either, but he made (and still makes) tough plays, as well as routine ones, with minimal errors.  That's what really counts.

Of course, Jeter also broke into the league when Vizquel was still a bad-ass and winning GGs year after year after year, so it's no wonder that he didn't win one back then.  But I think that he was certainly deserving of serious consideration.

Jeter's lack of range makes easy plays look harder than they are in reality... same goes for alot of players. He has never had a season that was gold glove caliber and never will... doesn't matter to win the award though as we all know.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Jeter's lack of range makes easy plays look harder than they are in reality... same goes for alot of players. He has never had a season that was gold glove caliber and never will... doesn't matter to win the award though as we all know.

One needs to consider more than range when evaluating a player. Dye has limited range, but still makes plays in RF becuase he gets great reads on balls and has a relatively strong arm. Pods has enough range to be an elite CF, but he lacks the ability to make good reads and has a below-average arm.

The knock on Jeter's range seems to stem from blatant Yankees-bashing. People hate the Yankees and hate the over-exposure on SportsCenter, so Jeter becomes an "overrated player" in the eyes of non-Yankess fans. :rolly I'll admit that his range was mediocre at best in his prime, but the bottom line is that he makes difficult plays (yes, even ones that would cause Uribe to break a sweat), makes the routine plays with few errors, and has an accuarte and relatively strong arm. And his "Baseball IQ" is about as high as it gets. Regarding defense only, I'd take Jeter in his prime over Valentin or Royce "The Choice" in their primes any day. Back in his prime (late '90s), I don't know of many SS I'd rather have, except of course for Vizquel and possibly Renteria.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
One needs to consider more than range when evaluating a player.  Dye has limited range, but still makes plays in RF becuase he gets great reads on balls and has a relatively strong arm.  Pods has enough range to be an elite CF, but he lacks the ability to make good reads and has a below-average arm.

The knock on Jeter's range seems to stem from blatant Yankees-bashing.  People hate the Yankees and hate the over-exposure on SportsCenter, so Jeter becomes an "overrated player" in the eyes of non-Yankess fans.  :rolly  I'll admit that his range was mediocre at best in his prime, but the bottom line is that he makes difficult plays (yes, even ones that would cause Uribe to break a sweat), makes the routine plays with few errors, and has an accuarte and relatively strong arm.  And his "Baseball IQ" is about as high as it gets.  Regarding defense only, I'd take Jeter in his prime over Valentin or Royce "The Choice" in their primes any day.  Back in his prime (late '90s), I don't know of many SS I'd rather have, except of course for Vizquel and possibly Renteria.

Dye's arm strength doesn't mean s***... he has vlad like accuracy.

When it comes to jeter... he is an elite offensive player... and a mediocore fielder. No one really has an arguement for him to be much better than mediocore in the field. Btw, there is no bias from me when it comes to sports, i may be the most unbiased person you will ever talk to. Doesn't matter if jeter is on the yankees, royals, cubs, brewers... i evaluate a player for what they are able to do on the field... not what jersey they wear.

Also, i might have taken that a-rod guy over jeter...

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 5, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Dye's arm strength doesn't mean s***... he has vlad like accuracy.

Which is why he plays RF. But he can still get the ball back into the infield quickly and reads fly balls better than most RFs. If range were the only factor used to evaluate his defensive skills, he'd be playing 1B.

When it comes to jeter... he is an elite offensive player

Uh, not really. He's a good offensive player who tends to make a lot of clutch hits. A-Rod and Tejada are in the "elite" class, but I don't think that Jeter is.

... and a mediocore fielder. No one really has an arguement for him to be much better than mediocore in the field.

What I've seen him do suggests otherwise. Range isn't everything. What I see a player do during a game (and especially a playoff game) carries much more weight than stats on range or fielding percentage.

Btw, there is no bias from me when it comes to sports, i may be the most unbiased person you will ever talk to. Doesn't matter if jeter is on the yankees, royals, cubs, brewers... i evaluate a player for what they are able to do on the field... not what jersey they wear.

Popular opinion influences everybody to a certain extent. I was actually beginning to believe that Ozzie's "Sunday Lineups" were killing the Sox last week.

Also, i might have taken that a-rod guy over jeter...

If you want to bring offense into the argument, sure. But if you're only talking about defense, I see very little difference in range or arm strength. But after the plays that A-Rod botched at 3B in the playoffs last year, I'll give Jeter the slight defensive edge.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 4, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Very nice to see him doing well, hopefully he keeps it up (although it won't be very noticed since Philly BLOWS).

I agree

And they still have a chance of making the playoffs, because everyone and their mothers have a chance making the playoffs in the NL.

As for the Jeter argument...his average season is .314 18 81 23 .386/.461/.847. That says elite to me, and if not elite, probably one step below. Those are acceptable numbers from a 1Bman, let alone a SS.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 4, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
They should have taken a package that included his #1 fanboy.

Anyone who'd rather have Anderson playing for us in CF then Rowand right now is either a:

1) Anderson fan boy, a pathetic breed that can't get over minor league numbers.

2) In serious denial.

3) Never saw a single game last year and forgot that Rowand actually hit almost .300 in the playoffs last year with amazing defense...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 6, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
Anyone who'd rather have Anderson playing for us in CF then Rowand right now is either a:

1) Anderson fan boy, a pathetic breed that can't get over minor league numbers.

2) In serious denial.

3) Never saw a single game last year and forgot that Rowand actually hit almost .300 in the playoffs last year with amazing defense...

Amazing defense, yes. Through the playoffs and world series, Rowand hit .267. Not exactly almost .300. In the Playoffs, he hit .250(7/28), You must be talking about the World Series, (5/17, .294), he had a brutal series against the Angels.