Rowand helps Phillies with comeback win!

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
Which is why he plays RF.  But he can still get the ball back into the infield quickly and reads fly balls better than most RFs.  If range were the only factor used to evaluate his defensive skills, he'd be playing 1B.

Uh, not really.  He's a good offensive player who tends to make a lot of clutch hits.  A-Rod and Tejada are in the "elite" class, but I don't think that Jeter is.

What I've seen him do suggests otherwise.  Range isn't everything.  What I see a player do during a game (and especially a playoff game) carries much more weight than stats on range or fielding percentage.

Popular opinion influences everybody to a certain extent.  I was actually beginning to believe that Ozzie's "Sunday Lineups" were killing the Sox last week.

If you want to bring offense into the argument, sure.  But if you're only talking about defense, I see very little difference in range or arm strength.  But after the plays that A-Rod botched at 3B in the playoffs last year, I'll give Jeter the slight defensive edge.

I do not have a problem with dye in the right... even though his best defensive days are behind him. His arm last year was a severe problem though...

Who has been a better lead-off/two hole hitter since he broke into the league? He is elite at what he does.

Jeter> a-rod in the field? You do realize the only reason jeter is starting at short over a-rod is because a-rod basically gave it to him... because it is ''his'' team. A-rod is clearly a step ahead of jeter defensively... but you rather go off of what you see during some playoff games. Statistics and watching the two play short tells me who is superior pretty easily.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 7, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I do not have a problem with dye in the right... even though his best defensive days are behind him. His arm last year was a severe problem though...

Who has been a better lead-off/two hole hitter since he broke into the league? He is elite at what he does.

Jeter> a-rod in the field? You do realize the only reason jeter is starting at short over a-rod is because a-rod basically gave it to him... because it is ''his'' team. A-rod is clearly a step ahead of jeter defensively... but you rather go off of what you see during some playoff games. Statistics and watching the two play short tells me who is superior pretty easily.

Ya, ARod is easily superior to Jeter at SS. Having Jeter at 3B wouldn't work nearly as well as having ARod there, so that's why things are the way they are now. It's working for them, but Jeter does lack range.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
If you want to bring offense into the argument, sure.  But if you're only talking about defense, I see very little difference in range or arm strength.  But after the plays that A-Rod botched at 3B in the playoffs last year, I'll give Jeter the slight defensive edge.

:lol:

I'm glad he's doing good and all but I honestly wouldn't have noticed if there wasn't a thread about this. I've moved on I guess and have accepted that he's not on the team anymore, that's the way it goes. I'll like him and all but center field belongs to Brian Anderson now.

Watching the game, and I'm reminded yet again why IMO Anderson is a far superior fielder. On a ball that Anderson jogs in and catches, Rowand freezes for almost a full second, but as a result of that it ends up being a spectacular looking diving catch. That play will be on sportscenter, but should have been a very easy catch and would be for Anderson, and shows why both Anderson is the better fielder, but also why not many will agree with me since to the typical fan it's just a great diving catch by Rowand.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
I'd rather have Anderson in CF with Thome at DH than Aaron and Jurassic.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love Rowand as much as anyone else but anyone who whines about Anderson need only look at the mondo production out of the 3 hole that came in the trade.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 7, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
MLB pitchers should all throw right at Bonds's knees.  Hopefully one of em will shatter his kneecap and end his f***ing career.

Why would you want to do that to such an honorable and venerable player?

Because he's black, right? And only because he dislikes the media?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 7, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Son of a dirty b****.

I was browsing and ESPN was running the Phillies against the Giants. First batter I see was Barry Bonds, and he jacks a monstrous homerun.

All I wanted was to watch a little Aaron Rowand. :(

Same here. Just when I turned the TV on I see Bonds hitting one out. :puke

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 7, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Why would you want to do that to such an honorable and venerable player?

Because he's black, right? And only because he dislikes the media?

LOL!

Honorable and venerable indeed. He was just awarded by Balco as their customer of the century.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 7, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
LOL!

Honorable and venerable indeed.  He was just awarded by Balco as their customer of the century.

What's wrong with being Balco's #1 customer? At least he made someone happy.

Not everyone can be as naturally strong as Chuck Norris. Get the f*** over it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 7, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
What's wrong with being Balco's #1 customer? At least he made someone happy.

Not everyone can be as naturally strong as Chuck Norris. Get the f*** over it.

LOL! You're cracking me up tonight.