Any news on Dye?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(fathom @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:14 AM)
It doesn't sound as promising as it did when he initially hurt it.  They said he was limping in the clubhouse on Wednesday.

That doesn't sound good. Then again, it could've been worse.

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
I have no problem with a platoon of Ozuna/Gload out in RF till Jermaine's 100% cuz when's he's healthy, the guy is as solid as they come and we'll need his clutch bat down the line!  :gosox1:

I agree we should put Ozuna in RF, we need to get his bat in the lineup even if it means sacrificing games by sticking a middle infielder in RF.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
It doesn't sound as promising as it did when he initially hurt it.  They said he was limping in the clubhouse on Wednesday.

I am starting to get really frustrated with this whole dye situation. This injury has now been a huge question mark for our lineup the last 2 weeks. I dont know why they dont put hom on the dl, he obviously is injured enough to be so. What it sounds like is they are not too sure why he is so hurt from just a calf strain. To me it sounds like a tear to partial tear and possible torn miniscus. I think him not being on the DL is an absolute joke and unfair to this team. To have that question mark hang over the teams lineup everyday in the clubhouse is not fair to the other 25 guys. Someone should be called up to get some playing time since JD has basically been not ready to play for at least 7 days. You might as well Dl him maybe retro to last week and call someone up and give JD another 7 or 8 days off while you really investigate the source of his limping and calf situation.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
I am starting to get really frustrated with this whole dye situation.  This injury has now been a huge question mark for our lineup the last 2 weeks.  I dont know why they dont put hom on the dl, he obviously is injured enough to be so.  What it sounds like is they are not too sure why he is so hurt from just a calf strain.  To me it sounds like a tear to partial tear and possible torn miniscus.  I think him not being on the DL is an absolute joke and unfair to this team.  To have that question mark hang over the teams lineup everyday in the clubhouse is not fair to the other 25 guys.  Someone should be called up to get some playing time since JD has basically been not ready to play for at least 7 days.  You might as well Dl him maybe retro to last week and call someone up and give JD another 7 or 8 days off while you really investigate the source of his limping and calf situation.

Do you have a "Jumping to Conclusions" mat at your front door, by chance?

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 5, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
I am starting to get really frustrated with this whole dye situation.  This injury has now been a huge question mark for our lineup the last 2 weeks.  I dont know why they dont put hom on the dl, he obviously is injured enough to be so.  What it sounds like is they are not too sure why he is so hurt from just a calf strain.  To me it sounds like a tear to partial tear and possible torn miniscus.  I think him not being on the DL is an absolute joke and unfair to this team.  To have that question mark hang over the teams lineup everyday in the clubhouse is not fair to the other 25 guys.  Someone should be called up to get some playing time since JD has basically been not ready to play for at least 7 days.  You might as well Dl him maybe retro to last week and call someone up and give JD another 7 or 8 days off while you really investigate the source of his limping and calf situation.

I'm not an M.D., but isn't the meniscus in the knee? One should easily be able to differentiate a knee from a calf injury. If he does have a calf strain, there are varying degrees of severity. He could be out from anywhere from a couple days to a month. My guess is that it's a low-grade strain, but I'm not sure why they haven't taken an MRI of his calf yet.

To me it sounds like a tear to partial tear and possible torn miniscus.

You're way off base. Lets start off with a question: Have you ever torn or strained your calf muscle? It's no joke, and it's not something that you can play through--because it almost certainly will get worse--like Dye's did.

I partially tore my calf last year, and I was layed up for about a month and a half. I would try and go for a run and it would get extremely sore about 10 minutes in. I'm sure that's what happened to Dye the game he had to come out.

And why does Dye need to go on the DL? Who are we going to bring up that is better than Ozuna/Gload? In case you haven't noticed, Chris Young and Jeremy Reed have been traded.

And I wouldn't say the lineup has really missed Dye. Sure, we miss his 950 OPS and protection for Kong, but we've been doing OK without him. I don't think the offense can keep it up without a healthy Dye, but a week or two won't hurt too much.

Dye might even be available to pinch-hit sometime next week. Unless he won't be able to do anything for the next two or three weeks, I don't see the point in putting him on the DL. As is stated above, there's really nobody worth bringing up at this point anyway.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)

:chimp

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm not an M.D., but isn't the meniscus in the knee?  One should easily be able to differentiate a knee from a calf injury.  If he does have a calf strain, there are varying degrees of severity.  He could be out from anywhere from a couple days to a month.  My guess is that it's a low-grade strain, but I'm not sure why they haven't taken an MRI of his calf yet.

You're correct. The meniscus is cartilage in the knee. They would not mistake one injury for the other. Calf strain take awhile to heal because they are the muscles which raise you up on your toes. Any running or pivoting is done on the toes so these aggravate the problem. Plus the muscles are short thick multipennate muscles and the cross section of fibers which get injured is pretty high and take longer to heal. It's best to rest him and wait until he can raise up on his comfortably so that there isn't a long term problem created.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
You're way off base.  Lets start off with a question:  Have you ever torn or strained your calf muscle?  It's no joke, and it's not something that you can play through--because it almost certainly will get worse--like Dye's did.

I partially tore my calf last year, and I was layed up for about a month and a half.  I would try and go for a run and it would get extremely sore about 10 minutes in.  I'm sure that's what happened to Dye the game he had to come out. 

And why does Dye need to go on the DL?  Who are we going to bring up that is better than Ozuna/Gload?  In case you haven't noticed, Chris Young and Jeremy Reed have been traded.

And I wouldn't say the lineup has really missed Dye.  Sure, we miss his 950 OPS and protection for Kong, but we've been doing OK without him.  I don't think the offense can keep it up without a healthy Dye, but a week or two won't hurt too much.

I was in reference to Magglois Injury in 04 when he collided with Willie. Maggs was held out of the lineup for several days, but when came back everyone breathed a huge sigh of releif with just a calf or muscle strain. He continued to play for sometime before finally going down with the nagging problem being diagnosed a meniscus tear. Then when he came back for that 1 game in cleveland July 31 I think it was and re-strained the muscle he was done for the year. So far to me this whole situation mirrors something just like that same situation. An injury that should be minor, why has it been a months worth of bothering him. Now 5 str8 days out the lineup this weeks, sometime out of the lineup last week. All sounds a little fishy for a mere strain and nothing else.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
I was in reference to Magglois Injury in 04 when he collided with Willie.  Maggs was held out of the lineup for several days, but when came back everyone breathed a huge sigh of releif with just a calf or muscle strain. He continued to play for sometime before finally going down with the nagging problem being diagnosed a meniscus tear.  Then when he came back for that 1 game in cleveland July 31 I think it was and re-strained the muscle he was done for the year.  So far to me this whole situation mirrors something just like that same situation.  An injury that should be minor, why has it been a months worth of bothering him.  Now 5 str8 days out the lineup this weeks, sometime out of the lineup last week.  All sounds a little fishy for a mere strain and nothing else.

I don't recall the specifics of the initial diagnosis of Maggs' injury, but I can't imagine that any doctor would confuse a meniscus tear with a calf strain.

As was mentioned earlier, a calf strain involves a tear of the muscle. That's NOT necessarily a minor injury, with "5 str8 days out of the lineup" being on the less-severe side of the injury.