Any news on Dye?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

As was mentioned earlier, a calf strain involves a tear of the muscle. That's NOT necessarily a minor injury, with "5 str8 days out of the lineup" being on the less-severe side of the injury.

Again, as has been said over and over on this thread: a calf strain is not NECESSARILY a minor injury. Anytime you strain a major muscle group in your leg as a bipedal being you're going to have problems.

That said, Dye remains day-to-day with a calf-strain. There is no reason to suspect anything else at this point. The injury might be worse than Sox are letting on, but I highly doubt it's a partially or fully torn meniscus. (sp?)

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
I was in reference to Magglois Injury in 04 when he collided with Willie.  Maggs was held out of the lineup for several days, but when came back everyone breathed a huge sigh of releif with just a calf or muscle strain. He continued to play for sometime before finally going down with the nagging problem being diagnosed a meniscus tear.  Then when he came back for that 1 game in cleveland July 31 I think it was and re-strained the muscle he was done for the year.  So far to me this whole situation mirrors something just like that same situation.  An injury that should be minor, why has it been a months worth of bothering him.  Now 5 str8 days out the lineup this weeks, sometime out of the lineup last week.  All sounds a little fishy for a mere strain and nothing else.

I dont remember anything mentioning a calf strain when talking about Magglio back in 04. It was a knee injury from the get-go. You are reading too much into nothing, IMO

Dye is resting his calf, and Mackowiak is getting more ABs. That is what Mackowiak was brought in for, insurance.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 5, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
I was in reference to Magglois Injury in 04 when he collided with Willie.  Maggs was held out of the lineup for several days, but when came back everyone breathed a huge sigh of releif with just a calf or muscle strain. He continued to play for sometime before finally going down with the nagging problem being diagnosed a meniscus tear.  Then when he came back for that 1 game in cleveland July 31 I think it was and re-strained the muscle he was done for the year.  So far to me this whole situation mirrors something just like that same situation.  An injury that should be minor, why has it been a months worth of bothering him.  Now 5 str8 days out the lineup this weeks, sometime out of the lineup last week.  All sounds a little fishy for a mere strain and nothing else.

Are you thinking of Magglio's edema?

Dye job: Jermaine Dye's tight left calf should be healthy enough for him to return to the lineup Tuesday or Wednesday against the Angels, Guillen said.

"I don't know for sure, but he feels a lot better," Guillen said. "He's spent a lot of hours with (trainer Herm Schneider). I think around those two days, he should be ready to play."

Dye missed his fifth straight game Sunday. He's hitting .329 with 19 RBIs in his last 19 games.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 5, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Do you have a "Jumping to Conclusions" mat at your front door, by chance?

If I remember the song correctly, the knee bone's connected to the leg bone, the leg bone's connected to the foot bone. Therefore I think he does have a valid point. I would order immediate exploratory surgery of the hip just to be on the safe side. Stat.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
If I remember the song correctly, the knee bone's connected to the leg bone, the leg bone's connected to the foot bone. Therefore I think he does have a valid point. I would order immediate exploratory surgery of the hip just to be on the safe side. Stat.

"The red thing's connected to my wrist watch..."

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)

Really? I was thinking Tommy John surgery, to tell you the truth. To me, this whole thing mirrors the Kerry Wood injury of 1999....

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
We're holding up ok without JD at the moment, so the Sox should give him as much time as possible to make sure that he's definitely 100% recovered from his injury.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

:gosox3:

QUOTE(effectivelywild @ May 10, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)
Ummm, he looked ok. The HR was down the RF line but was still a nice shot. I hope he's back. That #5 part of the lineup is hot.

Haha. You're brushing it off as if it were nothing. Dye looked great tonight, for not seeing live pitching for about a week. That could mess someone's timing off big time. Yet, he came back without missing a beat, with the oppo-field HR.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 10, 2006 -> 06:32 AM)
Haha. You're brushing it off as if it were nothing. Dye looked great tonight, for not seeing live pitching for about a week. That could mess someone's timing off big time. Yet, he came back without missing a beat, with the oppo-field HR.

He did look a little slow in the field to my eyes. May have just been taking it easy his first time out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
He did look a little slow in the field to my eyes. May have just been taking it easy his first time out.

He said something to that effect:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt10.html

NICE RETURN: After missing five games with a strained left calf, Jermaine Dye returned to the starting lineup Tuesday and showed no lingering effects of the injury.

Dye hit a solo home run in the third inning and moved around the outfield with full range.

"You always go into a game after an injury favoring it a little bit,'' Dye said. "I'm going to try to do everything I can not to think about it too much and then go from there.''