ESPN AM 1000: Programming Changes

This sucks, I liked Carmen and Silvy.

ROGRAMMING alert!

Sean Salisbury and Steve Rosenbloom to Launch New Mid-Day Show on ESPN Radio 1000

ESPN football analyst Sean Salisbury and Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Rosenbloom will host a new mid-day show for WMVP-AM, ESPN Radio 1000, announced Jim Pastor, President and General Manager WMVP-AM, and Jeff Schwartz, WMVP-AM Director of Operations. “Salisbury and Rosenbloom” launches Tuesday May, 9th and will air Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to noon.

Salisbury, a former standout quarterback for USC, began his NFL career as a walk-on and parleyed it into an illustrious 10-year NFL career, most of which with the Minnesota Vikings. He joined ESPN in 1997 as a sideline reporter for college football games and now serves as an NFL analyst for ESPN SportsCenter and Sunday NFL Countdown. He also co-hosts “The Huddle” weekends on ESPN Radio.

“I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to work in not only the greatest sports town in the country, but also one of the greatest cities period. I’m very excited to be living and working in Chicago”, Salisbury said, “This city has it all, great teams, great fans.”

Rosenbloom is a ten-year veteran of the Chicago Tribune where he writes a sports column. He is also the best-selling author of "The Best Hand I Ever Played: 52 Poker Lessons from the World" and a columnist for ESPN.com's Poker Club.

"This rocks. The chance to work at the top-rated sports-talk station and to work with someone who's as opinionated and feisty as Sean Salisbury is what sports talk radio is all about”, Rosenbloom said. “In a town where Bears football rules, I get to work with someone whom I think is the most knowledge football guy at the worldwide leader in sports – with apologies to Da Coach. Sean knows baseball, basketball and hockey as well, which I'm sure a lot of fans will be surprised about, so we'll play the hits, have fun, tell our truths and let the listeners tell theirs.''

"This is going to be an electric pairing”, Pastor said, “Sean's passion for everything sports matched with Steve's caustic wit is going to produce something Chicago radio hasn't experienced in a long time. I promise you it won't be dull."

“The Silvy and Carmen Show”, hosted by the duo of Marc Silverman and Carmen DeFalco, will be moving from its current mid-day slot to weekday evenings, 7 to 10pm, beginning Tuesday, May 9th.

“I love when a great plan comes together”, said Schwartz, “These moves make this radio station bigger and better.”

WMVP-AM, ESPN Radio 1000, the number one sports talk radio station in Chicago, is owned and operated by ABC Radio and is part of the Walt Disney Company.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Is this related to the fact that the Bulls may not be back at ESPN Radio next year (with the Sox gone of course already), and thus they are putting a very good show in the time slot they normally play in to try and grab listeners?

Well, I think that line of thinking may be a bit flawed. The early afternoon slot is far more coveted in terms of ratings while people are out and about at work, lunch, etc. It just comes down to ratings. It has seemed that for awhile now the Silvy and Carm show wasn't doing as well as it once was and in the world of radio it's all about "what have you done for me lately?"

Personally, I don't see how this will lead to a boost in ratings. I understand the switch and seeing as the younger crowd Silvy and Carmen play to may be more apt to listening in the evenings, but, putting two new-comers in that slot and expecting them to talk intelligently about Chicago sports seems a bit foolhardy.

Chicagoans know their sports and if ESPN thinks they can hand us a national guy and expect him to talk to us on Chicago baseball, for example, I think they are up for a rude awakening.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 5, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
I actually like the move, but it has HORRIBLE timing. Salisbury is a football guy, thats what he knows. Why put him on in the middle of baseball season, and possibly the WORST time to talk football. I dont understand that at all. I dont mind Salisbury, and I think they could have a solid show

Actually that's not entirely true. Salisbury is big on all sports if you heard on him MJH yesterday he said he would take a World Series game over the Super Bowl.

I just about had a heart attack this morning when Colin Cowherd came on. I was really bummed out, i thought Carmen and Silvy got canned. I guess I am in the minority, but I really like their show. It stinks that they are moving to the later slot, because I rarely tune into radio after 5 or 6, and the 7-10 shift on ESPN radio seems to be a neverending revolving door.

I have heard both Salisbury and Rosenbloom on the radio recently, and I think they could be fun.

Bold prediction: these local fans are going to eat Salisbury alive.

Unless this Rosenbloom is able to speak intelligently on local sports--and I'll be the first to admit I am not familiar with him--these two are done in six months' time.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Bold prediction: these local fans are going to eat Salisbury alive. 

Unless this Rosenbloom is able to speak intelligently on local sports--and I'll be the first to admit I am not familiar with him--these two are done in six months' time.

Rosenbloom has been covering Chicago a long time. He used to do a show on the Score on Saturdays and I liked it. I think he will be fine. Salisbury is just a nationally known name. Curious what this will do for his studio work at ESPN.

just gonna chime in my 2 cents. I'm in the young adult age group that happened to love the silvy and carmen show and agree that 7-9 sucks. There's a great chance i'm not gonna listen to that timeslot because after noon their is too much to do than listen to the radio. Lastly, its freakin baseball season at its best right now and i don't want to hear salisbary talk about it. Its best how it was. 1 cub fan 1 white sox guy, that makes for good radio. What is salisbury gonna do? like both teams? that doesn't fly to well with some people.. just a terrible move

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
7 to 9 pm? Sure limit your best radio show to a 2 hour block at night, smart.

wtf is wrong with ESPN 1000... carmen and silvy were the only show i listened to on their station.

i sure as hell wasn't listening to mike north.

Driving to class this morning I had Mike & Mike on, during the 7:20 break a promo comes on for the new SUPER f***ING AWESOME SEAN SALISBURY AND STEVE ROSENBLOOM EXTRAVA'f***ING'GANZA!!!

Yeah, I really won't be listening to that s*** every cut they had of Salisbury or Rosenbloom talking invlolved them saying something stupid about Football. I love football and all but at this point in time I really don't want to listen to footbal talk on the radio, I need my baseball talk damnit!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
Driving to class this morning I had Mike & Mike on, during the 7:20 break a promo comes on for the new SUPER f***ING AWESOME SEAN SALISBURY AND STEVE ROSENBLOOM EXTRAVA'f***ING'GANZA!!!

Yeah, I really won't be listening to that s*** every cut they had of Salisbury or Rosenbloom talking invlolved them saying something stupid about Football. I love football and all but at this point in time I really don't want to listen to footbal talk on the radio, I need my baseball talk damnit!

Salisbury is the one Im worried about when it comes to other sports. Rosenbloom can hack it, I have heard him on the radio before and he can talk sports..

Damn, I wish they could throw some money at Tony Bruno for the real Morning Extravaganza.

C&S had a nice show, but it was more like the conversation I have with my friends about sports. And I seldomly learned anything new from their show. I liked that they actually talked about the bulls. But I only listened to them cause I cant stand Mike north.

I learned one thing today.

Rosenbury and Salisburg can NEVER be as bad as that Colin Coward dolt.

I had the severe displeasure of listening to some of that crap while I waited for my daughter to get out of school. (half-day kindergarten, that's why)

Absolutely unlistenable - after about 10 minutes I actually tuned over to the Score for RELIEF!!!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I learned one thing today.

Rosenbury and Salisburg can NEVER be as bad as that Colin Coward dolt.

I had the severe displeasure of listening to some of that crap while I waited for my daughter to get out of school. (half-day kindergarten, that's why)

Absolutely unlistenable - after about 10 minutes I actually tuned over to the Score for RELIEF!!!!!

Yeah, Cowherd turned me over to the Score for Mulligan and Hanley, quickly. The score has become Cubs bashers, bigtime. I almost felt sorry for the organization this morning.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Yeah, Cowherd turned me over to the Score for Mulligan and Hanley, quickly.  The score has become Cubs bashers, bigtime.  I almost felt sorry for the organization this morning.

I heard that, some of the most enjoyable radio I've heard in a long ass time. I love when Cubs fans bash the organization, it's what they should have been doing for some time now.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Yeah, Cowherd turned me over to the Score for Mulligan and Hanley, quickly.  The score has become Cubs bashers, bigtime.   I almost felt sorry for the organization this morning.

Why? The Cubs organization is a joke that cares only about the bottom line, while 9 miles to the south you have the defending champs who are going balls out to defend a World Title. The Cubs are bashed these days on every T.V. and Radio station other than 720 on the dial and 9 on the tube, and deserve every bit of s*** they get.

Edited by whitesoxfan101