Has anybody been to seee...........

DePloderer

QUOTE(DePloderer @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
How about Wicked?

My mom loved Wicked. My dad didn't think it was terrible.

I know a lot of guys on here went to see it because of wives/significant others. It's no Jerry Springer Opera, but I've heard it isn't bad.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ May 7, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
I saw wicked about a year ago when the original crew was here in Chicago.  I thought it was pretty decent, my girlfriend really enjoyed the play.

where did the puke smiley go?

oh, here it is.

:puke

I did not entirely enjoy WICKED. While there were some nice moments, I wasn't overly impressed with the musical. The music, itself, was okay. Only one song stood out, Defying Gravity. The others were forgettable.

I will be seeing "Spelling Bee" in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know then what I thought.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 8, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
I did not entirely enjoy WICKED. While there were some nice moments, I wasn't overly impressed with the musical. The music, itself, was okay. Only one song stood out, Defying Gravity. The others were forgettable.

I will be seeing "Spelling Bee" in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know then what I thought.

man this threads like a slap in the face. but what do i expect from beer guzzling, bears loving, macho men like y'selves.

lol anyway - being a theatre major, and a singer, i'll give y'all my take for the helluvit.

Wicked is an amazing show. the plot is contrived - fine. the cast NOW sucks. true. but the music is un-freaking-believable and the spectacle is amazing. (defying gravity is incredible). The part of Elphaba - main character - is one of, if not the most challenging and vocally taxing roles ever written. the stuff she does is just pagiaghaskh.

the problem comes if you go in expecting it to suck - or wanting it to. then, of course, there will be lots of things you can rip apart. But if you go in to it just wanting to have fun and enjoy yourself - you wont be dissappointed.

Spelling Bee - i actually auditioned for this, but i'm too young, dont fit the roles. see they're all supposed to be like 30 year olds playing 10 year olds - pretty funny. anyway, i've never seen it but i have the soundtrack. it's HILARIOUS. you should have a great time (again, go in expecting to have fun and you will). Spelling bee is very much musically in the vein of Avenue Q (which i have beef with because it beat out Wicked for best original score.... come on now, all the music is just stolen from sesame street)

ok enough of that... hope you enjoy spelling bee

QUOTE(Reddy @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
man this threads like a slap in the face.  but what do i expect from beer guzzling, bears loving, macho men like y'selves.

lol anyway - being a theatre major, and a singer, i'll give y'all my take for the helluvit.

the problem comes if you go in expecting it to suck - or wanting it to.  then, of course, there will be lots of things you can rip apart.  But if you go in to it just wanting to have fun and enjoy yourself - you wont be dissappointed.

Spelling Bee - i actually auditioned for this, but i'm too young, dont fit the roles.  see they're all supposed to be like 30 year olds playing 10 year olds - pretty funny.  anyway, i've never seen it but i have the soundtrack.  it's HILARIOUS.  you should have a great time (again, go in expecting to have fun and you will).  Spelling bee is very much musically in the vein of Avenue Q (which i have beef with because it beat out Wicked for best original score.... come on now, all the music is just stolen from sesame street)

ok enough of that... hope you enjoy spelling bee

Actually I am heavily involved in Theatre. I am the Producing Director at a Theatre in Chicago. In addition, I am also an Actor.

I did not go into Wicked looking for it to suck, in fact I saw the show on Broadway. it never resonated with me. I look past the spectacle.

Spelling Bee I am really looking forward to also, plus I have a couple freinds in the cast.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 8, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
Actually I am heavily involved in Theatre. I am the Producing Director at a Theatre in Chicago. In addition, I am also an Actor.

I did not go into Wicked looking for it to suck, in fact I saw the show on Broadway. it never resonated with me. I look past the spectacle.

Spelling Bee I am really looking forward to also, plus I have a couple freinds in the cast.

sorry i shoulda used green

totally joking around....

sorry :ph34r:

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)

At the risk of turning SOXTALK into the Chicago Tourist Bureau; can you suggest any other plays/musicals, playing in Chicago mid August that my two teenage kids might enjoy? They wouldn't necessarily have to be at one of the major theatres.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ May 8, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
At the risk of turning SOXTALK into the Chicago Tourist Bureau; can you suggest any other plays/musicals, playing in Chicago mid August that my two teenage kids might enjoy? They wouldn't necessarily have to be at one of the major theatres.

Let me take a look around as theatre are annoucing their new seasons.

I'm PM you what I find...

Also check out:

http://centerstagechicago.com/

http://www.stagechannel.com/home/index.htm

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/stage/

They are good Chicago theatre resources

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
Let me take a look around as theatre are annoucing their new seasons.

I'm PM you what I find...

Also check out:

http://centerstagechicago.com/

http://www.stagechannel.com/home/index.htm

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/stage/

They are good Chicago theatre resources

Thanks.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
If you want an excellent Chicago show, take in either Second City, if you like comedy (many cast members go onto Saturday Night Live) or take in a preformance for Blue Man Group.  Both will give great nights of entertainment.

I saw Blue Man Group out in Vegas and left less than impressed.