J.Nelson

Soxfest

Nelson debuts in Charlotte:

Jeff Nelson, who was signed to a minor-league contract two weeks ago, made his debut for Charlotte and struck out two in two scoreless innings Friday in a 10-4 victory at Louisville.

Sox officials believe Nelson, 39, a 14-year veteran, will need about two weeks of evaluation.

hurry Jeff - Garland's taking the gas and he's going to wear out the pen in no time. :bang

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Nelson is healthy, and able to throw his pitches for strikes, then right-handed hitters throughout the league had better just go up the plate with a tree limb, because they have no chance. Trust me - when Jeff Nelson is on his game, and is healthy, right-handed hitters are just nothing more than "victims."

I truly hope this guy still has something left in the tank, because if he does, he's NASTY.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Oh, Christ...another minor leaguer?

Sorry, but, this is not the time to be breaking in rookies. Jenks was a fun story last year with his 100mph fastball and that hammer, but, unless Tracey has some velocity I am not aware of, give me some major league talent...the last thing this team needs is another kid to piss down his leg in the late innings.

Ian, nelson will be here soon, no worries, the sox have nobody else. There entire minor league pitching staff could come up here and get lit up. I also believe KW will get another pitcher around deadline. Hopefully they will use Sean Tracey to do it so he can prove himself off another team. You know like they did with the great BAJ, and the great Ring and the great almonte. Or we could bring up the great Munoz. hah

Guest JimH
Ian, nelson will be here soon, no worries, the sox have nobody else. There entire minor league pitching staff could come up here and get lit up. I also believe KW will get another pitcher around deadline. Hopefully they will use Sean Tracey to do it so he can prove himself off another team. You know like they did with the great BAJ, and the great Ring and the great almonte. Or we could bring up the great Munoz. hah

Nelson up with the team probably by the Memorial Day game in Cleveland? Maybe sooner.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 13, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Nelson up with the team probably by the Memorial Day game in Cleveland? Maybe sooner.

sooner. This guy know how to pitch he is not a kid. I want him here by the Cub series. wishful thinking but I would like him here to pitch in the 8th to rameriz.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 13, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)

another nice job by our five hundred pitcher. 12-12 and a ticket out of town at the end of the year? you never know.

Guest JimH
another nice job by our five hundred pitcher. 12-12 and a ticket out of town at the end of the year? you never know.

I don't know what his problem is, I suspect between the ears. All I know is if I had a 3 year $29 M contract I'd be quite the confident guy. He will have to find his own way, he better find it fast because he's looking like a #5. Do you remember what you and I said about Javier Vazquez ... tonite is a good nite to show his A level stuff.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I don't know what his problem is, I suspect between the ears. All I know is if I had a 3 year $29 M contract I'd be quite the confident guy. He will have to find his own way, he better find it fast because he's looking like a #5. Do you remember what you and I said about Javier Vazquez ... tonite is a good nite to show his A level stuff.

they will win the next two nights. garland is nit picking like he did two years ago. he is pitching like a pussy and not attacking the zone. Same old Jon. I just want him to get and stay above 500 so we can trade him to the padres at the end of the year.

"I'm questioning my pitches too many times,'' Garland said. "It has a little something to do with my confidence. Instead of just trusting, it's just, 'Let it go and here it is, hit it, hit it.' I don't have that feeling right now. It has a little something to do with confidence.''

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
The fact that we are pining for Nelson, a guy no team seemed very interested in after he was released by the Cardinals, speaks volumes about the Sox bullpen and farm system.

The fact that we are world champs and off to another great start speaks volumes about the Sox organization.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
The fact that we are pining for Nelson, a guy no team seemed very interested in after he was released by the Cardinals, speaks volumes about the Sox bullpen and farm system.

so true, agree completely. Thats why KW will make a trade for a reliever at the deadline if not sooner.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
The fact that we are world champs and off to another great start speaks volumes about the Sox organization.

Yes it does, but they are winning differently than last year, in a style that's not built for the long haul. The offense and starting pitching (for the most part) have been outstanding. The only real trouble spot is the bullpen. I'm sure KW will do something about it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)

hopefully i'm not misunderstanding your point, but it sounds like you are saying something like 'because we won the series, our organization as a whole is in great shape"

just ask the Marlins how that works out. i mean, we have put a lot into winning now, and that has meant getting close to decimating the farm system. you of course realize this, no?

we may run into the problem that Yanks had when we were both competing for Freddy Garcia in a trade. after years of winning and cashing in prospects, it came time to make a big midseason trade and they were completely unarmed, compared to what we could offer.

we apparently felt a little of that as we tried to get Baez last yr, even. maybe our one chance is Fields continuing his great year up til trade deadline.... but we'd better lock up Crede before that guy gets traded, or all leverage goes to Boras.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
hopefully i'm not misunderstanding your point, but it sounds like you are saying something like 'because we won the series, our organization as a whole is in great shape"

just ask the Marlins how that works out. i mean, we have put a lot into winning now, and that has meant getting close to decimating the farm system. you of course realize this, no?

I won't speak for him, but I don't think that's what he meant. The White Sox situation is totally different from the Marlins. The Sox minor leagues have been overrated for years, and that has actually helped KW, because he has been able to move some of these guys that have or will amount to nothing and get usable parts in return. It remains to be seen what Gio and Young turn out to be. They may be eventually be stars but if Vazquez and Thome lead the Sox to another WS, the price would be well worth it. The fact remains though, there just aren't any pitchers in the Sox minor league system right now that the organization could have any confidence in getting major league hitters out, I not counting Nelson,and the current White Sox bullpen needs another 1 or 2 of those guys. Its interesting that Lidge has been removed as the Astros closer. I wonder if his problem is mental or physical.

Edited by Dick Allen

Guest JimH

Jeff Nelson will walk a few guys, which he has been prone to do the last few years, and "washed up" will be bandied about here.

The trick will be working the trade market when some teams are out of contention.

How are Ugie Urbina's legal troubles coming along :lolhitting

Garland was fairly good in his previous 4 starts before last night's game. Hopefully it's just an aberration, the Twins have actually been swinging a pretty good bat lately.

Montero was brought up to pitch in games that don't really matter much e.g last night's game. He'll be back down soon enough.

Nelson's only pitched 2IP for Charlotte so far. It'll still be a while at least before we see him I'd say.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 13, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
The trick will be working the trade market when some teams are out of contention.

That has gotten trickier and trickier every year. Everyone thought they were in contention last year, and no one wanted to budge.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 14, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
That has gotten trickier and trickier every year. Everyone thought they were in contention last year, and no one wanted to budge.

Especially when a lot of other teams want bullpen help as well, and are in worse situations than us personnel wise.

its KW 's job to find somebody whether its hard or not. We will not win the whole thing with the team as it is right now. Just my opinion. Its always good to find holes we need a bullpen guy and quite frankly I said this prior to spring training. Lets think this way, what if one of our bullpen guys get hurt.. like politte or cotts. Then what? You have zero back fill that could come in. This division is closer this year its not weak like last year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 13, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Its looking like this year is going to be no different. KC, Florida and Pittsburgh are the only real dogs this season.

Hopefully Seattle tanks here pretty soon, as well as Colorado, because they both have some solid bullpen arms we could use.

I think Brian Fuentes, Rafael Soriano, JJ Putz or even everyday Eddie would make me very happy. Just as long as they dont let Guardado close

Eddie Guardado could actually be an option, depending on what happens with Seattle in terms of Putz doing good as the closer, Hargrove or Bill Bavasi getting fired, and the M's rebuilding.

We would still have to give up something fairly good in terms of prospects though.