J.Nelson

Soxfest

When was the last time Kenny Williams traded for -- or even signed -- a big name free agent reliever?

Look at the dominant relief pitchers that have carried the White Sox bullpen over the past five years. Bobby Jenks, Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte, Damaso Marte, Shingo Takatsu (verson '04), Flash Gordon, Kelly Wunsch, Keith Foulke -- not ONE in the bunch was a big name free agent signing. Guys like Politte, Hermanson, and Gordon were castoffs who other teams thought were done.

I just think that you guys hoping for a trade to save the bullpen are going to be letdown. First off, trading for relievers is a really stupid idea, considering how volatile these guys are (except for the very best -- those, BTW, cost an arm and two legs).

Kenny Williams will continue scanning the waiver wire, hoping someone slips, and, if possible, pick up a Matt Thorton type -- a guy who he believes that given the proper coaching, Cooper and co. can fix. I highly doubt, however, that you'll see KW trade Lance Broadway for a 'quick fix'.

I'm actually a little surprised that we didn't see KW go after one of the Japanese bullpen arms that came over this year. It seems that they tend to have a one year grace period, like that Takashi Saito for the Dodgers, who's been pretty good for LA thus far.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:28 AM)
When was the last time Kenny Williams traded for -- or even signed -- a big name free agent reliever?

Look at the dominant relief pitchers that have carried the White Sox bullpen over the past five years. Bobby Jenks, Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte, Damaso Marte, Shingo Takatsu (verson '04), Flash Gordon, Kelly Wunsch, Keith Foulke -- not ONE in the bunch was a big name free agent signing. Guys like Politte, Hermanson, and Gordon were castoffs who other teams thought were done.

I just think that you guys hoping for a trade to save the bullpen are going to be letdown. First off, trading for relievers is a really stupid idea, considering how volatile these guys are (except for the very best -- those, BTW, cost an arm and two legs).

Kenny Williams will continue scanning the waiver wire, hoping someone slips, and, if possible, pick up a Matt Thorton type -- a guy who he believes that given the proper coaching, Cooper and co. can fix. I highly doubt, however, that you'll see KW trade Lance Broadway for a 'quick fix'.

I'm actually a little surprised that we didn't see KW go after one of the Japanese bullpen arms that came over this year. It seems that they tend to have a one year grace period, like that Takashi Saito for the Dodgers, who's been pretty good for LA thus far.

I look in terms of what Larry Beinfest had to give up for 2 months of Ron Villione, and how much that decision paid off for the M's. If the market's going to be the same this season in terms of lower teams not wanting to give up their talent, it's going to be very hard for KW to trade for a reliever, like you said. No way, do I want to overpay for one.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Eddie Guardado could actually be an option, depending on what happens with Seattle in terms of Putz doing good as the closer, Hargrove or Bill Bavasi getting fired, and the M's rebuilding.

We would still have to give up something fairly good in terms of prospects though.

With the way Everyday Eddie has pitched thus far this year, I can't believe people actually want him. Hell, B.A. beat him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 13, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Koch was coming off a great season when we traded for him....

And, as everybody knows, that worked out just fantastic now, didn't it (leaving Cotts out of the equation for just a moment)?

Before making any moves, I'd like to see a couple of our AAA arms given a shot to succeed -- Tracey, Lopez, and Nelson. I'm willing to bet we'd 'hit it lucky' on at least one of those guys...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 13, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
And, as everybody knows, that worked out just fantastic now, didn't it (leaving Cotts out of the equation for just a moment)?

Before making any moves, I'd like to see a couple of our AAA arms given a shot to succeed -- Tracey, Lopez, and Nelson. I'm willing to bet we'd 'hit it lucky' on at least one of those guys...

Lopez sucks, Tracey may have a nice future, but he had a shot at a bullpen job this spring and was horrible is spring training. Nelson will most likely be with the Sox, but as I posted before, no one exactly knocked his door down after St.Louis released him after what appears to be an impressive spring. He is nasty on right handed batters, but lefties rake. As long as he's not hurt, I think KW should think about Brad Lidge. He just lost his closer's role, and makes around $4 million. Its very possible he's available, and a change of scenery may be just what he needs.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 14, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Keith, you asked the question, and I answered. I really didnt think how it worked out went into the equation....

Sure it does. It strengthens my point that relievers are extremely volatile. The most consistent guys are usually the best in the game, and I doubt those types are a.)available and b.)in our 'price' range.

Kenny Williams makes his 'money' in the bullpen by grabbing some project arms and castoffs, and generally, he grabs the right guys.

Dick Allen, I'm not saying Lopez or Tracey or Nelson are going to come in and be the next Scot Shields, although I happen to think Tracey will be a solid reliever in the future. But I think if Lopez right now is a better option than Boone Logan, as Lopez has had some success and he can miss some bats. Same goes for Nelson, although (again), in a limited role -- I'm talking as a ROOGY.

With Tracey, I don't care what he did in Spring Training. He clearly wasn't good, and his pitches had very little movement. A year ago, The Baseball Analysts talked about how much movement his pitches had. Hell, Jason's been talking about his nasty stuff for the past two years. He's certainly better than what he showed in Tuscon, and I think he's a guy who, in the very near future, can come up and do a solid job.