Your Kansas City Royals

UC76

With the Royals in town, I thought this was an interesting take on the owner, David Glass, who sounds like a real piece of s--t...

David Glass is angry.

"An angry David Glass vowed Friday that "significant changes" are coming soon to the woeful Kansas City Royals.

"I'm not willing for us to sit and wait to see if it gets better," the Royals owner told The Associated Press on Friday. "We've got to figure out what we've got to do to make it better. And that's what I'm working on."

So what did this man do to deserve a horrific baseball team ??

Exhibit 1

David D. Glass became Owner and Chief Executive Officer of the Kansas City Royals on April 18, 2000 after serving as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Royals since Sept. 23, 1993. The Board, comprised of Glass and other individuals appointed by Glass, approved his bid of $96 million for the Royals despite the fact a competing bid by Miles Prentice was 25% higher, at $120 million.

So as a member of the board for the Royals, he cheated a dead man's estate out of 24million dollars.

Exhibit 2

In 1992, NBC news series Dateline interviewed Glass during an investigation into Wal-Mart's "Made in America" and "Bring It Home to the USA" marketing campaigns. The show aired footage of children working in factories in Bangladesh making clothes destined for Wal-Mart, as well as footage of Wal-Mart stores with "Made in America" signs hung over imported goods. When asked about children in Asia working in sweatshop conditions, Glass' reply was "You and I might, perhaps, define children differently," and then said that since Asians are quite short, one can't always tell how old they were. Glass was shown photographs of one factory that burned down with the children still locked inside. He responded, "Yeah...there are tragic things that happen all over the world." Glass stormed out of the interview, which was terminated immediately by Wal-Mart.

Exhibit 3

During the Major League Baseball strike of 1994-1995, Glass, who was not yet owner of the Royals but chairman of the board administering the team after Ewing Kauffman's death, was one of the most forceful voices in opposing a settlement with the players' union, and supporting the use of "replacement" players, despite a court ruling that Major League owners were in violation of Federal labor laws.

To me it looks like he has gotten what he deserves. David Glass you are a pox on baseball, America and a free market economy.

Of course, I hope the Sox rout the Royals every time out, but that said, it's a shame that wastes of space like Glass get to ruin all the fun for people in Kansas City. I remember when the Royals used to be consistently good in the '80s.

QUOTE(UC76 @ May 6, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
With the Royals in town, I thought this was an interesting take on the owner, David Glass, who sounds like a real piece of s--t...

Of course, I hope the Sox rout the Royals every time out, but that said, it's a shame that wastes of space like Glass get to ruin all the fun for people in Kansas City. I remember when the Royals used to be consistently good in the '80s.

You can't raise payroll when your team isn't making enough money. I know every team would like a payroll like the Yankees, but you don't want to bankrupt your franchise. Without a salary cap the league will continue to have a level of teams that just cannot sustain sucess for more than a year or two.

QUOTE(UC76 @ May 6, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)

Maybe the change is that he'll sel to someone who cares about the team.

Bob

QUOTE(soxhawks @ May 6, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
You can't raise payroll when your team isn't making enough money.  I know every team would like a payroll like the Yankees, but you don't want to bankrupt your franchise.  Without a salary cap the league will continue to have a level of teams that just cannot sustain sucess for more than a year or two.

They are making some money, dont let the current state of the franchise fool you. Bad decisions in the front office are contributing to the demise of this once proud franchise. This isnt the be-all end-all argument, but Forbes list of MLB teams Valuations recently came out:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Rank_1.html

The Royals arent completely poor, but they are spending money on Doug Meintkieviczykjac and Mark Grudzelanek and Reggie Sanders, and they have refused to trade Mike Sweeney in the past 5 years, they have never addressed their starting pitching, they fire and hire coaches like its going out of style, and all of these bad moves or non-moves continue to haunt them. They cannot cry poor when they are putting a s***ty product on the field. If they put a competitive product on the field, they will fill up their stadium and make money hand over fist. KC fans want a winner, but I am sure all of this losing has gotten to even the most hardcore fans of the franchise.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 7, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
They are making some money, dont let the current state of the franchise fool you.  Bad decisions in the front office are contributing to the demise of this once proud franchise.  This isnt the be-all end-all argument, but Forbes list of MLB teams Valuations recently came out:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Rank_1.html

The Royals arent completely poor, but they are spending money on Doug Meintkieviczykjac and Mark Grudzelanek and Reggie Sanders, and they have refused to trade Mike Sweeney in the past 5 years, they have never addressed their starting pitching, they fire and hire coaches like its going out of style,  and all of these bad moves or non-moves continue to haunt them.  They cannot cry poor when they are putting a s***ty product on the field.  If they put a competitive product on the field, they will fill up their stadium and make money hand over fist.  KC fans want a winner, but I am sure all of this losing has gotten to even the most hardcore fans of the franchise.

isnt it funny to think about a lineup with Damon, Dye, Sweeney and Beltran... they coulda been amazing. i actually do feel bad for royals fans.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 7, 2006 -> 06:49 AM)
The Royals arent completely poor, but they are spending money on Doug Meintkieviczykjac and Mark Grudzelanek and Reggie Sanders

A couple of those moves make sense on some level...if you sign people to short contracts for average money, if you're willing to move those guys for prospects when teams suffer injuries or need to fill a hole come trading deadline time, you're in ok shape. Sanders for 1 better not remain with that team the whole year, if they have any brains at all.