Timely pep talk boosts Anderson

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Timely pep talk boosts Anderson

He hits solo homer, single to break out of 1-for-22 slump

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

Even with center fielder Ryan Sweeney hitting .425 in his last 11 games for Triple-A Charlotte and Brian Anderson .162 for the White Sox after slugging a third-inning homer and adding a fifth-inning single Saturday night, a switch never has been in the works.

"It hasn't even been a thought in my mind because I know what we have," general manager Ken Williams said. "In the long run, we'll be better off for it. One of the reasons we got Rob Mackowiak was in case Brian started out struggling.

"It's part of the growth and evolution of a young player."

Anderson got his first start Saturday in four days and made the most of it when he gave the Sox a 2-0 lead with a solo homer, his third. But he entered the game without a hit in his last six at-bats and with only one in his last 22.

The prolonged slump prompted Williams, a former White Sox minor-league director, to have a talk recently with Anderson.

"It was not unlike the conversation I had with Aaron Rowand a couple of years ago when he was doubting himself," Williams said. "I told him, 'We're just going to wait for you to believe in yourself as much as we believe in you.'"

Manager Ozzie Guillen probably will play Anderson Sunday in an effort to see if his Saturday success is the start of something. The decision to start Anderson again was an attempt to bolster his sagging confidence.

"We want to make sure he knows we still believe in him, make sure he knows I don't think he's a platoon player, not a once-a-week guy," Guillen said. "If [players] aren't consistent, it's better to go to the minor leagues to keep developing. But right now I don't think he should do that.

"He should just keep playing. I don't tell a player to be careful, that he might go to the minors."

Anderson said he used the days off to take as much extra batting practice as he could.

"When things are going good, you want to keep going," he said. "When you're struggling, you want to get out and work on stuff as much as you can."

So Anderson is safe, for now. But when does Williams change his mind about kids?

"When they stop believing in themselves," he said. "But if you're wearing this uniform, that means one very important thing: We all believe in you. Sometimes even when you lose confidence in yourself, we keep believing in you."

Even with center fielder Ryan Sweeney hitting .425 in his last 11 games for Triple-A Charlotte and Brian Anderson .162 for the White Sox after slugging a third-inning homer and adding a fifth-inning single Saturday night, a switch never has been in the works.

Ryan is banged up. That could be the reason :P

I don't think Brian is going down anytime soon. Uribe and Mackowiak are not hitting any better. Hopefully all 3 are going to break-out, soon.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ May 7, 2006 -> 04:47 AM)
Hopefully Anderson is starting to get on the right track and will start hitting.  I wonder how long it will be before Sweeney is brought up from Charlotte.

He will only be brought up if Anderson is worse than he is now. For one he isnt a natural CF although can play the position. Also he really needs the time down in AAA and I dont think KW wants to do anything that will stunt his growth as a player. Also he probably wouldnt do all that much better than Anderson anyways.

Brian was easily our best hitter tonight going 2 for 4 with a HR. He's hitting .176 now, which means he's hitting .191 this month now.

But he is hitting so badly in away games .091/.200/.182, that's what he needs to pick up on.