e3 2006 Thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(SmokeandMirrors @ May 9, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Actually, the controller was changed. It no longer looks like a boomerang. Which is a shame.. now if you throw them in anger they won't return to you. If you go to ebgames.com and click on the PS3 link under Specialty Shops you can check out the controller. It looks exactly like the PS2 one, except it's wireless and has a guide button in the middle (not quite the size of the 360 controller guide button though).

Ahh... It's good to see at least one of the companies can design a controller right the first time and stick with it throughout the newer versions of the system. I would hate having to get used to a new controller every time I bought the lastest system.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
And I can't wait 'til I have my navy blue DS Lite at a very good price while sony is scrambling and knocking down the psp price. :)

So Nintendo is duping people into buying a newer version of the same thing they already have just because it's a little bit smaller and the screens are brighter? :huh

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 11, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Ahh... It's good to see at least one of the companies can design a controller right the first time and stick with it throughout the newer versions of the system. I would hate having to get used to a new controller every time I bought the lastest system.

So Nintendo is duping people into buying a newer version of the same thing they already have just because it's a little bit smaller and the screens are brighter? :huh

1st, I don't believe you can use the Sony PlayStation 2 controllers on PS3. The new PS3 controllers will not have rumble(absolutly terrible choice, I know), and will have to be wireless.

2nd, PSP is getting a redesign as well, so both companies deserve some critisism is that area(Even though I admit I'll be picking up the DS Lite when it hits).

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
1st, I don't believe you can use the Sony PlayStation 2 controllers on PS3. The new PS3 controllers will not have rumble(absolutly terrible choice, I know), and will have to be wireless.

I didn't figure that. I just like the fact that when you pick it up it looks and probably feels like what you're already used to from the PS and PS2. Compare that to the varations between SNES, N64, GC and now Wii.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
2nd, PSP is getting a redesign as well, so both companies deserve some critisism is that area(Even though I admit I'll be picking up the DS Lite when it hits).

Really? I hadn't heard that. What are they doing it?

My oldest daughter has a DS and now she wants a DS lite.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)

If I do decide to buy it, I'll be a first-time buyer.

Having many more great games (does psp have any?) made me interested in getting it after having no interest at first and waiting to see what the came out with, and the much prettier design kinda seals the deal.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 9, 2006 -> 05:44 AM)
Here is the new PS3 controller

I hope that little thing can take a beating, because controllers generally do.

Actually, that was the old remote they were going to use up until everyone hated it. Now they just have a DualShock remote, but without the shock. No vibrations in their controllers.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
500 for the 20 gig hardrive

But the 500 dollar one dosent have wifi or a memory card slot either.

or HDMI ports.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)

There will be no rumble on the PS3 remotes because they were sued by the company who came up with the vibration technology. Same goes with Microsoft, but they ended up settling out of court and Microsoft purchased the tecnology. If the PS3 wasn't so expensive to make, then they probably would've included this, but the PS3, with it's $600 tag, will be selling at a $100-$200 deficit. And I believe you could use the PS2 remotes(though don't quote me on this). The new remotes will be wireless(bluetooth technology), but you'll also be able to plug them in.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
If I do decide to buy it, I'll be a first-time buyer.

Having many more great games (does psp have any?) made me interested in getting it after having no interest at first and waiting to see what the came out with, and the much prettier design kinda seals the deal.

I've been turned off by the touch-screen since the first time I saw it. It was a display model in a store and the screen was all scratched up. I was suprised the touch-screen still even worked...

Suprisingly, there are more games for the PSP than for the DS. 367 to 326. I admit I've never played any of them though so I can't comment on how many of them are any good.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
I've been turned off by the touch-screen since the first time I saw it. It was a display model in a store and the screen was all scratched up. I was suprised the touch-screen still even worked...

Well yeah, all display models in stores are beat to hell. Kind of a poor choice to do with a handheld like that. I have some friends that have a DS, and their touch screens arent all scratched up and beaten up. They take care of it.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
I have a feeling Sony is going to be taking some serious losses on PS3 if they are charging $600 bucks. People can afford it but why not just invest it towards a computer at that price?

I honestly dont think the casual/average gamer can afford something at that price. It makes the Xbox 360 seem like a bargain and the supposed proice of the Wii($150-$200) seem bargain basement.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
I have a feeling Sony is going to be taking some serious losses on PS3 if they are charging $600 bucks. People can afford it but why not just invest it towards a computer at that price?

Rumor has it Sony is going to be LOSING upwards of $400 per system at that price point. With the 360, Microsoft is losing somewhere between $100-$200...hence the high price for games ($60) and accessories. With these kinds of losses incurred from the start, I'm thinking PS3 games are going to cost even more. When everything starts to come out, I have a feeling the $600 price tag on the console won't be the only absurd price point.

• 2 months later...

e3 in May gone for good.

For twelve years now, gaming professionals and geeks alike have gathered for a week of electronic entertainment frenzy. The annual Electronic Entertainment Expo has hosted giants and small players alike as companies present their latest game titles and hardware to media, retailers, and colleagues. The event crammed the Los Angeles Convention Center with blazing lights, blaring speakers, bustling crowds, and endless activity -- before spilling into flashy press conferences and notoriously decadent after-hours parties.

Now, E3 as we've known it is a thing of the past.

The Entertainment Software Assocation, which hosts E3 each year, announced today that going forward the Expo will be an "intimate event" rather than a massive trade show, hosting press events and small meetings with media, retailers, and developers. According to Electronic Arts, the redesigned E3 will now take place in July.

The new E3 will still be hosted in Los Angeles, and will still offer game demonstrations. However, the significantly smaller format acknowledges that many companies -- especially larger outfits such as Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts, and Microsoft -- already host their own showcase events. Additionally, regional events such as the Tokyo Game Show and the Games Convention in Leipzig have lessened the need for what the ESA describes as a single "mega-show."

"The world of interactive entertainment has changed since E3Expo was created 12 years ago," commented ESA president Douglas Lowenstein. "At that time we were focused on establishing the industry and securing orders for the holiday season. Over the years, it has become clear that we need a more intimate program, including higher quality, more personal dialogue with the worldwide media, developers, retailers and other key industry audiences."

Prior to this morning's announcement, industry buzz suggested that larger companies had become frustrated with the high cost of E3 and decreasing benefits of marketing at the show. Additionally, preparing games for E3 often means taking development teams away from work on final versions while demonstration builds are polished -- a costly process.

Publishers such as Capcom and Electronic Arts have already announced their support for the new format. Electronic Arts told IGN that it is "very supportive" of the show's new approach, and plans to participate next July.

"When the show began 12 years ago, it was a great opportunity to meet with buyers, media and partners," an EA spokesperson explained. "Over time though, the timing has become disruptive to the studios and the costs have become expensive.

"The July event is less disruptive to our development schedule. We think that software shown in July will be a more accurate reflection of the games that will appear in stores later that year."

According to the ESA, the new E3 will take shape "over the next several months," as the trade organization finalizes what it hopes will be an event to better serve the industry.

"E3Expo remains an important event for the industry and we want to keep that sense of excitement and interest, ensuring that the human and financial resources crucial to its success can be deployed productively to create an exciting new format to meet the needs of the industry," said Lowenstein. "The new event ensures that there will be an effective and more efficient way for companies to get information to media, consumers, and others."

The first E3 was held in Los Angeles in 1995 by the Interactive Digital Software Association (now the ESA). At the time, a new generation of consoles was rising, as SEGA released the Saturn, Nintendo offered its Virtual Boy, SNK its Neo*Geo CD, and Sony entered the market with a little console called the PlayStation.

Last year's E3 admitted more than 60,000 attendees and hosted about 400 exhibiting companies, according to the ESA.