Another notable thing about Crede

jenksd

5 Strike Outs so far this year. ONLY FIVE STRIKE OUTS. That is less than half of any other regular player on this team, in fact Mackowiak even has 12 in almost half of the at bats. Not only is he pounding the ball, he's making contact. Amazing year for him in every possible way so far.

Crede has those 5 strike outs in 108 ABs

In fact, doing a quick check at MLB.com, the only players with as few strike outs in a comparable number of ABs are Omar Vizquel(5 in 102 ABs), Moises Alou(4 but in only 82 ABs), Luis Castillo(4 in 92 ABs), Toby Hall(4 in 94 ABs), Placido Polanco(4 in 108 ABs, only one Walk too though)

These are the only guys in all of baseball with 5 or less strikeouts in more than 80 At Bats. And only one of them could be considered a power hitter(Alou). Big props to Joe.

Edited by jenksd

Guess we'll never have to hear someone call him "Cruddy" again right?

Joe's almost been the MVP of this team so far, besides Thome.

Some people thought he wouldn't be able to carry on his good September / playoff form from last season, but he's proved them wrong.

The transformation of Joe Crede from this time last year to now if phenomenal! Just everything about the guy...his confidence really shows. Was this a result of hangin' with ARow and AJ all last year? Who knows...all I know...he's one of the best in the league right now and want him in a Sox uni for a very long time!

i'm not real sure where to look, but if Crede were to hit similarly to his minor league days, what kind of #'s could we expect? Was he nothing but average with a little bit of pop, a power guy with only a decent avg, or was he just an all around dominant offensive player- pop+avg.?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
I'm still a little leery of Joe at the moment.  I mean, this is almost too good to be true.  I always knew he had it in him, though.  I'm gonna wait another month before I deem this the 'new' Joe Crede.

This wasn't meant to be a Crede>A Rod or Chavez thread. But to point out how phenomonal 5 strikeouts in 100+ ABs is.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
i'm not real sure where to look, but if Crede were to hit similarly to his minor league days, what kind of #'s could we expect?  Was he nothing but average with a little bit of pop, a power guy with only a decent avg, or was he just an all around dominant offensive player- pop+avg.?

His minor league numbers were very solid. He hit for average and power. I believe he even won the Southern league player of the year in '00 or '01.

QUOTE(jenksd @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
This wasn't meant to be a Crede>A Rod or Chavez thread. But to point out how phenomonal 5 strikeouts in 100+ ABs is.

I know exactly what you meant. What Crede's done so far at the plate this year has been amazing. I just want to see him do it for atleast half a season before I get excited.

QUOTE(3RDBASE @ May 9, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
I think before its said and done Joe will be remembered as one of the best 3B's in White Sox history!!!!

World Series Rings.

Crede-1

Ventura-0

To me, he will always be remembered for that.

Not to rain on the parade, but you guys know how little a guy's SO percentage correlates to his runs created, right? That the drawback in him "not generating a productive out" is easily counterbalanced by the fact that when he strikes out he can't hit into a double play, yes? Over the course of a season, a player's strikeout numbers mean very little except that they drive down his OBP. Regardless, for a player with identical batting average, on-base-percentage, and slugging percentage---the statistics show that there's no real difference. And while I'll agree that Crede is hitting really well this year, it has more to do with his lack of weak outs than the number of his strikeouts.

QUOTE(effectivelywild @ May 10, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
Not to rain on the parade, but you guys know how little a guy's SO percentage correlates to his runs created, right? That the drawback in him "not generating a productive out" is easily counterbalanced by the fact that when he strikes out he can't hit into a double play, yes? Over the course of a season, a player's strikeout numbers mean very little except that they drive down his OBP. Regardless, for a player with identical batting average, on-base-percentage, and slugging percentage---the statistics show that there's no real difference. And while I'll agree that Crede is hitting really well this year, it has more to do with his lack of weak outs than the number of his strikeouts.

I'm really not going to waste my time with all that Billy Beane Tom Foolery, but let me say this: there is a much better chance of Crede getting on base when he makes contact then their is when he strikes out, and I think the sharp raise in Crede's average and sharp drop in strikeouts is no coincidence. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but Crede's walk ratio thusfar isn't much different than it ever has been, so his on base percentage isn't really affected, other than the fact it's obviously way up due to his BA being so high.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
I'm really not going to waste my time with all that Billy Beane Tom Foolery, but let me say this: there is a much better chance of Crede getting on base when he makes contact then their is when he strikes out, and I think the sharp raise in Crede's average and sharp drop in strikeouts is no coincidence.

Ya, I'd have to agree that there is a direct correlation there. :D

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
I'm really not going to waste my time with all that Billy Beane Tom Foolery, but let me say this: there is a much better chance of Crede getting on base when he makes contact then their is when he strikes out, and I think the sharp raise in Crede's average and sharp drop in strikeouts is no coincidence. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but Crede's walk ratio thusfar isn't much different than it ever has been, so his on base percentage isn't really affected, other than the fact it's obviously way up due to his BA being so high.

1. Shut up. All I'm saying is that the relationship betweens Runs Created---hello, a stat you obviously don't seem to grasp---and Strikeouts is one you don't seem to grasp. Here is what I am saying so that I am not misunderstood: Obviously, it is better if a player puts a ball in play than if he strikes out. With any ball in play, there is a certain baseline chance (for statistical purposes, this is often rounded to .300) that this will result in a hit. What I am saying is that the difference between, say, a groundout and a strikeout---assuming the same number of hits and thus, assuming a same batting average---is more or less similar to a runs created scenario. If I need to, I will look up the supporting numbers to back up my claims, but my idea stands: on average, a groundout is not better than a strikeout.

That being said, Crede's raise in average and drop in SO's could be a result of an adjustment at the plate. Maybe he has made an adjustment with two strikes at the plate---a tendency to go the other way on two-strike pitches would do this. Obviously, this is something I'd need a lot of data to assess. Regardless, let's recognize that we are on the same side; Crede is hitting well and we hope it continues.