Charlie Haeger to likely start Wednesday

wcw2323

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say ALL of the things that some of the posters here have said is true....

1) Contreras isn't making his start Wednesday

2) Count was seen limping yesterday

3) Haeger is being called up to take his place in the rotation.

Let's review how many ways this doesn't make sense.

1) If Haeger is getting called up, somebody else has to go on the DL or get sent down. The only candidate for being sent down is Boone Logan. There are no candidates for being put on the DL (though I wouldn't be surprised if Cliff didn't make it through the season without a trip to the doctor) Contreras' limp, unless it was something of the magnitude of say an ACL tear, is not going to prompt the White SOx to put him on the DL.

At worst, they would allow him to skip a start, with McCarthy replacing him, and evaluate him further in a few days. Contreras' start is still over 48 hours away. Unless he has a gangrenous limb, the Sox aren't going to make a final decision until Tomorrow at the earliest.

Think about the McCarthy/El Duque situation last year. McCarthy wasn't notified until about 24 hours before his first ML start. The Sox are going to take a wait-and-see approach with all of their pitchers. In fact, with the off-day today, the Sox don't have to make a decision until they go through their rotation a full time. Saturday at the earliest.

So until you can provide concreate evidence that Contreras has a SERIOUS health issue, (or at least that someone in his immediate family is ailing, prompting a Bereavement list trip) you're just blowin smoke.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)

1) If Haeger is getting called up, somebody else has to go on the DL or get sent down. The only candidate for being sent down is Boone Logan. There are no candidates for being put on the DL (though I wouldn't be surprised if Cliff didn't make it through the season without a trip to the doctor) Contreras' limp, unless it was something of the magnitude of say an ACL tear, is not going to prompt the White SOx to put him on the DL.

At worst, they would allow him to skip a start, with McCarthy replacing him, and evaluate him further in a few days. Contreras' start is still over 48 hours away. Unless he has a gangrenous limb, the Sox aren't going to make a final decision until Tomorrow at the earliest.

Think about the McCarthy/El Duque situation last year. McCarthy wasn't notified until about 24 hours before his first ML start. The Sox are going to take a wait-and-see approach with all of their pitchers. In fact, with the off-day today, the Sox don't have to make a decision until they go through their rotation a full time. Saturday at the earliest.

So until you can provide concreate evidence that Contreras has a SERIOUS health issue, (or at least that someone in his immediate family is ailing, prompting a Bereavement list trip) you're just blowin smoke.

Cheat, that is just no fun.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)

This post lacks moral support.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)

Even beyond that, it's worth noting that aside from his wife and kids, most of his immediate family is probably still in Cuba, and he won't be going back there for any visits.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
Guys, you may want to listen to our radio show.  Mario and I's sources said that Contreras was being treated for his back.

there is no room for reality here, silly admin.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Spasms?

I don't know more than it being a back problem. As far as Dye goes, he's still tight and is going to miss a few more games, unless his swelling goes down relatively quickly.

Sorry I don't know more on the issue, but there could very well be truth to this. I wish I knew another person to verify this with on the minor end of things, but my guess is the Sox are keeping things tightly sealed right now.

Edit: I want everyone to know I have no idea whether Contrera's treatment was for a back problem that has been long going or if it is something new that came up. That I could not tell you.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
I don't know more than it being a back problem.  As far as Dye goes, he's still tight and is going to miss a few more games, unless his swelling goes down relatively quickly.

Thus there is validity to this rumor?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Thus there is validity to this rumor?

I haven't gotten any sort of verification from the minor league end (in terms of Haeger), however, I have been hinted at if the Sox were going to give a guy just 1 start it wouldn't be Bmac simply because they don't want to disrupt him while he's working on figuring out the pen (unless it was for a few starts); plus if Jose were to miss a start, Ozzie is reluctant skipping his turn since he wants to keep our starters as rested as possible due to the post-season run.

However, I think there IS a potential story here and in a day we this could be a FACT.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
If there is truth to this rumor, it would seem the Sox are throwing Haeger to the wolves.  Wouldnt Redding be a better spot starter,seeing as he actually has MLB experience?

Redding is terrible though. At least with Haeger, you have the chance of him being a diamond in the rough at the MLB level. If Contreras is only going to miss a week or so, I have no problem giving Haeger the start.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
If there is truth to this rumor, it would seem the Sox are throwing Haeger to the wolves.  Wouldnt Redding be a better spot starter,seeing as he actually has MLB experience?

Tim Redding of the 4.91 ERA and 1.46 WHIP at AAA?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)

Depends, Haeger has kicked ass in the minors and a knuckler could be the exact type of guy that comes up and really baffles guys in his first start. Especially one who also has a pretty good fastball.

Haeger could start as soon as today, however, we won't have any indication from the Charlotte end of things (in terms of a skipped start) since he isn't technically due to throw till the 10th due to 2 games being rained out this week.

However, if he were to take the start on the 5th day (and those rainouts didn't happen) he would have pitched for the Knights tonight.