Charlie Haeger to likely start Wednesday

wcw2323

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
I realize you are also one to stir the pot, but, I'll answer.

I would rather have Redding.  No, Redding doesn't pitch with smoke and mirrors and may not be aesthetically pleasing, but, he has 21 wins against major league ballclubs and we know he isn't going to piss down his leg in front of 30K.

I don't stir the pot... i am just realistic and i can point out the negatives along with the positives of the white sox... which i realize is hard for some hard core fans ( not saying you... just in general).

Tim redding is a man that has a career 5.16 era in the national league. He has over 100 games pitched and 79 starts in the big leagues and just 21 wins? Given up more 50 more hits than innings pitched, not a strikeout pitcher since his first year in the league, and walks his fair share of batters. He has been considered one of the worst pitchers to stick around the the league ever since he has been around. There is really no reason a pitcher of his caliber is up on a major league team... but there is usually a player like that on each team. His career 3.85 era in the minors is nothing amazing even though his 10.5 strikeouts per 9 was impressive.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Thanks, Hawk. :P

Does Hawk say that? I have no idea, but has anyone ever been drafted as a knuckleball pitcher? I think most of the famous ones, I'm not sure of Hoyt Wilhelm, were guys who were meat throwing conventional pitches. Bruce Sutter was meat until someone taught him the split, now hundreds of pitchers throw it. Its strange to me that more don't throw a knuckler. It is hard to control, and very difficult on the catcher, but a guy like Wakefield can pitch forever and never hit 80 on the gun.

Edited by Dick Allen

Guest JimH
I don't stir the pot...

I never really have understood that Cleveland Indians avatar of yours though. Seems out of place on a White Sox board but I'm probably not in on a joke or something so if that's the case I apologize.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
I never really have understood that Cleveland Indians avatar of yours though.  Seems out of place on a White Sox board but I'm probably not in on a joke or something so if that's the case I apologize.

He's an Indians fan.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
good luck charlie. :D

get better count. :crying

Still waiting for the 50 guys who were naysayers and basic lemmings today to stand up and apologize for the BS they were slinging. I chose to not divulge my source as requested...period, end of story.

:finger

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
Still waiting for the 50 guys who were naysayers and basic lemmings today to stand up and apologize for the BS they were slinging. I chose to not divulge my source as requested...period, end of story.

That post really doesn't encourage people to apologize.

Even if others didn't have class by bashing you, doesn't mean you should make posts like this.

Just keep your head high and move on.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
It amazes me that more guys with very little chance to pitch in the majors don't make an effort to become knuckleball pitchers. Obviously, its not that easy, but its worth a shot if your career is in the toilet. A decent knuckleballer is invaluable to a pitching staff. They're innings eaters. Honel was throwing knuckle-curves. With all his arm problems, maybe he should try to add a straight knuckler to his reportoire.

I agree completely.

I remember reading something Bill James wrote a few years ago where he made the point that organizations ought to try to teach the knuckleball to their pitchers who obviously don't have the stuff to reach the big leagues.

There's no downside. If they can't learn the knuckler, well, they weren't going to make it anyway.

But if there's even an outside chance of success, it's worth it. Who knows? You might stumble upon the next Charlie Hough or Tom Candiotti.

Plus, I think it would be a shame if the knuckleballer dies out completely. I think Wakefield is the only surviving member of the species left in the majors right now. It's always fun to watch a knuckleball pitcher work his 70-mph magic.

The last time we heard about a SP from the sox going on the 15 day DL, it was with a broken foot and McCarthy was going to the bump. Guess what happened, it turned out to be something that was overblown. The count could wake up tomorrow and his back could feel fine. Lets see what happens.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)

still doesnt change your douche-bagedness

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 9, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)

what an ethical journalist we have here... :wub:

LMIRL!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(JimH @ May 9, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
I never really have understood that Cleveland Indians avatar of yours though.  Seems out of place on a White Sox board but I'm probably not in on a joke or something so if that's the case I apologize.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Jim...really...reaaaallly, you can't figure that out?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
I'm the only one that's apologized to him.  He could've gave us all a little more info at the time.  But he was right.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)

Before I even get to Contreras going onto the DL, I gotta say I am extremely disappointed in quite a few people in this thread. I can understand thinking that someone is trolling in this situation, heck I might even have joined in the calling out parade. But I can't believe how many people don't have the common courtesy to apologize for being wrong. Be a man and own up when you are wrong, it is a big part of the transition to adulthood. I can't believe only one person had the decency to do so. This site is better than that, or at least it used to be.

Part of the charm here has always been the friendly atmosphere and the thirst for information. Instead lately it just looks like people are looking for a sacrficial lamb to put down so that they can feel good about themselves. There aren't many times I will say this, but I am f***ing embarassed to be associated as a leader of this site today because of this.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Before I even get to Contreras going onto the DL, I gotta say I am extremely disappointed in quite a few people in this thread.  I can understand thinking that someone is trolling in this situation, heck I might even have joined in the calling out parade.  But I can't believe how many people don't have the common courtesy to apologize for being wrong.  Be a man and own up when you are wrong, it is a big part of the transition to adulthood.  I can't believe only one person had the decency to do so.  This site is better than that, or at least it used to be. 

Part of the charm here has always been the friendly atmosphere and the thirst for information.  Instead lately it just looks like people are looking for a sacrficial lamb to put down so that they can feel good about themselves.  There aren't many times I will say this, but I am f***ing embarassed to be associated as a leader of this site today because of this.

oh give me a break...

the overall attitude, demeanor, and posting of this guy was ten times worse than that poster who posted the "me and my buddies" clubbing posts and he was banned. He had 8 posts at the time and the way he was talking was completely baseless and stupid. There have been far more embarrassing moments than this

Guest JimH

Good for you, and if when asked nicely you can't figure out a way to explain it without naming the source (not hard to do), then you're gonna catch crap. It's just the way it is.

Your wagging fingers are reminiscent of a kid sticking his tongue out on a playground.

Period, end of that story too.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
Before I even get to Contreras going onto the DL, I gotta say I am extremely disappointed in quite a few people in this thread.  I can understand thinking that someone is trolling in this situation, heck I might even have joined in the calling out parade.  But I can't believe how many people don't have the common courtesy to apologize for being wrong.  Be a man and own up when you are wrong, it is a big part of the transition to adulthood.  I can't believe only one person had the decency to do so.  This site is better than that, or at least it used to be. 

Part of the charm here has always been the friendly atmosphere and the thirst for information.  Instead lately it just looks like people are looking for a sacrficial lamb to put down so that they can feel good about themselves.  There aren't many times I will say this, but I am f***ing embarassed to be associated as a leader of this site today because of this.

I agree for the most part.

There's a lot of posters who think they know it all around here and pretty much bash any comment that someone has that they don't agree with.

As SS2K5 said, own up and act like adults.

As for the guy who made the post, he too needs to grow up for the post he just did with the middle finger or whatever that was. He was far from professional as well.

QUOTE(LoFiStew @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Plus, I think it would be a shame if the knuckleballer dies out completely. I think Wakefield is the only surviving member of the species left in the majors right now. It's always fun to watch a knuckleball pitcher work his 70-mph magic.

Well, not any more.

Guest JimH
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Jim...really...reaaaallly, you can't figure that out?

Well let's see, I am a pretty straightforward guy, so no, I'm not one for hidden messages. That would be why I posted saying I don't know what's up with that Cleveland Indians avatar of yours.

I find this disappointment pretty hilarious...if someone wanted to be treated correctly, here's how they should've acted...

Guys, i've heard this rumor from a source i trust with ties to the organization that charlie haegar will spot start on wed for the angels with count on the DL

later

i'm sorry i can't give away the name of my source, i'm sure it'll come out rather soon...

Instead of...

oh man you guys must just hate charles haegar :finger

and later

blhalahblahbalhabalahabalhabalhablhbalaOH YEAH TERES A GOOD POAST HE ACTUALLY LIKES CHARLES HAEGAR

with the way he acted i'm suprised he wasn't ridiculed further. I know this is a message board...but i think the guy could have acted a bit more respectful when he first came on... this STILL screams troll

QUOTE(bmags @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
I find this disappointment pretty hilarious...if someone wanted to be treated correctly, here's how they should've acted...

Guys, i've heard this rumor from a source i trust with ties to the organization that charlie haegar will spot start on wed for the angels with count on the DL

later

i'm sorry i can't give away the name of my source, i'm sure it'll come out rather soon...

Instead of...

oh man you guys must just hate charles haegar  :finger

and later

blhalahblahbalhabalahabalhabalhablhbalaOH YEAH TERES A GOOD POAST HE ACTUALLY LIKES CHARLES HAEGAR

with the way he acted i'm suprised he wasn't ridiculed further. I know this is a message board...but i think the guy could have acted a bit more respectful when he first came on... this STILL screams troll

And yet, guess what... It wasn't. And you are still trying to put the blame on someone else for people's own actions.

Thanks for proving my point exactly.

Guest JimH

Hey Mike I understand what you're saying and I did think the bashing went over the top. The flip side of the coin is this guy started the thread asking for confirmation.

He asked for confirmation, i.e. had we heard anything?

He was asked nicely, at least a couple of times, to indicate how he knew this. If he had a confidentiality, there's a way to say it. This guy immediately came back and said "get your apologies ready, show some class".

All he had to say was, "hey, doesn't matter to me if you people believe me but I have a source in Charlotte or I have a source with the family", etc. There are lots of ways he can be more forthcoming without breaking his confidentiality, which I completely respect by the way. That smacked as much of "I know more than you do" as some poster's reactions.

I also agree with Alex, coming back on and giving the finger, not good.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)

As someone that actually defended you and added a bit of info, let me just say that I'm sure everyone appreciates the heads up on that. People in general are reluctant to trust someone on a web, but your proved your credibility. :cheers

However, there are more respectful ways to say you were right.

Now just tell us that you can see into the future and Haeger picks up a W on Wednesdsay :)

QUOTE(JimH @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Hey Mike I understand what you're saying and I did think the bashing went over the top.  The flip side of the coin is this guy started the thread asking for confirmation.

He asked for confirmation, i.e. had we heard anything?

He was asked nicely, at least a couple of times, to indicate how he knew this.  If he had a confidentiality, there's a way to say it.  This guy immediately came back and said "get your apologies ready, show some class".

All he had to say was, "hey, doesn't matter to me if you people believe me but I have a source in Charlotte or I have a source with the family", etc.  There are lots of ways he can be more forthcoming without breaking his confidentiality, which I completely respect by the way.  That smacked as much of "I know more than you do" as some poster's reactions.

I also agree with Alex, coming back on and giving the finger, not good.

No disrespect to jason but have we heard anything? I see nothing on any site and I have been listening to the score for the last hour on line. Nothing.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
Great.  Just what what the Angels needed to break out of their slump.  Our 2 worst starters and a minor leaguer.

Did you watch Freddy's start last Wednesday? He looked pretty good, somewhat improved over his early season form. It was the pen that let Seattle back into that game. Jonny has to get his crap together sooner or later (maybe AJ will actually get to catch him for a change, and force him to bang the ball inside), and as far as Haeger goes, lets just see what the kid has. Who knows, his numbers are impressive and there is only one way to find out. Besides, everyone here knows that Ozzie is not afraid to lose a game to test something. Its not always the wisest choices, but at least he tries I guess. Besides, it always give us something to debate and argue about.

I for one am not impressed with the Angels and think it will be a rough trip to Chi-town for them regardless.

I am concerned for Jose, but if this stint cures whatever this issue is, then get it out of the way now so it doesn't plague him.