Charlie Haeger to likely start Wednesday

wcw2323

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
You know, it would really be nice to see a starter not named Mark Buehrle come up and succeed right away. I can't think of any who have since Mark, including BMac who struggled in his first stint with the big club last year.  We've had success bringing up relievers (Bobby, the legend of Boone Logan), but no starters who come up and blow everyone away.

With this knowledge in mind, you should--at the least--prepare yourself for failure. That's how I typically view our pitching prospects once they've been promoted. Expect failure, hope for success. The concept of 'Instant success' within our organization might as well be a urban legend alongside Bigfoot and the Lochness Monster. Atleast within the last 6-7 years.

But really, I'd love for Haegar to succeed. His success, if translated to a major league level, would give tremendous flexibility for Williams concerning our rotation. If Garcia is traded this upcoming offseaon, and Garland the following, a cheap rotation whose substitutes (McCarthy/Haegar) could duplicate the production of departed pitches is smart management. This would be my idea of a best case scenario.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I just listened to the SC update and Levine said that Contreras is going to wait and see if the pain is gone by tomorrow, and if not then Haeger will be recalled. "

Comcast Sports ended with the same information that Charlie "COULD" be starting on Wendsday.

Look at Rotoworld.com.... they are citing FUTURESOX.COM as their source.

Good Job Guys.

Latest News  May. 8, 2006 - 8:49 pm et

Jose Contreras is expected to go on the disabled list with a hip or back injury. Knuckleballer Charlie Haeger will replace him in the White Sox rotation.

Futuresox.com is reporting he underwent an MRI on his back. ESPN Radio's Bruce Levine is reporting that it's hip pain. Either way, it appears that the American League's best start through five weeks is going to miss at least most of May. Haeger would get the nod because Brandon McCarthy isn't conditioned to throw more than a few innings right now. He'd be a risky pickup in NL-only leagues, although he's pitched very well in Triple-A so far.

Source:  FutureSox.com

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 9, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
With this knowledge in mind, you should--at the least--prepare yourself for failure. That's how I typically view our pitching prospects once they've been promoted. Expect failure, hope for success. The concept of 'Instant success' within our organization might as well be a urban legend alongside Bigfoot and the Lochness Monster. Atleast within the last 6-7 years.

But really, I'd love for Haegar to succeed. His success, if translated to a major league level, would give tremendous flexibility for Williams concerning our rotation. If Garcia is traded this upcoming offseaon, and Garland the following, a cheap rotation whose substitutes (McCarthy/Haegar) could duplicate the production of departed pitches is smart management. This would be my idea of a best case scenario.

Flash...at least this is a Sox prospect that has an excuse for why he doesn't throw over 90 mph.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
Gage has got a lot of people ot answer to if this doesn't happen. :P

Exactly what I was thinking, especially since Rotoworld is now saying we reported he had a MRI.

Hopefully that is confirmed.

Haha so after all this, it's not even a sure thing that Haegar will get the call, or that Count will go on the DL, or that Count will even miss a start. And worse case senario is he goes on the DL and misses 2 starts. Wonderful, I love the internet and talk radio, just a BIT too over reactive.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Haha so after all this, it's not even a sure thing that Haegar will get the call, or that Count will go on the DL, or that Count will even miss a start.  And worse case senario is he goes on the DL and misses 2 starts.  Wonderful, I love the internet and talk radio, just a BIT too over reactive.

Basically its up to the Sox. This is nothing serious...rather its pretty much stiffness of the lower back. Sox have been doing treatments (first I know of was yesterday but it could have happened before that).

If they want to be careful, they sit Jose for 2 starts (with the best record in baseball we have that luxury); If Jose really is feeling good, he'll be make the scheduled start.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
Exactly what I was thinking, especially since Rotoworld is now saying we reported he had a MRI.

Hopefully that is confirmed.

SI can do another story on us. We seem to be at the forefront for the rumors.

I know a link was posted, but here is the Trib story:

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

Published May 8, 2006, 7:59 PM CDT

The White Sox could place Jose Contreras, the best pitcher in baseball with a 5-0 record and 1.41 ERA, on the disabled list Tuesday, one day before he is scheduled to start against the Angels.

"We will decide [Tuesday] after talking to Jose," general manager Kenny Williams said. "We have people on alert in the event he can't go. Its nothing considered serious and Jose feels a lot better [Monday]."

Contreras is bothered by pain in his lower back and hip and was seen Sunday walking around with bandages wrapped around those areas.

Williams was unsure whether to call up a starter like Charlie Haeger from Triple-A Charlotte or whether to recall a reliever and use Brandon McCarthy as a starter. Haeger, a knuckleballer, is 3-0 with an ERA of 0.68, which is tops in the International League. He also leads the league with 40 innings pitched.

"We'll be discussing both Haegar and McCarthy options [Tuesday] when Ozzie [Guillen], [pitching coach Don Cooper] and Contreras get in," Williams said. "A lot will depend on what Jose says. [Monday] he said there is no need for a DL stint."

In his last start on Thursday, Contreras went 7 1/3 innings in a 4-1 win over Seattle, his 13th straight.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
I would rather have Redding.  No, Redding doesn't pitch with smoke and mirrors and may not be aesthetically pleasing, but, he has 21 wins against major league ballclubs and we know he isn't going to piss down his leg in front of 30K.

Oh come on Addy, GMAB.

Redding sucks. He's terrible. Look at his past stats. He's had ONE -- count 'em -- ONE above average season. Oh, yeah, and that was in 2003. In 2004, his ERA was 5.72, and last year, his ERA was 10.72. This guy is done, and is, AT BEST, nothing more than a AAA filler.

The "veteran presence" doesn't mean squat, either. Haeger -- out of all of the other options, ie Redding, Tracey, Broadway -- gives the Sox the BEST chance to win on Wednesday.

BTW, Haeger couldn't ask for better conditions here. He's facing an Anahiem lineup which currently ranks 12th in the AL in runs scored. He's also pitching at home, which could work both ways -- I list it as a positive because he'll have 25K behind him, rather than in a tough environment on the road.

I'd also like to say that, as a baseball fan, I'm excited to see a knuckler live. There's something that I love about seeing major league hitters being baffled by guys with funky deliveries, slow stuff, etc. I'm not at all happy about Contreras' injury, but then again, we Sox fans really aren't in a position to complain -- this team has been blessed with good health for a while now (outside of Thomas).

This is neat. I'm looking forward to Wednesday...

(Get well soon, Conde!)

"We'll be discussing both Haegar and McCarthy options [Tuesday] when Ozzie [Guillen], [pitching coach Don Cooper] and Contreras get in," Williams said. "A lot will depend on what Jose says. [Monday] he said there is no need for a DL stint."

So McCarthy IS an option should Jose miss a start. interesting

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
Basically its up to the Sox.  This is nothing serious...rather its pretty much stiffness of the lower back.  Sox have been doing treatments (first I know of was yesterday but it could have happened before that). 

If they want to be careful, they sit Jose for 2 starts (with the best record in baseball we have that luxury);  If Jose really is feeling good, he'll be make the scheduled start.

I think part of this is wanting to be over cautious with Count (and get him some rest in the process) and another part of it is they want to give Haeger a couple shots with the big club and see how he does, since again we have that luxury right now.

I'm not questioning your site or article (which are both good), just saying it's funny how much in a period of several hours a story can twist and turn in this age of the media.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
So McCarthy IS an option should Jose miss a start.  interesting

I doubt he is a real option. The Sox would probably be best served to act as if all options are open so that the Angels can not completely focus on and prepare for a knuckler.