Charlie Haeger to likely start Wednesday

wcw2323

QUOTE(JimH @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Exactly, no reason to make an announcement now, even if they knew 100% what they are gonna do.

I may ask you to explain this to quickman via IM  he is in Seattle at the Mariner game and has been blowing s*** my way for the better part of two hours because he hasn't heard it streaming on the Score or seen it confirmed online.   

:chair

Well if makes Quick feel better, just tell him its only going to be a start or two at the most. I know the idea of a farm hand pitching any longer than that is just scary to Quick ;) :D

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
So am I the only one lost or is that a group thing?

The front page story has been continously updated so if you check that it should give you a pretty good heads up on whats going on.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
So am I the only one lost or is that a group thing?

It seems like Buerhle's broken foot all over again. To me, it looks like Contreras is feeling better, but probably isn't 100%, so the Sox don't want to take a chance. Maybe tomorrow he is 100% and will make his start Wed. If not,CH gets the nod, but if JC is close to 100%, then maybe the question is whether to DL him, or send someone down. If its 1 start, they could send down Logan, and then after CH's start, send him down and call up Lopez. I think you have to stay down for 10 days or so if you get optioned.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
It seems like Buerhle's broken foot all over again. To me, it looks like Contreras is feeling better, but probably isn't 100%, so the Sox don't want to take a chance. Maybe tomorrow he is 100% and will make his start Wed. If not,CH gets the nod, but if JC is close to 100%, then maybe the question is whether to DL him, or send someone down. If its 1 start, they could send down Logan, and then after CH's start, send him down and call up Lopez. I think you have to stay down for 10 days or so if you get optioned.

Actually, think of it this way. What if the Sox feel Nelson is pretty much ready. They have him pitch in a couple games really quickly in Charlotte. If Jose comes around as planned, the Sox give him a precautionary rest (having him miss one start). To make room the Sox send Logan down and call up Haeger.

Than after the game, the Sox send Haeger down and replace him with Nelson, who they want in the rotation.

Note: The above is purely me speculating...not going on any sources or inside info.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Actually, think of it this way.  What if the Sox feel Nelson is pretty much ready.  They have him pitch in a couple games really quickly in Charlotte.  If Jose comes around as planned, the Sox give him a precautionary rest (having him miss one start).  To make room the Sox send Logan down and call up Haeger.

Than after the game, the Sox send Haeger down and replace him with Nelson, who they want in the rotation. 

Note: The above is purely me speculating...not going on any sources or inside info.

He would be the obvious choice, but I would think its a longshot that he'd be ready.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
If Charlie sucks, we're looking at 10+ Stolen Bases for the Angels on Wednesday.

However, I think he will do well.  :)

They have to get on base first, and they havent been doing that much lately. I was just reading that they got 4 hit by Roy Halladay tonite

I agree with whats been said already. The sox pretty much know Contreras will miss his start Wednesday, but will not announce it so quickly.

Even if he is okay we should all know ozzie by now, after some sort of injury to a player he will rest them an extra day after they are cleared to play. Considering Contreras is not just any player he most likely will miss Wednesdays start even if they say he's okay and I agree with that, no need to take chances.

I just hope it isn't severe enough for it to linger around during the rest of the season.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
If Charlie sucks, we're looking at 10+ Stolen Bases for the Angels on Wednesday.

However, I think he will do well.  :)

The good news is that the Angels aren't very patient hitters. They only have 1 guy with 10 walks. Charlie is going to be nervous, who wouldn't. Hopefully that won't flatten his knuckler out, because if it does, you or I could do major damage.

OK everyone, pony up here - if Count misses more then a couple starts, does Brandon eventually move to the rotation, or has he already been "Cotts'd"? To be honest, I haven't liked the decision to make him basically a setup man. Last year he excelled in long relief and frankly, he hasn't looked that great in the late inning role. Plus, he would already be somewhat conditioned to move to the rotation if he were still a long reliver. The dude was our rotation insurance! I know, I know, he is too valuable as a reliever now to be moved. :(

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
OK everyone, pony up here - if Count misses more then a couple starts, does Brandon eventually move to the rotation, or has he already been "Cotts'd"?  To be honest, I haven't liked the decision to make him basically a setup man.  Last year he excelled in long relief and frankly, he hasn't looked that great in the late inning role.  Plus, he would already be somewhat conditioned to move to the rotation if he were still a long reliver.  The dude was our rotation insurance!  I know, I know, he is too valuable as a reliever now to be moved. :(

SFF

Only if Count's out for a LONG time.

Buehrle came out of the pen at the start of his career, I have no problem with it. I don't think it means anything about his starter prospects.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
OK everyone, pony up here - if Count misses more then a couple starts, does Brandon eventually move to the rotation, or has he already been "Cotts'd"?  To be honest, I haven't liked the decision to make him basically a setup man.  Last year he excelled in long relief and frankly, he hasn't looked that great in the late inning role.  Plus, he would already be somewhat conditioned to move to the rotation if he were still a long reliver.  The dude was our rotation insurance!  I know, I know, he is too valuable as a reliever now to be moved. :(

SFF

If right now, the trainers thought Jose would miss more than 2 starts, I would want Brandon. Pitch Garland on Wednesday if Brandon needs another day, but I don't want Haeger having to be counted on for more than 1-2 games. No offense to Charlie.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
I heard a rumor that Charlie Haeger has been summoned from Charlotte and will pitch in Chicago Wednesday night against the Angels. Can anybody confirm this?

And so my fellow soxtalkians, this is why we let people speak here on the board, and wait before we can prove them untrue and believe EVERYTHING THAT IS INACCURATE is farfetched.

Have a nice evening, everyone.

First of all props to everyone here at Futuresox for getting used at Rotoworld. Job well done to Jason and everyone else.

Hopefully this is only something minor for Jose and we'll see him back soon and back to his best. He's been our best SP so far, and we'll need him back at 100% as soon as possible.

Haeger's done extremely well down at Charlotte and deserves the chance. Let's hope he can make the most of it, because it'd be great to see another knuckleballer do well in the major leagues.

And finally, I hope the next time someone posts a rumor and asks for confirmation, isn't immediately flamed as a troll.