Summer Jobs

Texsox

Anyone interested in a summer job on South Padre Island? It will be for 6-7 weeks and involve sailing, wind surfing, snorkeling etc. You must be 21 or older and available for a week of training later this month, somewhere close to you.

PM me with any questions.

And, if not, what cool summer internships and jobs is everyone lining up?

QUOTE(SnB @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
i'm working for the windy city thunderbolts (independent baseball team)

Basically doing b**** work, but it's better than working at a grocery store or something

Which league? My cousin is pitching for Crete this season.

He also played for the Rockford Riverhawks a couple seasons. Nice league. Our team got bounced from their stadium lease and we are now in a new league, I forget the name. 5 Texas and 1 LA team.

That's going to be a fun summer.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Hey Tex can I quit my job and come work there?  Is rent high??

This is just a temp summer job and we provide room and board.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 8, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Writing for the local paper.

really. good stuff. getting clips at this stage is the most important thing. are you interning, or getting paid? not that it matters at this point, other than in your checkbook.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
really. good stuff. getting clips at this stage is the most important thing. are you interning, or getting paid? not that it matters at this point, other than in your checkbook.

Second summer as a lowly paid sports writer.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 9, 2006 -> 02:45 AM)
Second summer as a lowly paid sports writer.

that's cool, though. everyone has to start somewhere.

i started interning at this crappy weekly on the southside. wrote obits, little league roundups and a bunch of other meh. but the experience was valuable, and no doubt helped me get my first professional job after i graduated. i ended up moving to ohio and was assistant sports editor and sports editor at two newspapers in central ohio before i left the biz last may.

i love journalism, and i still freelance from time-to-time. it's just a difficult lifestyle to have when you have kids.

anyway, not like i'm the be all, end all or anything but i was good at what i did. if you ever need anything regarding the biz, hit me up on a pm or something.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Anyone interested in a summer job on South Padre Island? It will be for 6-7 weeks and involve sailing, wind surfing, snorkeling etc. You must be 21 or older and available for a week of training later this month, somewhere close to you.

Sounds cool. I'm actually moving to Spring, TX in late June/early July and will be 21 as of seven days from now. Looks as if I may have a job lined up at Texas City, though.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 13, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
literally getting paid to watch baseball and yell at kids. Should be awesome.

Shouldn't Brian get paid when he watches baseball with you?? It's basically the same thing as you just described.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)

If you can get permission from my wife for me, I'm your man!

This summer I'll be working security at the new Chicago Fire Stadium in Bridgeview. Also, depending on scheduling conflicts with my other job/school, I may work security at Soldier Field.

It's actually a fairly light gig. Not certain of my exact duties besdies ushering, patrolling grounds and writing incident reports, but the job is typically one or two days a week. All dependent upon the Chicago Fire schedule, or whether there's a concert. I know fo shizzle I"ll be there for the B96 Summer bash!!!!@11

QUOTE(Brian @ May 13, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
I remember working at Great America for a summer. Worst.job.ever.

They treated employees like s***.

My cousin worked there about 10 years ago and said it was perhaps the funnest job he ever held. Mentioned several times how his friends and him would typically steal hundreds of dollars from their post every week. As well as hitting on women all day while not doing much work at all.

Guess things changed from the time he worked and you did. :drink