To Ipod or not to Ipod that is the question...

chisoxdavid

Sorry becasue Im almost sure that something like this has been posted, but here I go. Im in the market for an mp3 player one for me and maybe even one for the ole ball and chain, is the Ipod the best one out there? What do you guys/gals think about the Ipod? I have heard that there are way better mp3 players out there. Any advice will help. Thanks

QUOTE(chisoxdavid @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Sorry becasue Im almost sure that something like this has been posted, but here I go. Im in the market for an mp3 player one for me and maybe even one for the ole ball and chain, is the Ipod the best one out there? What do you guys/gals think about the Ipod? I have heard that there are way better mp3 players out there. Any advice will help. Thanks

I just lurve my Nano.

I've been holding off on buying an Ipod for the longest time, and I'm still doing so. I just can't justify the expense of several hundred dollars on what is basically a hard drive. At some point, someone is going to come out with a comparable product that costs far less. It just has to happen.

Until then, I spent $30 on a CD Player that can play CD's loaded with MP3's. Fit like 130-140 songs on a disk, burn the CD, and just play that. It's an order of magnitude less expensive.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
My ipod just crashed the other day so I may not be the best person to ask right now.

My worst nightmare. If that happens, I think I will have a heart attack. I have spent an awful long time putting my little jukebox together.

Depends on what your gonna use it for......

I got an Ipod Shuffle for paying off my credit card......

compared to the full size ipods these things are durable as hell cause all it is is Flash memory.....

I use it basically when I work out its perfect cause its small and you can bang it around and it wont break...

Also doubles as a flash drive if you need to store school work on it....

I got about 6 hours worth of music on it...thats really all i need for what I use it for

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
My worst nightmare.  If that happens, I think I will have a heart attack.  I have spent an awful long time putting my little jukebox together.

Make sure its all backed up.

I didn't have mine backed up and was only able to recover about 1000 of 2600 songs using a program called RecoverMyFiles.

It was not a lot of fun. The stuff I couldn't recover was because it took all of the other songs and spliced them together. Apparently when you delete something off the ipod, it keeps it on there but is marked for deletion. You can't access it to play but its still there. Then it actually deletes it if you need the space on the drive. This is the case with a lot of hard drives.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 8, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
Make sure its all backed up.

I didn't have mine backed up and was only able to recover about 1000 of 2600 songs using a program called RecoverMyFiles.

It was not a lot of fun.  The stuff I couldn't recover was because it took all of the other songs and spliced them together.  Apparently when you delete something off the ipod, it keeps it on there but is marked for deletion.  You can't access it to play but its still there.  Then it actually deletes it if you need the space on the drive.  This is the case with a lot of hard drives.

What is the best method of backing it up? I never really thought about it, now that I am thinking about it I want to do it

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
What is the best method of backing it up?  I never really thought about it, now that I am thinking about it I want to do it

Save it DVDs would be the best.

Second best would be save it to your hard drive of your computer or an external hard drive of some sort.

Mine crashed because I didn't safely remove it from the computer by going to safely remove hardware and stopping the device. I always did that never thinking much of it, then I took it right out of the dock and bam, it's all jacked up.

I got a 4 gig nano recently, and I have no complaints so far. It works great, and has a ton of space. The one major thing is make sure you follow the instructions, otherwise things get messed up pretty badly. Aboz's situation is an example, I've been extra careful to make sure that I don't do that.

Regarding space, theoretically 1 gig is roughly 250 songs (at least for ipods), assuming like a 4 minute average. I've got 461 songs on mine, and it takes up 1.8-something gigs.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I don't get why people would buy the Nano's when the 60GB is just a little bit more expensive. Some of those Nano's run around $250, so for $150 more you get 56GB more. Seems rather silly to buy anything less than the 60GB to me. :huh

But hey, I guess ya buy what ya can.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
I recently picked up a 4 gig Nano and the thrill wore off very quickly. I'm a sound geek, so I wish it had more of an adjustable EQ. I like to tweek the highs and lows, all it has is pre set options and bass boost. But it's a cool little gadget overall.

Do other mp3 let you adjust the sound?

I really hate iPods, but I'm the minority probably.

I'm much more of a Creative Zen person. I've had a few of the HDD ones (although I end up breaking them by dropping the bag they were in, which really gets frustrating after awhile), but I finally went to a flash player for ease.

I currently have this one (512 mb): e923972.jpg