Hermanson to resume throwing

aboz56

Per Rotoworld:

Dustin Hermanson (back) has reportedly begun throwing again.

Hermanson has been out since late March with a potentially career-ending back injury and is unlikely to return before the All-Star break.

Source: Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Hopefully this is our own little mini trade deadline type pickup. Getting Hermanson back in August would be spectacular.

It really would be. I'm not getting my hopes up though, I really believe Dustin is done. God, I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 10, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
My take is that there will always be pain and discomfort and he may be thinking, I can do this for three months with pain killers and what not but not for a whole season.

The problem with that is he was considerably worse once his back got messed up last year. I have no doubt Dustin can tough it out if need be but would that really be beneficial to the team?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
The problem with that is he was considerably worse once his back got messed up last year. I have no doubt Dustin can tough it out if need be but would that really be beneficial to the team?

If he can get people out and wants to do it, then yes.

If he can't be effective, I'd love to have him around the team because he's a real solid guy, but don't put him out there in that case.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
If he can get people out and wants to do it, then yes.

If he can't be effective, I'd love to have him around the team because he's a real solid guy, but don't put him out there in that case.

Right, what I meant was with his back hurting all the time could he still be effective...I'm not so sure.

Definitely agree here.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 10, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)

His back was actually hurting for most of the year and he was playing through it...it just took away his ability to pitch when it got even worse.

I hope that he comes back and proves me wrong, because our bullpen could use him, but I just don't see an additional 3-4 months off helping him when he had almost 5 months during the off-season and the problem re-occurred almost immediately during the spring. It's a fickle mistress, those back injuries!

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 10, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
My take is that there will always be pain and discomfort and he may be thinking, I can do this for three months with pain killers and what not but not for a whole season.

Bingo.

I'm not counting on Hermanson to come back. If he does, and is effective, then that's great. I just don't think we can count on that. Of course, if he was a Cub, he'd be the answer to all of their problems just as soon as gets over this minor discomfort.

Yeah I don't think we'll be ever seeing Hermy back to what he was this time last season again for the White Sox. But we'll have $4M to use when his contract is up at the end of the season (I think that's what he's on), and with Politte's deal ending as well, we'll probably need to sign a fairly good set-up man in the off-season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 10, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Yeah I don't think we'll be ever seeing Hermy back to what he was this time last season again for the White Sox. But we'll have $4M to use when his contract is up at the end of the season (I think that's what he's on), and with Politte's deal ending as well, we'll probably need to sign a fairly good set-up man in the off-season.

I am hoping Tracey can be a pretty stellar bullpen guy for us next season.

But yes, we'll probably want to add a vet.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 11, 2006 -> 07:38 AM)
I am hoping Tracey can be a pretty stellar bullpen guy for us next season.

But yes, we'll probably want to add a vet.

I think it'll be hard for him to jump right in and contribute straight away, he may have a season like Cotts and Adkins did in 2004 getting used to the major league level.

But he's a guy I could definitely see having success in the pen down the road.

Getting a reliever like Arthur Rhodes, Ray King, Steve Kline, David Riske, LaTroy Hawkins etc. could be a crucial aspect of this team's off-season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 10, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I think it'll be hard for him to jump right in and contribute straight away, he may have a season like Cotts and Adkins did in 2004 getting used to the major league level.

I sure to hell hope he is nothing like Adkins. That guy was a joke.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
I'm not counting on Hermanson to come back. If he does, and is effective, then that's great. I just don't think we can count on that. Of course, if he was a Cub, he'd be the answer to all of their problems just as soon as gets over this minor discomfort.

Agreed. Anything Hermanson could give us would be a bonus. But we have to make like he's not coming back.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
I am hoping for the best with Dustin, but not expecting much. The guy was huge for us last year, and its too bad he didn't get a chance to really finish the job he started.

I'm glad he got to pitch in the Series, since he was such a big part of us getting there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 11, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
I'm glad he got to pitch in the Series, since he was such a big part of us getting there.

Hey, he had just as big a part in the alcs as the rest of the bullpen. :P

Minus Neal. :ph34r:

Edited by Rowand44