If Crede keeps this up...

CWSOX45

If Crede keeps this up....how much money do you think he'll be looking to collect next off-season as a free agent?

Just looking back at what cash Adrian Beltre pulled in for one good season, I can't imagine what Crede's asking price will be also if he has Boras as his agent.

I really am hopeful that Kenny re-signs Crede to a long-term deal before the off-season.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
Ok now, everybody all at once!!

JOE!!!!!! CREDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

is not a free agent after this year

I thought his arbitration year was this year, and he was going to be a free agent this off-season?

Does he have another arbitration year?

Oh well my bad. Either way why not sign him up long term.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ May 10, 2006 -> 07:37 AM)
I thought his arbitration year was this year, and he was going to be a free agent this off-season?

Does he have another arbitration year?

Oh well my bad. Either way why not sign him up long term.

CWSOX45

I think we have him for 2 more years.

Guest JimH
I think we have him for 2 more years.

Correct, a total of three arbitration years. This year was the first. After 2008 he can be a FA.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
Correct, a total of three arbitration years. This year was the first. After 2008 he can be a FA.

Hopefully it won't get to that, I'd offer him a 3 year deal this offseason for 18 million.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
If his hitting continues to improve and Boras is still his agent after 2008, he'll be playing elsewhere. Thankfully, we have his rights for the next two seasons.

He is one guy I don't see letting Boras get in the way. As long as we don't lowball him and we continue winning, he's going to want to stay. He likes being on the club from what I gather and he is becoming a fan favorite quickly.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
If his hitting continues to improve and Boras is still his agent after 2008, he'll be playing elsewhere. Thankfully, we have his rights for the next two seasons.

Crede's been on record a few times saying he's not going to have his agent dictate what happens. If he wants to stay here, which he is saying, and the opportunity presents itself, Crede will certainly be back.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
His agent is driving the bus and is not the type to do anything for the good of the organization.

Not true, if he was, they would have gone to arbitration this past offseason. Instead Crede told him to get a deal done and the parties avoided arbitration. This was pretty well documented.

http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/2/25/20832/6530

"You do hear people say that Boras' guys are puppets, but no, that's not the case with me," Crede said. "That might be the case with some other players, but not with me.

"Ultimately, the player is who has control of the situation. If you want to sign for this, you sign for this. If you want it to be handled by the agent, you let that happen. Ultimately, you also want to get the fair deal at the same time."

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
That quote is all well and good on the surface. Then you get into the question of just how persusive Boras is with his clients. Can he convince Joe he's being treated unfairly or being lowballed? That's what remains to be seen.

We'll see. As Boz said though, Crede's stated he loves it here. He seems to be a favorite in the clubhouse, and with the fans now. I would definitely say the odds are much greater for us keeping him, than seeing Crede go elsewhere.

Sure, Fields is doing good in the minors, but do we really want to start from scratch again? Crede's finally coming into his own, after some early career struggles. Why would the Sox or Crede want to start over, after all of that?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
That quote is all well and good on the surface. Then you get into the question of just how persusive Boras is with his clients. Can he convince Joe he's being treated unfairly or being lowballed? That's what remains to be seen.

I think it was a pretty telling side that Boras couldn't get him to go to arbitration. Coming off the postseason he had, I think Crede could have won an arbitration case against the Sox. Instead, rather than cause any friction, he took a fair deal and slid clear of any controversy.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
We'll see. As Boz said though, Crede's stated he loves it here. He seems to be a favorite in the clubhouse, and with the fans now. I would definitely say the odds are much greater for us keeping him, than seeing Crede go elsewhere.

Sure, Fields is doing good in the minors, but do we really want to start from scratch again? Crede's finally coming into his own, after some early career struggles. Why would the Sox or Crede want to start over, after all of that?

Fields will either have to switch positions or be used as trade bait if we're going to keep Crede for the long haul. And I'm fine with that. Even if Crede can't keep up his current offensive pace, he is worth keeping simply for his glove.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 10, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
I think it was a pretty telling side that Boras couldn't get him to go to arbitration. Coming off the postseason he had, I think Crede could have won an arbitration case against the Sox. Instead, rather than cause any friction, he took a fair deal and slid clear of any controversy.

You're right. That's a damn good sign. I hope it turns out to be sign of things to come. However, we ARE talking about Scott Boras here.

with the amount of time it took for crede to turn into anything, i really don't think the sox are putting too much faith in fields being able to take over for crede, at least i hope so.

Guest JimH

Fields will either have to switch positions or be used as trade bait if we're going to keep Crede for the long haul. And I'm fine with that. Even if Crede can't keep up his current offensive pace, he is worth keeping simply for his glove.

Alex, one important factor in the negotiations was Dennis Gilbert. Basically the White Sox kept KW and even Hahn away from the Boras camp. Not sure if Scott Boras himself handled the negotiations or one of his lieutenants.

In years past, Gilbert himself was known as a "super agent" and Reinsdorf hired him because of great mutual respect and to help solve potentially sticky negotiations. Hahn was also a player agent I believe and Reinsdorf loves Hahn but Gilbert was the perfect choice to work with the Boras people.