If Crede keeps this up...

CWSOX45

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
Fields does rake though, I would hate to trade young talent like that, but it appears thats what we will have to do.

Is there any chance this team will start wising up and playing Fields in the OF a little bit at some point this season?

QUOTE(SnB @ May 10, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
with the amount of time it took for crede to turn into anything, i really don't think the sox are putting too much faith in fields being able to take over for crede, at least i hope so.

The good news is...thanks to Crede, there's no reason to Rush fields to the big leagues to fill any kind of hole. We can hold him at AAA til we're 100% confident he's ready. We can give him 2 years at AAA, then still have an All Star Third Baseman that we can trade for pitching before he's a FA, if we can't get a way to sign him.

Here's the real question IMO...can Ozzie carry 3 3rd baseman on his all star roster?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Is there any chance this team will start wising up and playing Fields in the OF a little bit at some point this season?

He wont have a huge chance of breaking in our OF either. With Sweeney, Owens, Anderson probably filling the gaps.

There was talk of moving him to 1st base, but with Paulie there long term, and Thome as our DH, theres also a log jam there. Who knows what we will do with this kid.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
He wont have a huge chance of breaking in our OF either. With Sweeney, Owens, Anderson probably filling the gaps.

There was talk of moving him to 1st base, but with Paulie there long term, and Thome as our DH, theres also a log jam there. Who knows what we will do with this kid.

It's certainly an excellent problem to have.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)

Well, the one thing I'll say in reply is this...what are the odds that all 3 of Sweeney, Owens, and Anderson will wind up being great successes in the big leagues? I for one am not going to project a 100% success rate on our outfielders, and I think having a backup plan might be a good idea.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Well, the one thing I'll say in reply is this...what are the odds that all 3 of Sweeney, Owens, and Anderson will wind up being great successes in the big leagues? I for one am not going to project a 100% success rate on our outfielders, and I think having a backup plan might be a good idea.

I can't disagree with you. But, I can present another question. Wouldn't his trade value be greater as a 3B than an OF? Of course, it would be much greater if could effectively play both.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
I can't disagree with you. But, I can present another question. Wouldn't his trade value be greater as a 3B than an OF? Of course, it would be much greater if could effectively play both.

Well, the question then is who we're going to trade. If he's a 3rd baseman who can hit 30 home runs, yeah his value will be greater than an outfielder who can do that. But that doesn't mean his value to us would be greatest as a 3rd baseman. If he could cover one of those corner outfield spots, that could just increase the "Loaded-ness" of our lineup if he does make it up and Crede winds up staying.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Well, the question then is who we're going to trade. If he's a 3rd baseman who can hit 30 home runs, yeah his value will be greater than an outfielder who can do that. But that doesn't mean his value to us would be greatest as a 3rd baseman. If he could cover one of those corner outfield spots, that could just increase the "Loaded-ness" of our lineup if he does make it up and Crede winds up staying.

Again, I can't disagree. However, if KW thinks keeping Fields might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and he can trade him for a better fit, he'll do so.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Again, I can't disagree. However, if KW thinks keeping Fields might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and he can trade him for a better fit, he'll do so.

Well, I think we're agreeing to agree to agree here, but I'll fire this back...until we know whether or not we'll be losing Crede to trade or FA at the end of 08, KW is not going to be getting rid of Fields. But the problem is...that sets the kid up for 3 years in AAA. Now to me, that's just crazy talk. If he can hit in AAA, you have to consider bringing him up somewhere and letting him start adapting to big league pitching, but at the same time, you can't just dump him until you get Crede signed through the end of the decade.

So for a while, you're probably better off trying to fit him into whatever hole we have in the lineup just so that his bat can start seeing ML pitching, but you're in no position to trade him until you know what you're doing with Crede. He's still our best negotiating leverage with Joe.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Sometimes I think Crede sort of has a cult following around here.

:D

Only sometimes?

I'm hoping we can keep Joe around for a while and I have faith in Joe to stay true to his words, however I just don't trust Boras and until a deal gets done I won't be overly confident.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Dude, after that 10th inning against Cleveland last year...can you blame any of us?

I don't blame you, but for as much as I get it for my Buehrle following, the Crede's cult is 10 times worse.

:)

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
Its a pity because Fields is looking real solid at the plate in charlotte

And Moreso the vibe you get from him is that he is the Star down there on that team. The fans love him and expect him to do something big. He has a big league approach.

Well I hope he likes Charlotte cause he could be there for a while.

yall were crackn me up when you were talkin about chavez and bill mueller in the offseason.. seriously you guys slay me.. but i'm biased cuz crede is my favorite player.. but its simply because his the best player. iamthenextjoecrede knows what i'm talkin about!