2006 Cy Young

BigSqwert

Gustavo Chacin? :huh:

Against AL East teams, his ERA is over 5.00 with a 1.60 WHIP. He's really giving his team an opportunity to make some noise within their own division. His overall numbers are average at best (4.50 ERA, 1.36 WHIP).

But he has 5 wins, a team statistic, and therefore, he is a Top 10 contender for the Cy Young award through May 10. God, wins for an SP are so unbelievably overrated....

At least Aaron Harang is Top 5 in the majors in strikeouts right now, or otherwise, I'd be talking s*** about him too.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
Nor Greg Maddox :huh

His ERA jumped to 3.64 after that shellacking by the Padres. Only 1 guy on that list for the NL has a higher ERA, and he's 5-1.

Edited by Balta1701

In 2004, Ben Sheets had the 5th best Strikeout-To-Walk ratio in major league history.

1. Curt Schilling 313 to 33 (2002)

2. Pedro Martinez 284 to 32 (2000)

3. Greg Maddux 177 to 20 (1997)

4. Pedro Martinez 313 to 37 (1999)

5. Ben Sheets 264 to 32 (2004)

How many games did Ben Sheets win that year? 12. How well would he have done in that retarded Cy Young predictor system? Not too well.

Wins are a team statistic, and meanwhile, these ESPN nerds think that they're the most important pitching statistic. Good God. I will always point to Ben Sheets as Exhibit A, and Randy Johnson to a lesser extent (16-14 in 2004 w/ the 9th best K-to-BB ratio in MLB history)

By the way, Walter Johnson's best Strikeout-To-Walk ratio was 243 to 38, back in 1913. I know it's crazy that the top 5 are all from between 1997 and 2004, but that is for real.

I see you guys don't agree with the Cy Young Predictor ( I don't either at this point in the season). However, the formula they use isn't all that bad at the end of the year. In fact, if you go back to 2005 and 2004, you will see that the Cy Predictor was actually pretty close to the actual results in Cy Young Voting.

Cy Predictor 2004

Cy Predictor 2005

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 10, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
In 2004, Ben Sheets had the 5th best Strikeout-To-Walk ratio in major league history.

1. Curt Schilling 313 to 33 (2002)

2. Pedro Martinez 284 to 32 (2000)

3. Greg Maddux 177 to 20 (1997)

4. Pedro Martinez 313 to 37 (1999)

5. Ben Sheets 264 to 32 (2004)

How many games did Ben Sheets win that year? 12. How well would he have done in that retarded Cy Young predictor system? Not too well.

How well did he do in the Cy Young voting? Not too well.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 10, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Wins are a team statistic, and meanwhile, these ESPN nerds think that they're the most important pitching statistic. Good God. I will always point to Ben Sheets as Exhibit A, and Randy Johnson to a lesser extent (16-14 in 2004 w/ the 9th best K-to-BB ratio in MLB history)

The reason they put a heavy weight on wins in their formula is because the voters do the same. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that that's a stupid way to do things, but it's still the way they do it.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
How well did he do in the Cy Young voting? Not too well.

The reason they put a heavy weight on wins in their formula is because the voters do the same. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that that's a stupid way to do things, but it's still the way they do it.

Taking into consideration that your statement is accurate, and the fact that it is a Cy Young predictor, not a measure of the most effective pitcher, it's not all that stupid of a formula.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 10, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)

Right, which is the ultimate point here: f*** a Cy Young Award

I wouldn't count out Santana; he's a second half pitcher anyway.

And look who our #1 is--last year, at the ASB a lot of us wanted to TRADE him! I don't think he's lost since, LOL.

I think it's too early to tell, but it's fun to track the "predictor" and see how accurate they've been.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
Right, which is the ultimate point here: f*** a Cy Young Award
Got-damn right! I would extend that to any and all individual awards.

Except the Rolaids Relief award. That's huge.