Nickname for Thome? "Mr. Incredible"?

LVSoxFan

Since I was the first to suggest Roeper might have run across the Thome/Mr. Incredible comparison here, I'll also say that I believe what LVSoxFan says. It was a coincidence, I guess. There have been other instances where I've suspected various reporters have gotten their leads from Soxtalk. If I jumped the gun in this case, let me offer my apologies to Mr. Roeper where he'll be sure to see it.

Man he DOES look freakishly like that character.

Thinking about this, I'm not sure that Thome would love a nickname based on a... cartoon character.

I'm mean we've got PAUL-LIE! Which just sort of happened.

GOOOOCH... a play on his name because nobody could think of anything that would work with "Tadahito." Maybe it could have been "Ta-da! HITO" But that's too Broadway; i.e., gay.

Joe Crede got it best because all you have to do is say his name Hawk-style. JOE. CREDE!

Pods--makes sense.

When it was Aaron Rowand, the name stood by itself because you always pictured the Cell P.A. announcer saying it like he was the guy in the movie trailers: One town. One secret. Only one person that can face the danger. That person has a name. Aaron. ROWAND.

J.D. for Dye, simple enough.

A.J. is sort of a nickname unto itself.

Going back, I think Borchard's nickname was "Ohhhh, s***!"

And of course my favorite: Big Bad Bobby Jenks

So thinking about all that, is "Mr. Incredible" really a great nickname just because he looks like the dude?

QUOTE(Linnwood @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)

Yeah and those songs are so musically dissimilar.

Which is why I goofed. I stand corrected.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
his article is mostly garbage, but I do like one point he makes. Thome may eventually, or already be one of the most popular players in the whole city. The guy is great on the field and off. This is the biggest market he has played in, and he is prospering.

I agree with this; it's electrifying whenever he comes up to bat.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 10, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
A guy posted the Mr. Incredible/Thome thing on WSI a few weeks ago. He said he got it from his little son.

Actually, I thought it was here first. The one on WSI (from Hangar) started about a week ago. The one here is from April.

If that matters.

But the cool pic in my avatar I did get from WSI a few days ago, from a poster named Unregistered. Quite cool, I thought.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Actually, I thought it was here first. The one on WSI (from Hangar) started about a week ago. The one here is from April.

If that matters.

But the cool pic in my avatar I did get from WSI a few days ago, from a poster named Unregistered. Quite cool, I thought.

OK Truth is, it came from my wife. She said it during preseason when I was watching the games. I totally forgot about that until I sent here the picture and she was like I told you he looked like Mr Incredible in March. I was like oh yeah, but you know I don't listen to you so much when I'm watching the game.... :o

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 11, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
OK Truth is, it came from my wife. She said it during preseason when I was watching the games. I totally forgot about that until I sent here the picture and she was like I told you he looked like Mr Incredible in March. I was like oh yeah, but you know I don't listen to you so much when I'm watching the game.... :o

Ha!!! Funny you should say that - I'm pretty sure my wife did the same thing, noticed before me in Spring Training. I guess we should be wondering why our wives are noticing these things...

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
My eyes hurt.

Try to use a darker shade of green, y'all. :)

Dude, this is what happens when you have a colorblind guy trying to pick "green" off that grid.

Sorry!

BTW I think "sock it" is the best nickname I've heard yet!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
Ha!!! Funny you should say that - I'm pretty sure my wife did the same thing, noticed before me in Spring Training. I guess we should be wondering why our wives are noticing these things...

I'm looking at balls and strikes and good swings and bad swings and shes sitting there going, "hmm..that guys ears kinda stick out" or "that guy needs a haircut" or "that guy is so skinny"....so I guess I can see why she observed it before me. I'm watching BASEBALL...she's watching people!!!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I'm looking at balls and strikes and good swings and bad swings and shes sitting there going, "hmm..that guys ears kinda stick out" or "that guy needs a haircut" or "that guy is so skinny"....so I guess I can see why she observed it before me. I'm watching BASEBALL...she's watching people!!!

She's checking out guys. Rich, athletic guys.