Gym memberships

LosMediasBlancas

Dude, I have had Bally for 3 years now, and that place seriously is the worst gym i have ever been to. I joined it because I wanted to save money on a gym. Now I just joined WAC in the west loop and I think it is one of the more top notch gyms out there. I pay 60 a month. And I love the place.

HOLY CRAP! I'm waaaaay otta touch. I'm paying like $285.00 a year, my gym is nice, but it's like 25 mins. from home. By the time I get home, change, get in the car, make the drive, I'm just not feelin' it any more. I'm looking for something dowtown that I can walk to right after work. I guess I'll have to bend over.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
HOLY CRAP! I'm waaaaay otta touch. I'm paying like $285.00 a year, my gym is nice, but it's like 25 mins. from home. By the time I get home, change, get in the car, make the drive, I'm just not feelin' it any more. I'm looking for something dowtown that I can walk to right after work. I guess I'll have to bend over.

Mine is on the low side of cost as well. Some in LIncoln Park cost around 125 a month!!!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)

I coughed up about 398 for a year at Xsport. Its straight, I like the fact that it has a basketball court. I contract expired so now I pay $30 a month

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Sheeeeit, they can line up and rub it for $125.00 a month.

Do you have room to get stuff for home? I loaded up the basement after the clubs became more like meat markets than health clubs. Big initial investment, but paid for itself in 2 years with no HC fees and less Tylenol.

I have no problem with the meat market atmosphere, I can tune it out. I get in, do my thing and get out. Might have to bite the bullet and join downtown somewhere, or Bally's, thx guys.

QUOTE(chisoxdavid @ May 10, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
I coughed up about 398 for a year at Xsport. Its straight, I like the fact that it has a basketball court. I contract expired so now I pay $30 a month

That's where I've been going forever, back when it was The Powerhouse. I'm locked into $285.00 a year.

I'd avoid Bally's. Their deal is, you do a contract for 2 or 3 years, at about $50 a month (give or take, depending on the deal you get, whether you want to use multiple clubs). Then after 3 years, you drop down to like $12 a month for life. Sounds good, right? Yeah, except all the Bally's I go to are in awful shape. Bad equipment (and not enough of it), locker rooms and showers are disgusting...

I have heard really good things about the Lakeshore Athletic Club (downtown, LP, west loop), but they are PRICEY. There is a club above Union Station, don't know the name, that is supposed to be really good and relatively inexpensive.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
I'd avoid Bally's. Their deal is, you do a contract for 2 or 3 years, at about $50 a month (give or take, depending on the deal you get, whether you want to use multiple clubs). Then after 3 years, you drop down to like $12 a month for life. Sounds good, right? Yeah, except all the Bally's I go to are in awful shape. Bad equipment (and not enough of it), locker rooms and showers are disgusting...

I have heard really good things about the Lakeshore Athletic Club (downtown, LP, west loop), but they are PRICEY. There is a club above Union Station, don't know the name, that is supposed to be really good and relatively inexpensive.

The ballys i went to, webster place, Clark, South Loop are all in pretty bad shape. Webster place is the best, but they dont even give you towels. PLus I never smelled anything worse than their locker rooms. Now I go to the LPAC in the west loop called WAC, and I could love it more. I think its worth the 60 a month to at least have a clean safe place to work out.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
The ballys i went to, webster place, Clark, South Loop are all in pretty bad shape. Webster place is the best, but they dont even give you towels. PLus I never smelled anything worse than their locker rooms. Now I go to the LPAC in the west loop called WAC, and I could love it more. I think its worth the 60 a month to at least have a clean safe place to work out.

Webster is pretty bad, yeah. But I can walk to it, so thats the one I use from home. The one downtown at Monroe and Franklin is awful. I've never been in the others. I heard a rumor they are closing the Franklin one anyway.

LPAC might be appealing, since they have one west loop. For 60 a month thats not bad, for a good club.

I was at Ballys for years. Its a dump. They closed the one on 22nd street, so I had to change clubs.

Now I am at Lifetime and its a hell of a difference. Its expensive 100 bucks a month for the wife and I. But the immenities are awsome. 17 person indoor whirlpool, 4 lane swim pool, indoor zero depth pool with waterslide, and an outdoor pool with a whirlpool. The place is clean, TVs everwhere. It feels more like a country club than a gym.

My suggestion is to try a few of these places. There is a lot of competitiion in this area, and they all will give you free workouts to try it out. I think I tried like 5 different gyms before I went with Lifetime.

Edited by southsideirish71

I go to Ballys (either the one just off Golf Road in Schaumberg) or the one across the street from Chicago Ridge Mall (and once or twice to the one in Evergreen).

The one in Schaumberg is nice, but they seem to take a long time getting equipment repaired. The one by Ridge is dark inside, but I really like it and would be there regularly if it weren't for the lack of parking and rush hour traffic (I go to the one off Golf to let traffic die down).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
Webster is pretty bad, yeah. But I can walk to it, so thats the one I use from home. The one downtown at Monroe and Franklin is awful. I've never been in the others. I heard a rumor they are closing the Franklin one anyway.

LPAC might be appealing, since they have one west loop. For 60 a month thats not bad, for a good club.

Its the old hoops the gym. Randolph and ashland pretty much. Its really nice. The ballys I went to on south wells was so gross. The locker room made me cringe every time I was in it. Not to mention, what is the deal with Bally's not giving out towels???

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 11, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Anyone know what the World Gym near Wacker and Monroe would rape me for per month?

I used to belong, I believe it was around 85 a month, and it was a dump when i worked out there 2 years ago. I work almost right next door now, and they always parade an old retarded man in an ape suit to hand out fliers.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
Its the old hoops the gym. Randolph and ashland pretty much. Its really nice. The ballys I went to on south wells was so gross. The locker room made me cringe every time I was in it. Not to mention, what is the deal with Bally's not giving out towels???

I used to belong, I believe it was around 85 a month, and it was a dump when i worked out there 2 years ago. I work almost right next door now, and they always parade an old retarded man in an ape suit to hand out fliers.

LMAO, that old guy in the suit is nuts!! I saw a group of tourists (who I guess thought the suit was kinda cute) send their kid over to stand next to him for a picture and the guy growled something at the kid and the whole group ran away. He's in that thing even in 95 degree heat.

I'll check them out just to see what they offer me.

My brother was going to pay $160 for 6 months at a gym(I think it was Gold's), but I opted to go half and half with him on a bench press, 300 Olympic-sized Weights, a curl bar, and dumbells. Cost us $360 and it's Gold's Gym equipment. I'm pretty sure the lady did the pricing wrong because it was all only $320 and we expected it to be around $400 when looking at the prices.