Haeger

rangercal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I just don't see a good spot for him on the ML roster. There's no one who's got the combination of minor league options left and poor enough numbers to justify holding him up barring another major injury.

BMac, Logan, Jenks, and Cotts are probably the only ones in our bullpen who even have options left. Logan has the 2nd best ERA on our team right now (Thanks in part to other people), Cotts has come around, Jenks is 10/11 in saves, etc. Brandon's the only one who right now has had a bad time of late, and even he ain't going anywhere for Charlie.

Charlie pitches 2 dynamite games and he may very well find himself starting for someone else's big league team within a month or two.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 10, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
What does Charlie have to do during his stint to stay up, if anything?

Who would he replace eventually?

Just posting this in advance, because everybody else will if he pitches a gem tonight. :gosoxretro:

I don't think he has a chance to stay up at this point. If Contreras requires more time on the DL, McCarthy will be put into the rotation, and the Sox will have to call up a MR (Lopez or maybe Tracey?).

If Charlie comes up, and has 2 great starts, it certainly will put the cat among the pigeons.

Since he's got plenty of options, I'd probably still prefer to move him back down to Charlotte.

But if I'm KW, and if I could trade Haeger to a team that really needed a young starter, if they were willing to overpay by including a real good prospect, then yeah I would go for it. I think we've got better SP prospects in the minors anyway.

I would love to get a good middle infield prospect for or farm system.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
I dont think he does. As I said before, I do not think Knuckleballers are good our of the pen, and we really dont need another SP if JC comes back.

Hoyt Wilhelm was pretty good out of the bullpen. Its also how Wilbur Wood started out, and Tim Wakefield has made numerous appearances out of the bullpen, and I believe was a closer at one point. I really don't see where there much room for him on the staff, unless its for a guy like Logan, once Contreras gets back, but if he does well enough, he be a great candidate to trade if a need arises.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Hoyt Wilhelm was pretty good out of the bullpen. Its also how Wilbur Wood started out, and Tim Wakefield has made numerous appearances out of the bullpen, and I believe was a closer at one point. I really don't see where there much room for him on the staff, unless its for a guy like Logan, once Contreras gets back, but if he does well enough, he be a great candidate to trade if a need arises.

In my view, the walks, steals and past balls are enough to make me not want to bring in a knuckleballer with runners on the bases.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
In my view, the walks, steals and past balls are enough to make me not want to bring in a knuckleballer with runners on the bases.

Obviously the catcher is important. It will be interesting to see how AJ handles it. If one gets by him every at bat, I would agree that the Sox probably wouldn't want to throw Haeger in a tight game with a man or 2 or 3 on. If he's as effective as he's been in Charlotte, or close to it, if he at least starts an inning, not many are going to get on. The Sox have a couple pitchers who can't hold guys on in Conteras and Garcia. I also think those 2 finished first and second in wild pitches last season. Haeger is just like any other rookie, he's going to have to prove he can get major league hitters out. Watching the last few the Sox have trotted out from Charlotte, the odds seem to favor him getting lit up, but if he's lights out, they probably should keep him on the roster.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 10, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Obviously the catcher is important. It will be interesting to see how AJ handles it. If one gets by him every at bat, I would agree that the Sox probably wouldn't want to throw Haeger in a tight game with a man or 2 or 3 on. If he's as effective as he's been in Charlotte, or close to it, if he at least starts an inning, not many are going to get on. The Sox have a couple pitchers who can't hold guys on in Conteras and Garcia. I also think those 2 finished first and second in wild pitches last season. Haeger is just like any other rookie, he's going to have to prove he can get major league hitters out. Watching the last few the Sox have trotted out from Charlotte, the odds seem to favor him getting lit up, but if he's lights out, they probably should keep him on the roster.

After watching him, would you like him coming out of the pen with men on? I sure as s*** wouldnt.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 10, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
I'm gonna guess that after tonight, McCarthy gets Jose's next start. Just a hunch after tonight's Walk-A-Thon

Won't happen if Contreras is on schedule to return May 20th.

You can book that.

Not worth it to make McCarthy stretch out and then send him back to the pen just for one start.