Haeger

rangercal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not see any of his start as I had work. However, if you expected him to do well then you're insane. I doubt any knuckleballer in his first career start ever got a single call and was squeezed like there was no tomorrow.

QUOTE(jenksd @ May 10, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
I did not see any of his start as I had work. However, if you expected him to do well then you're insane. I doubt any knuckleballer in his first career start ever got a single call and was squeezed like there was no tomorrow.

The walks eliminated any chance of him having even a decent start.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
no way he stays with us. funniest thing is that supposedly everyone LOVES the knuckleball. we got more time on BBTN for this scrub than we do for having the best record in baseball. send him packing now and maybe get someone in the bullpen that can actually get guys out.

*COUGH* BMAC *COUGH*

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
no way he stays with us. funniest thing is that supposedly everyone LOVES the knuckleball. we got more time on BBTN for this scrub than we do for having the best record in baseball. send him packing now and maybe get someone in the bullpen that can actually get guys out.

All of you idiots calling for Haeger to be shipped off with no return are complete and utter fanboys. One start, one mistake is all you people need to s***can someone. He was obviously nervous as hell pitching for the World Champions in substitution for arguably the best pitch in all of baseball. If anyone thought he was going to be gangbusters and pitch even relatively well was naive. This guy is 22, has 20 starts above A ball with a knuckleball and he's a "scrub" already? Does anyone get second chances in the universe you live in? He was obviously upset as he was routinely yelling at himself after f***ing up.

You're theorizing taking our best piece of the bullpen now and throwing him out there for a mere start when it's obvious we need him in the pen. If Contreras is out long term, then by all means McCarthy should be in the rotatioin, but to toss someone aside after one start is mind boggling.

You know what McCarthy's numbers were after being called up for the first time? Less than stellar:

25.1 IP

31 H

22 ER

9 BB

17 SO

Who else are the Sox going to throw into the fire for seemingly one start? Tim Redding? Lance Broadway? And what if they fare the same as Haeger? Where do you go from then? You people simply cannot judge someone on one start or you'll have a revolving door 25 man roster. Asinine.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
All of you idiots calling for Haeger to be shipped off with no return are complete and utter fanboys. One start, one mistake is all you people need to s***can someone. He was obviously nervous as hell pitching for the World Champions in substitution for arguably the best pitch in all of baseball. If anyone thought he was going to be gangbusters and pitch even relatively well was naive. This guy is 22, has 20 starts above A ball with a knuckleball and he's a "scrub" already? Does anyone get second chances in the universe you live in? He was obviously upset as he was routinely yelling at himself after f***ing up.

You're theorizing taking our best piece of the bullpen now and throwing him out there for a mere start when it's obvious we need him in the pen. If Contreras is out long term, then by all means McCarthy should be in the rotatioin, but to toss someone aside after one start is mind boggling.

You know what McCarthy's numbers were after being called up for the first time? Less than stellar:

25.1 IP

31 H

22 ER

9 BB

17 SO

Who else are the Sox going to throw into the fire for seemingly one start? Tim Redding? Lance Broadway? And what if they fare the same as Haeger? Where do you go from then? You people simply cannot judge someone on one start or you'll have a revolving door 25 man roster. Asinine.

Good post.

Haeger needs to learn how to throw the kunckleball for strikes if he wants to be sucessful in the majors.

But he showed enough tonight to suggest that he definitely has a future at the major league level if he can improve on that. He just needs more time to "refine" his stuff, if you will, as Cerb said.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)

25.1 IP

31 H

22 ER

9 BB

17 SO

get your lips off of his behind and your tongue outta his ***. he IS a scrub. he's a gimmick pitcher. he's at best an innings eater on the tampa bay devil rays. he doesn't belong on this roster. with the off day they could have skipped JC's spot in the rotation. THAT would have been the smart thing to do. so lets see what happened tonight.

1) we lost

2) used almost everyone in the bullpen

3) the bullpen blew up

4) we lost

i guess we just differ. u preach patience and losing baseball. i'm a win at all costs kinda guy. u take the rookies and i'll take the established starters.

So for everyone that watched the game... How did Haeger's knuckler look and did he mix in his other pitches a lot or not really(fastball/Slider). Also I know he obviously did poorly but rather than stretch B-Macs arm our for 1-2 starts id much rather keep him in his bullpen role unless a starter is going to be out for an extended period of time. Also I think next year if Haeger is called up he will have Stewart to throw too who he should be much more comfortable throwing too.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
get your lips off of his behind and your tongue outta his ***. he IS a scrub. he's a gimmick pitcher. he's at best an innings eater on the tampa bay devil rays. he doesn't belong on this roster. with the off day they could have skipped JC's spot in the rotation. THAT would have been the smart thing to do. so lets see what happened tonight.

1) we lost

3) the bullpen blew up

4) we lost

i guess we just differ. u preach patience and losing baseball. i'm a win at all costs kinda guy. u take the rookies and i'll take the established starters.

Yup, because a person's first major league game will determine the course of their season and career.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)

1) we lost

3) the bullpen blew up

4) we lost

Win at all costs by raping and pillaging the farm system? Joe Crede sucked pretty bad for about two years, so I guess he'd be shipped out? Anderson? f*** him, can't hit above .200. Cotts? Man, remember that game in New York? Garland? Mediocre.

You prove my point that you're an ignorant fanboy all too well.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
Win at all costs by raping and pillaging the farm system? Joe Crede sucked pretty bad for about two years, so I guess he'd be shipped out? Anderson? f*** him, can't hit above .200. Cotts? Man, remember that game in New York? Garland? Mediocre.

Haha, that was too easy. :sweep:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
Haeger needs to learn how to throw the kunckleball for strikes if he wants to be sucessful in the majors.

But he showed enough tonight to suggest that he definitely has a future at the major league level if he can improve on that. He just needs more time to "refine" his stuff, if you will, as Cerb said.

I think he'll be fine, if not good in the long run. He's already worked with Hough, and Phil Niekro has offered to help him as well. He's 22 with only one full season above A ball. His stuff moved everywhere, and it was much nastier than Wakefield.

As a person that was at the game here is a couple of interesting items.

When Haeger came out to do his warm ups he was nervous as hell. He threw one into the backstop. Usually an umpire sits behind the catcher to gage a new pitcher and how their ball comes in. The ump was kind of disinterested, in fact AJ had to kind of get his attention to get a new ball to warm up with. He rushed his warm ups and that was just the start of it.

He could throw his fastball for strikes pretty much. It had some life to it. However his hard knuckler he would either let sail, or he would pound it into the dirt. His slow knuckler he didnt use that much. He would get to 2-0 or 3-1 on a guy and then would throw a few fastballs to get back into the count, then would try and trick the guy with a knuckler.

It could of been a lot worse as far as the walk to run damage, but Guerro has no patience at the plate and was swinging at the first knuckle ball near the plate.

The hard knuckler seems to be his bread and butter pitch, and it wasnt doing anything for him. It was dancing a bit, but he wasnt going to get it called for a strike. Then they could sit on the fastball.

Tough start for the kid. Maybe Ozzie should of taken him out after he had a good inning to make him feel better and leave on a good note. He was on the verge of a bit hurt the entire evening.

His knuckler can be effective if he throws strikes.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
I think he'll be fine, if not good in the long run. He's already worked with Hough, and Phil Niekro has offered to help him as well. He's 22 with only one full season above A ball. His stuff moved everywhere, and it was much nastier than Wakefield.

From what I saw of him briefly on Baseball Tonight, his stuff looked fairly good. The Knuckle was breaking, and he throws it pretty hard as well at about 70MPH, a lot faster than say Tim Wakefield like you said.

If anything, it's great that Charlie even got the oppurtunity to pitch tonight, considering how much progress he's made so far this season, for a guy who hasn't pitched a lot in the last few years. I still like him as a prospect, and I think he could definitely have a future for us in our rotation if all goes well for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
From what I saw of him briefly on Baseball Tonight, his stuff looked fairly good. The Knuckle was breaking, and he throws it pretty hard as well at about 70MPH, a lot faster than say Tim Wakefield like you said.

Yea same thing. And the pitches I saw him miss on were very close, not way high, or way low. I think that's another difference between AAA and the bigs. Most of their hitters would swing at those pitches. Just minor stuff like that he will learn from. He is going to be a stud come two years. Just 22 years old. My goodness.. :o

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)

rape and pillage? i don't call trading a guy that will never help your team win a world series, for bullpen help raping and pillaging? obviously your life sucks bad enought to be the "tough talking message board guy", so these are my last thoughts on the subject.

Anderson-4th outfielder

Garland- one year wonder

Crede-playing for contract

what about danny wright?

where's mckay christensen?

what about super joe borchard?

scott ruffcorn?

rodney bolton?

jon rauch?

the great one year wonder mike caruso

luis andujar

arnie munoz?

and the names go on and on

spout all the names for me you'd like gutless wonder.

the best you got is mr. one year jon garland???? looks like you'll have to take his sausage outta your mouth to respond.

looks like the sox disagree with you as charlies ass we sent packing back down to the minors. now please give us a rant on kenny williams and why this was wrong.