Why are managers reluctant to bring in their closers

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
say your team is up 3 runs, but during the 8th inning the set up man melts down and allows 2 runs in. Why do a lot of managers keep thier bigmoney closer in the pen and hope that the lead is still there in the 9th?

Because they are afraid of the criticism. The best pitcher in the bullpen needs to be in the game when the game is on the line.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
say your team is up 3 runs, but during the 8th inning the set up man melts down and allows 2 runs in. Why do a lot of managers keep thier bigmoney closer in the pen and hope that the lead is still there in the 9th?

completely hypothetical situation, right? ;)

The Twins have been money out of the pen in the past 5 years or so. I think Gardenhire is still going with the formula that he is accustomed to. Its different for every manager though. Consider Ozzie, he goes with the matchups(which infuriurates many around here), then think about Torre, who puts Mariano Rivera in if he has a lead in the ninth. Of course, Jason Isringhausen and Eric Gagne were known for coming in for the 2 inning save, and Izzy has not been the same since his 2nd year removed from Oakland, and Gagne's elbow is falling apart again. I dont think there is any real formula to it, I think managers go with their gut for the most part.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 10, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)

completely hypothetical situation, right?

;)

The Twins have been money out of the pen in the past 5 years or so. I think Gardenhire is still going with the formula that he is accustomed to. Its different for every manager though. Consider Ozzie, he goes with the matchups(which infuriurates many around here), then think about Torre, who puts Mariano Rivera in if he has a lead in the ninth. Of course, Jason Isringhausen and Eric Gagne were known for coming in for the 2 inning save, and Izzy has not been the same since his 2nd year removed from Oakland, and Gagne's elbow is falling apart again. I dont think there is any real formula to it, I think managers go with their gut for the most part.

Gagne may be the best reason you can possibly give for why managers are reluctant to bring their closers in for more than the 9th. Before Trading Mota, Gagne was in the middle of his gigantic saves streak, and he was only going 1 inning every time. Then they traded Mota, and basically had no setup man at all, so Gagne suddenly was pitching 2 innings, even 3 innings once for a save. All of a sudden, his save streak ended, and he wound up blowing out his arm.

Yea you want the guy in when the game is on the line, but you also want the guy to stay healthy, not get overworked, and be ready to come out the next night.