RIP John

Texsox

:crying One of my Boy Scouts died today. Of the youth I have been privileged to know, John Rivera was my paycheck more weeks than I can remember. He was the dream Boy Scout, the older Scout who welcomed the new kids, was quiet, with a sly sense of humor. He was a Life Scout, close to Eagle, but advancement never interested him. He had completed everything for 1st Class and didn't tell anyone. Finally, as we were getting ready for Order of the Arrow Elections (Scouting National Honor Society), we looked at his book and realized he was a SM Conference and BoR away from First Class. Two weeks later he was the first, and only, unanimous selected from our Troop to OA.

He rarely missed a campout, even rarer for him to not be at a meeting or service project. The whole family is involved in Scouting. His younger brother is finishing up his Cub Scout career, getting ready to join the Troop, his older one is our Chaplain Aid, after serving a couple terms as SPL. Both parents serve on our committee and are the "go to" parents when the chips are down. when it meant that the boys might not have a trip, his father, with no backpacking experience, and being slightly out of shape, stepped up 6 weeks before we were to leave and filled my spot on our Philmont Trek. At the time I was jealous that he went in my place, now I am so grateful they had that time together.

Tonight, as I write this, his father is making the long drive home from the hospital, alone. On the way, he called me to ask if I thought the boys would consider being pall bearers. When I think of my Scouts, as pall bearers, my heart breaks all over again. I've seen Lion King, this is not the circle of life.

I love that boy, like he was one of my own. I consider myself lucky to have spent so much time these past 5 years with him. I'm figuring at least 50 campouts and 4 summer camps. Now he's gone. We will miss him.

Thank you for indulging me, I wish the world had met him. He had so much to give. 15 years young.

We are setting up a Campership fund in his name. :crying :crying

We just can't fathom the whys of it when we lose people so young. All the more difficult when the individual is a brilliant shining star with so much of himself or herself to give. This boy's family, including the scout community that is his extended family, is in my heart and my thoughts.

Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

John was one of those kids that everyone likes, adults and his peers. As we were talking this morning it was pointed out we are saying the same things about him now, as we did when he was alive. He never missed an outing, meeting, or service project. He leaves a big hole.

Scoutmasters talk about receiving out paychecks when something special happens. John was one of those kids that keep adults volunteering and working with youth.

We have established a small fund to send a deserving Scout to camp. We are hoping to raise $500.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 11, 2006 -> 07:37 AM)
We have established a small fund to send a deserving Scout to camp. We are hoping to raise $500.

If you were to say, create a method by which folks online could contribute a small amount via paypal...well let's say you wouldn't wind up with 0 contributions.

In the middle of March he began presenting signs of some brain abnormality. At first epilepsy was looked into because of a family history. He was wobbling, collapsing, and having trouble speaking clearly. He was in and out of hospitals and doctors offices until about 2 weeks ago when he was admitted to a top children's hospital about 100 miles from here in Corpus Cristi.

He was making small progress with his encephelytis, they never discovered the source. He had spinal taps, MRIs, the works. Anyhow, yesterday afternoon, with his dad at his bedside, he had another seizure, this time he also vomited and aspirated the vomit. The nurses and Doctors were right there, but they couldn't save him.

The last time I saw him was two weeks ago. He wanted to come to the meeting. He is normally very soft spoken, polite, and quiet. As they were wheeling him in, he yelled to me, "Mr. Welton, I'm on a loooooot of drugs!" Later he said "I want to beat you up" and turned to one of the ladies and asked "what are you looking at?" It was so out of character we all were LOL for days afterwards.

I just left the Funeral Home, his family asked me to bring over some pictures of John on campouts. Adding it up, I've probably spent 50 weekends, four, week-long summer camps, a couple hundred meetings on Wednesday nights, 25 all day service projects, and watched Roger Clemens pitch a masterpiece against the Blue Jays with him. Those pictures brough back a lot of memories.

And thank you to those that sent a donation to his campership fund. I mentioned it to a couple of the Troop families and they were really touched at the generosity.

Sorry to hear about that Tex, I just got home from being a pall bearer at one of my friend's funerals. Longtime hockey teammate, former doubles partner in tennis, and accomplice in a few practical jokes. We grew a bit more distant during the school year, but during tennis season we were always around each other. He was 19, and I sat in church today listening to how great of guy he was and throughout the religious spin on things, I thought, is it so wrong to ask why this kind of s*** happens. Parents should never have to bury their children.

I made it through the Memorial service and Rosary. As you can imagine, being young and popular there was a huge, over flowing crowd. I've been asked to speak tomorrow at the funeral and have been wrestling with words for the past couple hours. Here's what I came up with. The family asked for a Scouting theme. He is being buried in his Scout uniform.

Troop 74 has been blessed with a lot of things, but what we have been blessed most by is the families that make up our Troop. John was blessed to have been born into one of the most outstanding families anywhere. I believe many of our nation's problems would be solved if we had more families like the Rivera's.

It is said that it takes a village to raise a child. With that being true, we should all take a bow. There is no better example of an outstanding human being than John. Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Scouting was a big influence on John, and John was a big influence on Scouting. Volunteers do not receive a paycheck, instead, our pay is in the youth we are privileged to serve. Having John in our Troop has made us the wealthiest of Scout leaders. Sometimes we wonder if we are having an impact, if it is worth it. Last night, at the Memorial service, with John's spirit so strong in the room, we know the answer is yes.

At the core, Scouting is about character, citizenship, and fitness. John is a shining example of all three. Fitness. I can see him carrying a backpack that seemed to be double his size. Pound for pound that was one tough kid. Citizenship. His cheerfulness, shy, sly, smile, quiet sense of humor attracted everyone to him. Character. He always did his best. Accepted responsibility and leadership when asked. We all know he would be successful in any endeavor.

His embodiment of Scouting Aims resulted in his unanimous elected to the Order of the Arrow, the National Honor Society for the Boy Scouts. As part of the Order's values, the Scout should show cheerful service in the midst of irksome tasks and weighty responsibilities. I can't remember John ever believing it was irksome to do his assigned tasks or to help his fellow Scout.

Mention Boy Scouts and the world has an expectation. For most it is the All-American boy. Scrubbed clean, pressed uniform, polite, independent, and someone every parent would be proud of. John certainly represented all those attributes and more.

We all will miss him beyond words, but we all will carry a little bit of John with us, and for that we all have been blessed.