This guy should run for president.

YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 11, 2006 -> 05:36 AM)
Below is a link to a fairly long article. I found it a very interesting read. I'm also dead serious regarding the thread title. I was quite impressed by what I read.

The resurrection of ....

I think Gore was, at least in part, doomed by his own campaign strategists. Jokes aside, he had loosened up a bit as VP and become a likeable guy, but then he suddenly stiffened up again during the campaign. It looked to me like they had a different strategy for him every week.

I have no doubt that Gore is a solid human being. I think he has a lot of really good ideas, and surprisingly, the charisma to get them moving. He is also very intelligent and has many views I agree with (particularly the environmental ones as focused on in the article).

But ultimately, I think he lacks the complete package to be a good President. In hindsight, he would probably have been better than Bush. But I think he tends to get a little flinchy and rash when the s**t hits the fan, and thats not an ideal quality for the leader of the free world.

Great article, though. Thanks.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2006 -> 06:34 AM)
Al Gore's biggest mistake was for whatever reason, not utilizing Bill Clinton at all. Love him or hate him, the guy has drawing power.

Al Gore made a f***ing ton of mistakes in 2000. That was one of them. Flip-flopping on which personality he wanted to show every 2 weeks was another one. Listening to too many different advisors and refusing to be himself was another one.

I wouldn't mind it terribly if he did run for the nomination again, but I'm not sure yet whether I'd vote for him or not. He's done a bang-up job of pissing off conservative commentors since about 2002 or so by giving some really good speeches, but I've still got a bad sour taste in my mouth from 2000 that he'd have to overcome.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Al Gore's biggest mistake was for whatever reason, not utilizing Bill Clinton at all. Love him or hate him, the guy has drawing power.

That's easy to say now, but in 2000 every Democrat seemed to be distancing themselves from Clinton because of the scandals. They'd still be distancing themselves, IMO, except that Republicans have proven that sex scandals and perjury are sometimes the least of our worries.

QUOTE(G&T @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
That's easy to say now, but in 2000 every Democrat seemed to be distancing themselves from Clinton because of the scandals. They'd still be distancing themselves, IMO, except that Republicans have proven that sex scandals and perjury are sometimes the least of our worries.

It was easy to say in 2000 as well. The Dems didn't learn that galvanizing your base can be more important than reaching out to middle like the Repubs did. Bill Clinton even during the worst of times, could draw a crowd, draw donations, and get people to vote.

The more I've seen of Al Gore since 2000, the more I've liked him. He acts as his own man now, like the expectations of others no longer apply to what he feels is right. I can respect that. But if he runs for President again, I'm afraid he'll become the Al Gore I wasn't such a big fan of.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Perfect job for Al Gore: heading up the department of energy.

No green. I'm serious.

Why not, his family was one of the biggest shareholders for one of the worlds largest oil companies...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Why not, his family was one of the biggest shareholders for one of the worlds largest oil companies...

THat may be, but check out this trailer for a Documentry produced by Al Gore himself....

An Inconvenient Truthn

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Perfect job for Al Gore: heading up the department of energy.

I agree 100%.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 11, 2006 -> 05:36 AM)
Below is a link to a fairly long article. I found it a very interesting read. I'm also dead serious regarding the thread title. I was quite impressed by what I read.

I have to disagree with you on this. Sometimes, you are better serverd being the crusader for a single cause than trying to run a whole country. If Gore could get connected with the next President and he is put in a leadership position (say the Energy Department), that is where he can make a HUGE impact. As president, he sets policy but will be pulled in many differant directions. Elect a president who believes Al GOre's message and place Gore within the administration.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
I have to disagree with you on this. Sometimes, you are better serverd being the crusader for a single cause than trying to run a whole country. If Gore could get connected with the next President and he is put in a leadership position (say the Energy Department), that is where he can make a HUGE impact. As president, he sets policy but will be pulled in many differant directions. Elect a president who believes Al GOre's message and place Gore within the administration.

I was impressed with his foresightedness. If you think about it, this isn't just an enviromental solution, but it can be applied to energy. Why not take the minds in the Silicon Valley and put them to work on solving the aternative energy question? They have enough resources that they wouldn't be intimidated by the oil barons. Come up with an alternative energy solution and have it backed by someone as strong as, if not stronger, than the oil companies and you have a real solution.

One other point ... An alternative energy solution would go hand in hand with Gore's environmental agenda.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Bushes= OIL FAMILY

Gores= SMART FAMILY

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I don't think I ever criticized Bush's financial investments. I have criticized his policies in regards to energy, though. People can invest in whatever makes money (as long as its legal), and it doesn't effect my opinion of them.