Agustin Montero to be Promoted

Kalapse

Guest JimH

Jason as you know, they moved Tracey back into the rotation in Charlotte and he's just starting to settle into a nice groove. Maybe they want to get him comfortable in case they need a spot starter later on, or maybe he'll be better trade bait if he continues to start in Charlotte?

Montero has been mediocre in his career but in defense of this move he's been lights out down there this year.

Edited by JimH

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ozzie has always gone with the guy who has the hot hand. he has said that a few times before so this doesn't really surprise me too much. now doing this in the bigs and bringing up a guy doing it in aaa is different, but i'm gonna trust kenny on this one and hope for the best.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
I'm not saying its going to cost us the season, but its still a stupid move. Tracey >>>>> Moreno. Not only does Tracey have lightyears better stuff, he also has a tremendous attitude and deserves the shot over Moreno (plus Tracey is more susceptible to suceed).

Moreno = AAAAer and a juicer on top of that.

Well since we dont need a starter because of BMAC, that could be one reason. And because Tracey could give Haeger a run for his money with walks, that could be another.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Montero has been mediocre in his career but in defense of this move he's been lights out down there this year.

You've gotta love that the defense of the move is that Montero didn't suck in his last 25 innings (his first taste of success above AA at age 28), turning a blind eye to the fact that he spent 10 years of mediocre-at-best pitching prior to the last 5 weeks.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
I agree. I just threw out my season tickets. This is ridiculous.

where do you live? Im going to come get those tix out of the trash for you and properly dispose of them

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
You've gotta love that the defense of the move is that Montero didn't suck in his last 25 innings (his first taste of success above AA at age 28), turning a blind eye to the fact that he spent 10 years of mediocre-at-best pitching prior to the last 5 weeks.

Does it really matter. We are bringing in an arm to fill BMAC's spot. He might not even get a shot to pitch, unless we are up or down several runs. Its not like this guy is starting, he is just filling in a gap. I dont understand why people care so damn much.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
I'm not saying its going to cost us the season, but its still a stupid move. Tracey >>>>> Moreno. Not only does Tracey have lightyears better stuff, he also has a tremendous attitude and deserves the shot over Moreno (plus Tracey is more susceptible to suceed).

Moreno = AAAAer and a juicer on top of that.

C'mon Jas, I've heard nothing but good things about Tracey's character and I know he has filthy stuff but with his control do you honestly think he can successfully get major league hitters out? Even control pitchers such as BMac struggle with the ML zone their first time around. Tracey needs to cut down on the walks or he will be eaten alive.

I know nothing about this Montero character or moses moreno as you like to call him apparently.

Hopefully they call him up and he never even sees action except in mop up duty.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Well since we dont need a starter because of BMAC, that could be one reason. And because Tracey could give Haeger a run for his money with walks, that could be another.

I'd rather take a guy who has major league stuff than a guy who not only doesn't have major league stuff, but has already proven he's a 4A guy and a doper.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Does it really matter. We are bringing in an arm to fill BMAC's spot. He might not even get a shot to pitch, unless we are up or down several runs. Its not like this guy is starting, he is just filling in a gap. I dont understand why people care so damn much.

Exactly I dont see why we should care at all about this move. The only thing that we should/can be concerned about is that it pushes Logan and Thornton into more prominent roles in our bullpen. This is why you have AAAA players. So you can fill in roster spots during times just like these.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)

Here's the thing. Sean Tracey could potentially be a long term answer. I realize he may not be ready now, but he's in AAA and has pitched fantastically recently. Moreno is a 28 year old who has never had any success about AA until THIS YEAR.

Tracey at 25 is old for a prospect, but he's older because he's a converted pitcher who had only pitched about a year and a half prior to being drafted.

I'd rather give Tracey a week or so to just see what life is like in the majors. It would be a great experience for one of our few prospects who could potentially make an impact THIS season (he could be a solid reliever by years end) and he would be up here with little pressure since he would be back down in a week's time.

Tracey could also bail the team out if one of our starters got clobbered and we needed a guy to go multiple innings. I'm not a fan of passing up on a talented prospect who has plenty of options left (Tracey).

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
C'mon Jas, I've heard nothing but good things about Tracey's character and I know he has filthy stuff but with his control do you honestly think he can successfully get major league hitters out? Even control pitchers such as BMac struggle with the ML zone their first time around. Tracey needs to cut down on the walks or he will be eaten alive.

I know nothing about this Montero character or moses moreno as you like to call him apparently.

Hopefully they call him up and he never even sees action except in mop up duty.

I don't have the splits in front of me, but since joining the rotation and getting his arm loosened up he has not had near as much control problem. Plus with his stuff and sinker he has the ability to get major leaguer's out.

Montero on the other hand has stunk pretty much everywhere he's been, especially as of late. This is by far his best season ever and its his first sucessful stint in AAA after quite a few partial seasons at the level. During that time the best AAA ERA he ever had was 4.97 in 35 relief apperances with Las Vegas (Dodgers AAA affiliate).

That was in 2003. This guy is a BUM. Tracey may not succeed in his first stint, but unlike Montero (who has nowhere to go), Tracey could actually use a short stint and learn from it and potentially have his development sped up thanks to it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Here's the thing. Sean Tracey could potentially be a long term answer. I realize he may not be ready now, but he's in AAA and has pitched fantastically recently. Moreno is a 28 year old who has never had any success about AA until THIS YEAR.

Tracey at 25 is old for a prospect, but he's older because he's a converted pitcher who had only pitched about a year and a half prior to being drafted.

I'd rather give Tracey a week or so to just see what life is like in the majors. It would be a great experience for one of our few prospects who could potentially make an impact THIS season (he could be a solid reliever by years end) and he would be up here with little pressure since he would be back down in a week's time.

Tracey could also bail the team out if one of our starters got clobbered and we needed a guy to go multiple innings. I'm not a fan of passing up on a talented prospect who has plenty of options left (Tracey).

I don't have the splits in front of me, but since joining the rotation and getting his arm loosened up he has not had near as much control problem. Plus with his stuff and sinker he has the ability to get major leaguer's out.

Montero on the other hand has stunk pretty much everywhere he's been, especially as of late. This is by far his best season ever and its his first sucessful stint in AAA after quite a few partial seasons at the level. During that time the best AAA ERA he ever had was 4.97 in 35 relief apperances with Las Vegas (Dodgers AAA affiliate).

That was in 2003. This guy is a BUM. Tracey may not succeed in his first stint, but unlike Montero (who has nowhere to go), Tracey could actually use a short stint and learn from it and potentially have his development sped up thanks to it.

Just to add one more thing about the knock on Tracey's control. It should be noted that Montero (in his career) gives up over 5 walks per game (5.32).

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)

So you're saying that Isiah Thomas wants this kid?

Add me to the list that don't like the fact he used or uses steroids.

But if it means BMac can start, I'm in favor of the move.

We should trade the knuckleballer to Boston. They seem to be OK with

knuckleballers.

Hey Jim

Apparently they opted for Montero because they don't want to take Tracey out of the rotation. The initial reason they were leaning towards promoting Tracey was because they felt he could come up, start (get some experience) and than go back down without getting all jumbled.

But instead Ozzie wants to use Bmac in the rotation (apparently he announced it immediately following the Sox game, but no one picked up on it right away) and because of that they figure its better to bring up a guy like Montero as opposed to potentially get Tracey into a rut.

I still say I'd rather see Tracey, but since we are only looking at righties I guess Montero is the guy and since he has experience out of the pen (well at least more of it) he must have been looked at harder than a guy like Tim Redding (who has stunk at both levels, in at least some part due to arm injuries a few years back).

Guest JimH
Hey Jim

Apparently they opted for Montero because they don't want to take Tracey out of the rotation. The initial reason they were leaning towards promoting Tracey was because they felt he could come up, start (get some experience) and than go back down without getting all jumbled.

But instead Ozzie wants to use Bmac in the rotation (apparently he announced it immediately following the Sox game, but no one picked up on it right away) and because of that they figure its better to bring up a guy like Montero as opposed to potentially get Tracey into a rut.

I still say I'd rather see Tracey, but since we are only looking at righties I guess Montero is the guy and since he has experience out of the pen (well at least more of it) he must have been looked at harder than a guy like Tim Redding (who has stunk at both levels, in at least some part due to arm injuries a few years back).

Jas, yes, I kinda figured they wanted Tracey to settle in. Ozzie knows Montero too, I think from the Marlins org. but not certain. Redding has been starting down there, that's what he wants to do so he can show the other 29 teams he's healthy. This sounds like just a look-see for Montero.

The Sox like Tracey but they definitely want him to get into a groove with his mechanics and get those walks down. His fastball has kinda leveled off, into the low 90's. To me he is trade bait but he could fill in if some of the White Sox arms start dragging.

The thing with Montero is they told him to be aggressive and let his arm action and raw stuff do the work. I tend to agree with you that he's a marginal talent but maybe they've fixed something mechanically. Tough to say but his early results in Charlotte are good. Juan Nieves is a good pitching coach and he has a knack for teaching guys slightly different grips to get more movement and better command.

Anyways this guy gets a chance. The plus side is it's May, they can see what they've got in case they need to rely on any of these guys in August.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Jas, yes, I kinda figured they wanted Tracey to settle in. Ozzie knows Montero too, I think from the Marlins org. but not certain. Redding has been starting down there, that's what he wants to do so he can show the other 29 teams he's healthy. This sounds like just a look-see for Montero.

The Sox like Tracey but they definitely want him to get into a groove with his mechanics and get those walks down. His fastball has kinda leveled off, into the low 90's. To me he is trade bait but he could fill in if some of the White Sox arms start dragging.

The thing with Montero is they told him to be aggressive and let his arm action and raw stuff do the work. I tend to agree with you that he's a marginal talent but maybe they've fixed something mechanically. Tough to say but his early results in Charlotte are good. Juan Nieves is a good pitching coach and he has a knack for teaching guys slightly different grips to get more movement and better command.

Anyways this guy gets a chance. The plus side is it's May, they can see what they've got in case they need to rely on any of these guys in August.

Montero was in the Oak, LaD, and Tex organizations. Ozzie's seen him for all of 5 innings in game action this spring, where he was busy hanging a poor breaking ball.

Guest JimH
Montero was in the Oak, LaD, and Tex organizations. Ozzie's seen him for all of 5 innings in game action this spring, where he was busy hanging a poor breaking ball.

Right, and he couldn't have seen him last year in spring training in AZ with the Rangers? I guess he doesn't know him then, thought I heard Guillen say he knew this guy from somewhere, it wasn't the Marlins though as you point out. Maybe his breaking ball is working better in different weather, I guess we'll find out.