Crash Breaks Nose

The Critic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
The reason players like Anderson and Kotsay get over hyped defensively while guys like Rowand and Hunter get underrated is through peer pressure. It's a lesser form but still very appearant, one person says Kotsay is the best defensive center fielder in the AL, Rowand gets s***ty jumps and Torii Hunter has lost a step and suddenly people start latching on to this while ignoring the blatant visual evidence that proves otherwise.

So you're saying that Anderson is overhyped defensively? I'm not sure yet who I want catching the fly ball to center with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth, him or Rowand, but he's sure a damn good center fielder thus far, so I don't see how he's "over hyped".

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
So you're saying that Anderson is overhyped defensively? I'm not sure yet who I want catching the fly ball to center with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth, him or Rowand, but he's sure a damn good center fielder thus far, so I don't see how he's "over hyped".

The fact that he's 42 games into his pro career and already being considered better than Torii Hunter is a joke. He's a very good defensive centerfielder right now but I'm going to have to see a larger body of work from him before I start proclaiming him a top 2 defensive CF in baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
The reason players like Anderson and Kotsay get over hyped defensively while guys like Rowand and Hunter get underrated is through peer pressure. It's a lesser form but still very appearant, one person says Kotsay is the best defensive center fielder in the AL, Rowand gets s***ty jumps and Torii Hunter has lost a step and suddenly people start latching on to this while ignoring the blatant visual evidence that proves otherwise.

Soooooo, you are saying a rookie who just broke into the league is "overhyped" while a player who has been aquired to solidify a defensive outfield is "underrated?" I dont even think that makes sense. The blatant visual evidence is that Anderson gets to the short balls than A-row let drop, and gets to the deep balls quicker. At the same time he has a stronger arm.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
The fact that he's 42 games into his pro career and already being considered better than Torii Hunter is a joke. He's a very good defensive centerfielder right now but I'm going to have to see a larger body of work from him before I start proclaiming him a top 2 defensive CF in baseball.

Who said he was better than Torii Hunter?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Who said he was better than Torii Hunter?

It has been stated a few times in atleast one of the many thread that discusses Brian Anderson's defense.

Also, I disagree on arm strength I'd say at the very least Rowand and Anderson have equal arm strength where as Anderson has better accuracy. It seemed last year that Rowand lost all of his accuracy on throws to home and just ended up hitting the back of the mound on every throw.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
It has been stated a few times in atleast one of the many thread that discusses Brian Anderson's defense.

Also, I disagree on arm strength I'd say at the very least Rowand and Anderson have equal arm strength where as Anderson has better accuracy. It seemed last year that Rowand lost all of his accuracy on throws to home and just ended up hitting the back of the mound on every throw.

No way, Anderson has above average arm strength, while Rowand is average IMO. Anderson is not only more accurate but can throw from deep in the OF. Wasnt he a pitcher in college as well?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
No way, Anderson has above average arm strength, while Rowand is average IMO. Anderson is not only more accurate but can throw from deep in the OF. Wasnt he a pitcher in college as well?

Yes, he was a pitcher which doesn't mean a lot. Arm strength is a very subjective thing and I'm not really sure where you've seen Anderson throw from deep in the OF. I don't remember him getting many oppertunities to do that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Yes, he was a pitcher which doesn't mean a lot. Arm strength is a very subjective thing and I'm not really sure where you've seen Anderson throw from deep in the OF. I don't remember him getting many oppertunities to do that.

The couple of times I've seen him make throws, he's been pretty darn close to where you want the ball to be about as fast as you'd hope it would get there. But he's been around so little time that he could have a bunch of Vlad-terrible throws waiting in the pipe and we wouldn't have a clue. He also hasn't had a chance to pile up assists from out there yet, or get people scared to run on him. If he can keep putting out throws like the ones he's done thus far, then within a couple of months the scouting reports will start saying not to test him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)

How about last week? The week before that? Ive been to almost every home game this year, save 2 or 3, and I watch the games. I love Rowand, as a person, and as a player. But he had certain weakness in the field, one being the line drive straight at him, another being the short blooper, and another is his arm strength. I believe Anderson is better at all 3 areas.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
How about last week? The week before that? Ive been to almost every home game this year, save 2 or 3, and I watch the games. I love Rowand, as a person, and as a player. But he had certain weakness in the field, one being the line drive straight at him, another being the short blooper, and another is his arm strength. I believe Anderson is better at all 3 areas.

You're right, maybe I should start watching the games instead of just pretending I do because you know I'm just pulling all this out of my ass, I'm actually a Dodger fan, don't watch a lot of American league baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
You're right, maybe I should start watching the games instead of just pretending I do because you know I'm just pulling all this out of my ass, I'm actually a Dodger fan, don't watch a lot of American league baseball.

I always figured as much.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)

Come on, get your boys to start throwing at tetrahydrogestrinone's knees!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)

Easy killer, I was defending myself from your inference that I didnt watch the games. In no way was I implying that you didnt.

Just to add my 2 cents, I think that both of you are right to a certain extent. At this point, I think Anderson has better jumps on the ball and a better arm while Rowand has better instincts and has that ability to make great plays. Sure, it's easy to say that Anderson is better than Rowand because BA is on the Sox. If BA was a Philly and Rowand was on the Sox, and BA made the same play, we'd all be saying that Rowand is a better fielder. Rowand just has that toughness that everyone likes.

Let me put it this way, if I had to choose between BA and ARow to make 1 play, I'd take Anderson.

And as far as arm strength and accuracy, it's undoubdtedly in favor of BA. That throw he made from right center to 3rd on a 1 hop the other night was fantastic and stopped the runner from taking the extra base. You just have to love the fact that BA will be there. He'll dive when he needs to but the fact is that he doesn't need to dive that much because he camps under the ball. I mean, come on, Rowand never made any "cans of chef boyardee."

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 12, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Rowand and BA are both amazing out there in CF as far as I can tell.

BA's defensive upside is through the roof.

Hammer, no green, no sarcasm, I absolutely love your love for defense. We may agree to disagree on other unnamed people, but I do appreciate it. :cheers

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere yet, but KW once again has made a trade in which both teams have benefitted greatly. Phillies fans are calling Rowand the savior and we are too busy to notice because we're still waiting for Thome's home runs to land. Everyone is going to want to trade with us now. :)

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 12, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Just to add my 2 cents, I think that both of you are right to a certain extent. At this point, I think Anderson has better jumps on the ball and a better arm while Rowand has better instincts and has that ability to make great plays. Sure, it's easy to say that Anderson is better than Rowand because BA is on the Sox. If BA was a Philly and Rowand was on the Sox, and BA made the same play, we'd all be saying that Rowand is a better fielder. Rowand just has that toughness that everyone likes.

Let me put it this way, if I had to choose between BA and ARow to make 1 play, I'd take Anderson.

And as far as arm strength and accuracy, it's undoubdtedly in favor of BA. That throw he made from right center to 3rd on a 1 hop the other night was fantastic and stopped the runner from taking the extra base. You just have to love the fact that BA will be there. He'll dive when he needs to but the fact is that he doesn't need to dive that much because he camps under the ball. I mean, come on, Rowand never made any "cans of chef boyardee."

I like the way you think there.