Crash Breaks Nose

The Critic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(vandy125 @ May 12, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
I have never heard someone advocate for less hustle from players. :bang Wow, I am just amazed.

If you dug some of those Philly fans out of a cavein, they'd be griping about you getting dirt all over them. Thank God those particular idiots are on the east coast, but I like the thought of turning them loose at Wrigley with that bunch.. :fight

It is True though. About BA and RO. I love Rowand and all but BA plays just as mean if not meaner CF. Like Rock said he gets to the same spot Rowand does and is there waiting for the ball to arrive. But with Rowand hes maybe circlign the wagons or tying to run it down on full speed. Hes a great player and has some great heart but I have already seen plays in this short season from BA that blow my sox off. Like getting to all those looping shallow hits that fell for singles in front of Rowand and that BA jumps at like a Cat and hauls in.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
An absolute spectacular catch, IMO the best one I've ever seen him make period. Knowing Crash, he'll be back in a week or so, dude is like a hockey player.

He got put on the 15-day DL, so it'll be 2 weeks :P

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
An absolute spectacular catch, IMO the best one I've ever seen him make period. Knowing Crash, he'll be back in a week or so, dude is like a hockey player.

So, no one has answered me yet as to whether or not a guy can get away with wearing one of those Rip Hamilton style masks in baseball?

QUOTE(Felix @ May 12, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
He got put on the 15-day DL, so it'll be 2 weeks :P

They overreacted. :P

So, no one has answered me yet as to whether or not a guy can get away with wearing one of those Rip Hamilton style masks in baseball?

Haha I would assume you could. That would be awesome.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
never even heard of it happening.

Neither have I, and I'm wondering if there's a reason. I'd imagine that if you can see a basketball hoop well enough to shoot through those things, you'd be able to see a baseball well enough to swing a bat at it. Or at least that makes sense to me. When's the last time a major league starter actually broke their nose?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Neither have I, and I'm wondering if there's a reason. I'd imagine that if you can see a basketball hoop well enough to shoot through those things, you'd be able to see a baseball well enough to swing a bat at it. Or at least that makes sense to me. When's the last time a major league starter actually broke their nose?

I read in Uni Watch a couple weeks ago that a Univ of Miami pitcher was wearing one.

Here's a picture: http://static.flickr.com/44/135011550_371863e309_b.jpg

Here's the Uni Watch article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060427

I knew this would happen as soon as we traded rowand. People would start talking down rowand's defense and hyping anderson... anderson in all reality is not a better fielder than rowand at this point. He just isn't. The only reason 98% of this board will make that claim is because one is currently on the white sox and the other isn't.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
I knew this would happen as soon as we traded rowand. People would start talking down rowand's defense and hyping anderson... anderson in all reality is not a better fielder than rowand at this point. He just isn't. The only reason 98% of this board will make that claim is because one is currently on the white sox and the other isn't.

Not 98%, more like 5%. Everyone knows how incredible Rowand's D is

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)

well since you wont take objective views comparing the two, would you take statistical proof?

BA is ranked second in the MLB for Range factor with a 3.41 (sizemore has 3.22, gathright 3.51) Rowand is 15th with 2.36. In ZR he is above him as well. Thats about as close as we can get for stats. But I think just watching the two play, its pretty obvious that BA has better range, better arm, better jumps, and positions himself better.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Not 98%, more like 5%. Everyone knows how incredible Rowand's D is

All i see is the hyping of anderson and how rowand was not really that good of a fielder while here ( even though he was one of the 2/3 best outfielders defensively the two years he started for the white sox). Rowand will be superior in every single defensive category ( except maybe assists...) over anderson. But that will still not be enough.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
All i see is the hyping of anderson and how rowand was not really that good of a fielder while here ( even though he was one of the 2/3 best outfielders defensively the two years he started for the white sox). Rowand will be superior in every single defensive category ( except maybe assists...) over anderson. But that will still not be enough.

Rowand is a very good defensive player, but already Anderson is beating him statistically. Why cant you accept the fact that Anderson is better in the field?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Rowand is a very good defensive player, but already Anderson is beating him statistically. Why cant you accept the fact that Anderson is better in the field?

Because he truly isn't.

Do you know what range factor is?

Put outs + assists... very, very dependant on the time of pitchers your team has... ground ball/ fly ball pitchers.

Do you know what zone rating is?

Zone Rating, which is basically a measure of what percentage of the balls landing in a fielder’s zone he successfully fielded. Once again, they are forced to make static assumptions about where each fielder is responsible for covering. It is blindingly obvious to the average fan that there are many situations in which the shortstop is not fielding in the standard “zone” where you would expect him to be fielding, and even worse, there are sometimes whole teams where one defensive player takes control of his unit and becomes an on the field leader, causing the other members of his unit to yield to him on shared plays and damaging their zone ratings unfairly.

Going by these two stats means very little when things are said and done. Rowand will have more win shares.... will have more fraa and the majority of baseball fans know who is the better fielder currently, even though anderson has potential to be a better fielder... if he stays in the league with his bat that is....

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Because he truly isn't.

Do you know what range factor is?

Put outs + assists... very, very dependant on the time of pitchers your team has... ground ball/ fly ball pitchers.

Do you know what zone rating is?

Zone Rating, which is basically a measure of what percentage of the balls landing in a fielder’s zone he successfully fielded. Once again, they are forced to make static assumptions about where each fielder is responsible for covering. It is blindingly obvious to the average fan that there are many situations in which the shortstop is not fielding in the standard “zone” where you would expect him to be fielding, and even worse, there are sometimes whole teams where one defensive player takes control of his unit and becomes an on the field leader, causing the other members of his unit to yield to him on shared plays and damaging their zone ratings unfairly.

Going by these two stats means very little when things are said and done. Rowand will have more win shares.... will have more fraa and the majority of baseball fans know who is the better fielder currently, even though anderson has potential to be a better fielder... if he stays in the league with his bat that is....

yes I know what all the stats mean, and that is basically one of the only stats that we can use to compare fielding. You werent taking objective views, you wont take statistics, what will you take? Qwerty's?

ANderson is better in the field, you can stay loyal all day long to Rowand, but from my baseball experience and knowledge I notice a significant amount of differences, mainly range, arm strength and jumps. I always though Rowand took the best routes to the ball I had ever seen. Well Anderson gets there about 2 seconds before Rowand ever did. He also doesnt have to play as shallow because of this, which allows him to get to more balls. He is superior in the field, no question.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 12, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)

So, yeah, you're right that the stats ESPN gives on defense don't tell the whole story, but I think the criteria you give by which to judge the two aren't much better either. The majority of fans know Rowand as the better fielder? Sure, after his display at Yankee Stadium last year, that's the truth, but Anderson's had a month to catch up to years fo work by Rowand. More win Shares? I don't even see how that matters...I'll bet you Anderson and Thome combine to have more Win Shares this year than Rowand, Gio, and the other guy we traded. So what?

Going by any of the criteria either of you have mentionned thus far only gives you a cursory means of figuring out which of the 2 is better.

Edited by Balta1701

The reason players like Anderson and Kotsay get over hyped defensively while guys like Rowand and Hunter get underrated is through peer pressure. It's a lesser form but still very appearant, one person says Kotsay is the best defensive center fielder in the AL, Rowand gets s***ty jumps and Torii Hunter has lost a step and suddenly people start latching on to this while ignoring the blatant visual evidence that proves otherwise.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
The reason players like Anderson and Kotsay get over hyped defensively while guys like Rowand and Hunter get underrated is through peer pressure. It's a lesser form but still very appearant, one person says Kotsay is the best defensive center fielder in the AL, Rowand gets s***ty jumps and Torii Hunter has lost a step and suddenly people start latching on to this while ignoring the blatant visual evidence that proves otherwise.

:notworthy