The Rowand Catch

wilmot825

Only in f***in Philly. There's a number of fans criticizing him for it.

the loser posts are in pink...

Don't stifle it and you have NO player. Nobody here is blasting him for his all out persona. I like it. I really do. But then you get a game like this where the guy could have killed himself. And for what, a possible win? Like I said before, he could have missed the ball.

Why do we give merit to outcomes and not actions? I understand it is the easy thing to do, but that doesn't make it right.[/i]

Honestly, as a fan watcing for entertainment value, I loved the catch, and I love Rowand for making it. As a fan of the team who hopes they win, I don't kow why anyone would want him to play that way (assuming he's their best option for CF). He broke his nose, maybe he's out for a couple of games...if he breaks his collar bone or his neck, it's a lot longer. Would you want Bobby Abreu playing like that? If you would, you're just not thinking straight.

I want guys on my team to play SMART, not recklessly. That's what leads to championships.

Also saw this on their boards...

"I just re-watched the catch in slow motion on Tivo and what amazed me the most about Rowand's catch was that after he did catch it, he looked forward and saw the wall right in front of him. Instinctively, he held his right hand over his glove to secure the ball inside as the glove slammed against the wall. It worked. The ball stayed in his glove. Without his right hand free to protect his face, his nose slammed into the wall full speed."

"Rowand only gets #3 on SportsCenters Top 10. Griffey's diving catch and walk-off HR were one and two."

That is unbelivable in and of itself. Griffey's diving catch...and a homerun over someone going balls out to save his team.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
The best thing i saw from philly fans is that Rowand requested padding on that metal bar at the beginning of the season, and the fans are up in arms on how its amazing they havent installed it yet.

Damn Rock, I can't concentrate on the messages without looking at your avatar!

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Come back A Row as soon as you're a free agent.

Grinder Extraordinare.

I'll take a guy who gets a good jump on the ball and makes the play look easy over a guy who has bad jumps and has to resort to breaking his face to get the ball.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I'll take a guy who gets a good jump on the ball and makes the play look easy over a guy who has bad jumps and has to resort to breaking his face to get the ball.

Rowand gets bad jumps?

I've officially heard it all.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
Rowand gets bad jumps?

I've officially heard it all.

You appearantly have not been reading a lot of the posts on Aaron's defense, if I had never seen him play before I'd figure that he was pretty damn brutal out there in center field from what I've read here.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
You appearantly have not been reading a lot of the posts on Aaron's defense, if I had never seen him play before I'd figure that he was pretty damn brutal out there in center field from what I've read here.

I've read people knock his defense.

But saying he gets bad jumps? That is purely ridiculous, insane....

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
Hawk Harrelson has officially brain-washed the White Sox fan-base. You're a HOFer/MVP/god when you're in a ChiSox uniform, but as soon as you leave the franchise, you become overrated/awful/POS.

I would hope nobody would call Rowand's defense bad. He is one of the top 5 IMO.