Can we get Rowand back?

SoxFanInDallas

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

um, probably not. but that play he made yesterday is why we loved him here, and why they're going to begin to love him in Philly. Rowand was an integral part in our 2005 WORLD SERIES(!!) team, and we'll never forget what he did for us.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Have you seen the fan reaction to Rowand. The guy is a great player on and off the field. He is exactly what you look for in a fan favorite and leader. His play last night shows why he wont be coming back any time soon.

I know! I know! I know! After seeing that play from yesterday, I was just wishing he was still patroling CF in Chicago. :crying

I like trades like A-Rows. We've got a guy who's first in the AL in HR, RBI, and OBP (min 100ab) and they've got a guy who will be a fan favorite and leaves it all out on the field.

Both teams won. Trades like this make Kenny an intriguing trading partner.

As far as getting him back, I loved A-Row when he was with the Sox, and will always consider him a favorite no matter where he's playing, but I want to see BA patrol CF for several years. I think we've got something special in that kid.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
I like trades like A-Rows. We've got a guy who's first in the AL in HR, RBI, and OBP (min 100ab) and they've got a guy who will be a fan favorite and leaves it all out on the field.

As far as getting him back, I loved A-Row when he was with the Sox, and will always consider him a favorite no matter where he's playing, but I want to see BA patrol CF for several years. I think we've got something special in that kid.

I am not questioning the original trade. I was a big fan of it. But, just like the Red Sox did, they can always trade to get back their guy :huh (But I am a realist and know it will not happen. Philly would be nuts to give him up unless they got some major talent back!)

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
But, just like the Red Sox did, they can always trade to get back their guy

the big difference is that Mirabelli is a backup/Wakefield catcher, meanwhile Rowand is an everyday, top of the line defensive centerfielder. there really isn't any comparison.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ May 12, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)

I couldn't agree more - let's give him a chance.

He seems to have it together defensively and his bat is coming around. A lot of talk on the airwaves comparing him to Joe Crede - if we had given up on Joe when he was less than a star with the bat where would we be now!

:gosoxretro:

I say if Brian continues to struggle with the bat, Kenny should look to get his hands on Torii Hunter, come the trade deadline. Then we could look to sign him for 3-4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing what Brian can do, but Torii will probably be available come July. The Twins don't have the horses this year, and probably won't want to pay him.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
I say if Brian continues to struggle with the bat, Kenny should look to get his hands on Torii Hunter, come the trade deadline. Then we could look to sign him for 3-4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing what Brian can do, but Torii will probably be available come July. The Twins don't have the horses this year, and probably won't want to pay him.

We'd have to give up BA then.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 12, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)

I doubt that the Twins would trade Torii to a division rival.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)

If Torii Hunter can be an effective bullpen pitcher, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Torii is in the last year of his deal... the Twins will probably deal him if they are still far back in July.

Still, I'd rather not see the sox pay Torii Hunter half of his 12 million dollar salary just to hit .265 and play good defense. I'd rather keep BA in hitting .200 (hopefully by then) and playing good defense and see that money appropriated elswhere.

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
Torii is in the last year of his deal... the Twins will probably deal him if they are still far back in July.

Still, I'd rather not see the sox pay Torii Hunter half of his 12 million dollar salary just to hit .265 and play good defense. I'd rather keep BA in hitting .200 (hopefully by then) and playing good defense and see that money appropriated elswhere.

The Yankees happen to have a couple of openings in their outfield.

If the Phillies come calling to ask us to give Thome back to them, and in turn they will give us back Rowand, Gonzalez and Haigwood , would you do it?

For me, NO WAY! Rowand is nice, but having a tremendously powerful left bat in our lineup is MUCH nicer.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
And absolutely no pieces to deal.

I know... its amazing. I don't know what the Yankees could offer...

That said, I really believe the day is coming when George just starts offering money for players. Hypothetically, Steinbrenner could offer: "We'll pay a quarter of Johan Santana's contract for Torii Hunter."

It would be like the European Soccer League where player trades are rare and money is almost always the bargaining chip. I don't think this is going to happen now, or anytime soon. However, I think it may happen some day down the road

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
Go over to the PhillyPhans message board and see what people in Philadelphia are saying about him...

http://www.philaphans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3

There's got to be about 10 separate threads on how great rowand has been in philly.

I can't believe how many people on that board said that they wished Rowand didn't attempt to make that catch. That catch saved the game for them, against the first place team in their division, and they wished that he would have pulled up on it to avoid potential injury. They don't deserve to have Aaron, IMO.

Edited by Finkelstein

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
I know... its amazing. I don't know what the Yankees could offer...

That said, I really believe the day is coming when George just starts offering money for players. Hypothetically, Steinbrenner could offer: We'll pay a quarter of Johan Santana's contract for Torii Hunter."

It would be like the European Soccer League where player trades are rare and money is almost always the bargaining chip.

They can basically pick up anyone's bad contract. I.e. a Bobby Abreu type contract. And they can return one of their spare pitchers and pay most of the contract on that pitcher if necessary. I.e. the Yankees send Pavano for Abreu, and then agree to send along like $20 million of the remaining $30 million on the deal.