Can we get Rowand back?

SoxFanInDallas

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ May 12, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
I can't believe how many people on that board said that they wished Rowand didn't attempt to make that catch. That catch saved the game for them, against the first place team in their division, and they wished that he would have pulled up on it to avoid potential injury. They don't deserve to have Aaron, JMO.

Those same people would have been the first ones b****in' if ARow would have pulled up on it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ May 12, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
I can't believe how many people on that board said that they wished Rowand didn't attempt to make that catch. That catch saved the game for them, against the first place team in their division, and they wished that he would have pulled up on it to avoid potential injury. They don't deserve to have Aaron, IMO.

Living in the Philly market, the reason for that reaction is because he is likely heading to the DL and are left with Shane Victorino in CF.

If Brian Anderson can hit in the .265 to .280 range (which he will eventually) he's a better player than Aaron Rowand. So unless Anderson flames out and never develops, no thanks. Aaron is a great guy to root for, but I hope he enjoys Philly. And I think he's signed through 2007 btw, and no way Philly trades him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
If Brian Anderson can hit in the .265 to .280 range (which he will eventually) he's a better player than Aaron Rowand. So unless Anderson flames out and never develops, no thanks. Aaron is a great guy to root for, but I hope he enjoys Philly. And I think he's signed through 2007 btw, and no way Philly trades him.

IIRC, he's signed through 2006 with a player option for 2007.

Aaron Rowand: signed 2-year deal worth 8.5M on 1/14/05- he will make 2M in 2005 and 3.25M in 2006- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2007 worth 5M that the team could exercise if he declines his Player Option for 2007 worth 3.25M Service Time: 3.065

http://mlb4u.com/phi.html

Edited by Felix

Hmm ok well if it's a team option through '07, he's not going anywhere. If it were a player option and we showed interest, I guess it's possible he'd come back.....

I just want to give Brian a chance, he has too much potential to give up on, as solid a player as Rowand already is. And remember, Crash went through A LOT of struggles at first too.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Hmm ok well if it's a team option through '07, he's not going anywhere. If it were a player option and we showed interest, I guess it's possible he'd come back.....

I just want to give Brian a chance, he has too much potential to give up on, as solid a player as Rowand already is. And remember, Crash went through A LOT of struggles at first too.

B.A. is 5 for his last 14 with 2 home runs. That's a start.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
B.A. is 5 for his last 14 with 2 home runs. That's a start.

Yeah, he's been showing some signs lately. And he's still the better fielder between the 2 (which is a compliment to BA, not a diss to Crash) and has a little more power at the plate and speed overall, so the potential is there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I thought Rowand made a better catch in yankme stadium last year, laying out to rob jeter.

I'm glad he's doing well, but I don't miss watching him whiff at low and away breaking balls. He has a terrible eye for the ball, IMO. And the Sox desperately needed some punch in the lineup - no way we were going to win that many one run games again. What's to miss?

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
Torii is in the last year of his deal... the Twins will probably deal him if they are still far back in July.

Still, I'd rather not see the sox pay Torii Hunter half of his 12 million dollar salary just to hit .265 and play good defense. I'd rather keep BA in hitting .200 (hopefully by then) and playing good defense and see that money appropriated elswhere.

Keep in mind that Hunter and Santana are MIN's only two marquee players. Their ticket sales would drop significantly if they unloaded Torii.

Plus, we don't need a CF. We need another reliable arm in the 'pen.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 12, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
There are some many things wrong with Torri Hunter coming to the Sox.

1.He plays for the Twins. There is strike #1, and why everything else is moot, but I'll go on just for the sake of being bored in class.

If we were to nab Hunter, it would be at the cost of getting rid of whats left of a semi weak system as it is(I would think Fields and another pitcher would be involved, maybe just to start the deal out) Im not sure I want those players coming back to haunt me in 09.

2. Torri is very overrated with the strick. While he will outproduce Anderson at the plate, I really dont think there is that big of a drop off when it comes to D. Torii has a few steps on Anderson, but not enough for it to be a concern.

3. If the Twins keep playing like they are, Torii is going to be on the radar screens of ALOT of teams, and I dont think Kenny needs to get into a bidding war for something he doesnt need.

I like Torii Hunter ALOT, and would enjoy seeing him on the Sox, but with the makeup of the team right now, it's just not a fit.

I wouldn't even agree that Hunter "has a few steps" on Anderson since Torrii hurt his ankle last season. I don't believe he's stolen a base yet this season, whereas last season he ended up with what, like 20sb? If you jack up an ankle severely, as he did, you'll never be the same. Give me Anderson long term, trade those 'spects for bullpen help.

*edit* -- Torrii has 1 sb so far this season, 23 sb last season in 98 games.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 12, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Keep in mind that Hunter and Santana are MIN's only two marquee players. Their ticket sales would drop significantly if they unloaded Torii.

They are already near the bottom of all MLB in ticket sales anyway. I don't think they can get much lower on attendance.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
You gotta think though, that this team would be unstoppable with Tori Hunter in CF.

1.Pods

2.Gooch

3.Thumb

4.Kong

5.Dye

6.Aj

7.Crede

8.Hunter

9.Uribe

Why is that exactly? I'm not exactly keen on a CF with a sub .800 OPS. It has been proven statistically that Hunter ~ Rowand. He's an upgrade over Anderson at this point in time but in the long run and considering the cost, it would not be worth it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Why is that exactly? I'm not exactly keen on a CF with a sub .800 OPS. It has been proven statistically that Hunter ~ Rowand. He's an upgrade over Anderson at this point in time but in the long run and considering the cost, it would not be worth it.

Defianately. If we were going to add 8 million in payroll, we could probably do it more effectively than Torii.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)

Well, our lineup this year is better than last year's correct? And adding a bat like Tori's would make it even better correct?

Its fun to think about, and torii would, IMO, make the lineup much more formidable and could offer at the very least the same defense as BA, but it isnt happening. I dont think there is any way in hell Terry Ryan is going to help the Sox out this year. I think the few fans remaining would revolt.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 12, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Its fun to think about, and torii would, IMO, make the lineup much more formidable and could offer at the very least the same defense as BA, but it isnt happening. I dont think there is any way in hell Terry Ryan is going to help the Sox out this year. I think the few fans remaining would revolt.

Laff... anderson would be lucky to get close hunter's level... not the other way around. This is getting carried away lately.