Can we get Rowand back?

SoxFanInDallas

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ May 12, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
I think we ought to make a move to trade back for Rowand ala Boston getting back Doug Mirabelli.

I miss the guy. Hope you feel better Crash!

Brain Anderson isn't doing that bad of a job. He just needs better at bats but fielding wise I think he has potiential to be just like Rowand.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderson's picked things up lately a little with the bat.

Considering the amount of OF prospects we have still, and how much Hunter would earn for a new contract, there's no chance in hell that we're gettin him.

The Yankees would easily be the best bet right now, considering the injuries to Sheff and Matsui.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 12, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Maybe you havent watched Hunter play much this season.

Hunter has played just fine out there... i am sure you think ''he has lost a step''... because he has not stolen a base.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ May 12, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
are you waiting for the casey blake for torii hunter deal?

Heard it might be completed within the next 24 hours.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Anderson's picked things up lately a little with the bat.

Considering the amount of OF prospects we have still, and how much Hunter would earn for a new contract, there's no chance in hell that we're gettin him.

The Yankees would easily be the best bet right now, considering the injuries to Sheff and Matsui.

No doubt about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sniffing around Junior Griffey either.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 12, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Am I the only one who likes BA? :(

Not a chance. Anderson is going to be a very good ML CF, both at the plate and in the field.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
No doubt about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sniffing around Junior Griffey either.

I don't think there is any chance that the Yankees can get Griffey. I'm sure they'll inquire, but since the Reds are likely looking for pitching, and the Yankees have none, there's hardly any chance of a deal being worked out.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 12, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
I don't think there is any chance that the Yankees can get Griffey. I'm sure they'll inquire, but since the Reds are likely looking for pitching, and the Yankees have none, there's hardly any chance of a deal being worked out.

Besides, why would Junior even want to leave Cincy? He's got a pretty sweet gig there and his no-trade clause protects him from ever having to give that up.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 12, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
I say if Brian continues to struggle with the bat, Kenny should look to get his hands on Torii Hunter, come the trade deadline. Then we could look to sign him for 3-4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing what Brian can do, but Torii will probably be available come July. The Twins don't have the horses this year, and probably won't want to pay him.

That'd be nice to see but it'd never happen. The Twins wouldn't want to trade him like previously said. I think I remember hearing a few years back that the Twins and White Sox have one of, if not the longest tradeless streak between any teams in the big leagues. Idk when the last time they traded but it's been a long time ago.

As far as getting Rowand back, I don't think it's gonna happen and honestly I don't know if I want it to happen. We have a lot of outfielders right now, I'd prefere to get Carlos Lee back over Aaron Rowand but that's not going to happen either. I like Rowand, but with Anderson here now, and Sweeney and Owens waiting in the minors, we don't have space for him really. Who knows what'll happen within the next year or two though.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 12, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
That'd be nice to see but it'd never happen. The Twins wouldn't want to trade him like previously said. I think I remember hearing a few years back that the Twins and White Sox have one of, if not the longest tradeless streak between any teams in the big leagues. Idk when the last time they traded but it's been a long time ago.

As far as getting Rowand back, I don't think it's gonna happen and honestly I don't know if I want it to happen. We have a lot of outfielders right now, I'd prefere to get Carlos Lee back over Aaron Rowand but that's not going to happen either. I like Rowand, but with Anderson here now, and Sweeney and Owens waiting in the minors, we don't have space for him really. Who knows what'll happen within the next year or two though.

The last trade I can think of that the Sox and Twins made was 20 years ago, Pete Filson for Kurt Walker. Not much of a precedent for a Twins-Sox trade.

From Ken Rosenthal's piece tonight;

Both Hunter and Stewart are free agents at the end of the season. The Yankees likely will be interested in one of them now that left fielder Hideki Matsui might be out for the season with a broken left wrist and right fielder Gary Sheffield is on the disabled list with a lesser left-wrist injury. Who knows? Hunter might even become a target of the White Sox, whose rookie center fielder, Brian Anderson, is batting .176.

My money's still definitely on him going to the Yanks. They've got a 17 year old OF who's dominating in A ball, and Phillip Hughes as potential trading chips.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 12, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Maybe you havent watched Hunter play much this season.

Torii's running catch

Torii > BA...at this point in time, there's no arguments.

That being said, trading for Hunter would not really be a smart move, short term nor long term. For starters, prospects and money would be spent much better than bringing in a good CF, when the Sox pretty much have a poor-man's version of Hunter in CF right now anyways. Including that, Hunter may not stay in Chicago long term, and if he does, he's heading towards the end of his prime. All things considered, the Sox would be hurting themselves by bringing in Hunter.

This is also a case where the Twins won't deal within the division. In most cases, if a team is going to be heading into rebuilding mode, they are going to worry about the prospects more they are getting rather than the effects the player they trade hurting them in future years - if they are rebuilding, they are gonna lose a lot, so who cares where you trade him? The only team that needs to worry about it in that case is the team giving up the prospects. This case, however, IS different because Hunter is probably Minnesota's franchise player right now...trading him to a division rival after he has killed them for years upon years is PR suicide.