This winters trades

TLAK

I was in a friendly bar discussion with a guy who was busting me over how much I whined when KW made his moves over the winter. He tried to get me to say that last years group would not have the record that this year’s group is putting up. I said they would be about the same, the argument never ended, even while watching Javier give up his 7 earned runs in 5-1/3 innings.

So this morning I looked up how the guys in the moves are doing. Offensively it looks like a wash, although to be fair Everett and Thomas probably wouldn’t have a combined 235 AB were they both still with the Sox. At a glance the pitching looks like an improvement but it boils down to 12 innings and 3 runs.

So I stand on what I said, the team is not dramatically improved this year and in the years to come the White Sox may rue losing Chris Young, Gio Gonzalez and Danny Haigwood.

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 14, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
I was in a friendly bar discussion with a guy who was busting me over how much I whined when KW made his moves over the winter. He tried to get me to say that last years group would not have the record that this year’s group is putting up. I said they would be about the same, the argument never ended, even while watching Javier give up his 7 earned runs in 5-1/3 innings.

So this morning I looked up how the guys in the moves are doing. Offensively it looks like a wash, although to be fair Everett and Thomas probably wouldn’t have a combined 235 AB were they both still with the Sox. At a glance the pitching looks like an improvement but it boils down to 12 innings and 3 runs.

So I stand on what I said, the team is not dramatically improved this year and in the years to come the White Sox may rue losing Chris Young, Gio Gonzalez and Danny Haigwood.

You've come to this conclusion on May 14th?

I would say the new hitters are definitely better this year just because of Thome. He has made the others around him better as well, which doesn't show up in his stats. Straight up he has more or as many RBI, Runs, and HRs as Thomas and Everett combined, in half the ABs. That is not even close.

Besides batting average, Anderson is not doing that much worse than Rowand. They both hit HRs and score runs at almost the same frequency per AB, and Rowand has a slight edge in RBI. You also have to consider that Rowand is batting anywhere from #2 to #6 while Anderson is always batting #8 or #9. So Rowand has had more opportunities to score and drive in runs.

For pitching, Vazquez is a huge upgrade over El Duque, and the combination of McCarthy/Logan/Thornton is pretty close to Viz/Marte at this point.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Besides batting average, Anderson is not doing that much worse than Rowand.

Aaron Rowand OPS: .872

Brian Anderson OPS: .603

But don't worry, Anderson isn't doing much worse!

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)

But what about the people coming back to earth such as Garland and Politte. Surely the addition of Vazquez over Hernandez makes a huge difference. Although it's possible it appears as a wash, having the same team as last year doesn't necessarily translate to us being in the same position.

even while watching Javier give up his 7 earned runs in 5-1/3 innings.

Yea, I can't believe your friend wouldn't let a single game chage his mind.

Like earlier this year, Jim Thome went 0-4 with 3K's and I tried to tell my friend he sucked: but he wasn't having any of it--I was just like, "whatever".

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Yea, I can't believe your friend wouldn't let a single game chage his mind.

Like earlier this year, Jim Thome went 0-4 with 3K's and I tried to tell my friend he sucked: but he wasn't having any of it--I was just like, "whatever".

:lol: :lol:

QUOTE(Felix @ May 14, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Aaron Rowand OPS: .872

Brian Anderson OPS: .603

But don't worry, Anderson isn't doing much worse!

Batting Average is factored into OPS as part of OBP and TB in SLG, so if you don't look at Batting Average, the players are not that much different at the plate. Anderson has twice as many BBs than Rowand in 40 fewer ABs. That difference in OPS is mainly due to the Batting Average disparity and Rowand's two triples.

Rowand's had a good start to the season, before his facial the other night, and Anderson has really struggled. I don't care what numbers are thrown out there, that's the fact. Still, I'm more than happy with the Thome trade.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 15, 2006 -> 05:30 AM)
Batting Average is factored into OPS as part of OBP and TB in SLG, so if you don't look at Batting Average, the players are not that much different at the plate. Anderson has twice as many BBs than Rowand in 40 fewer ABs. That difference in OPS is mainly due to the Batting Average disparity and Rowand's two triples.

So basically, the players aren't that much different at the plate other than the fact that Rowand is getting on much more and slugging much more. Its not like its a close difference here, their OPS's are .200 points apart. Thats like saying a player with a .200 OBP is doing similar to one with a .400 OBP. Sure, their other stats might be similar, but that doesn't mean the players are in the same ballpark in terms of how well they are playing.

And for what its worth, last I checked (which was yesterday before my previous post), Rowand had a VORP of 10.7, while Anderson had one of -2.7. Thats a small difference.