Pods heating up

RME JICO

If Pods wants to get a new long - term deal, he's probably going to have to keep hitting like this for the majority of the remainder of the season, especially with the way Josh Fields has gone about his business in Charlotte.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:58 AM)
If Pods wants to get a new long - term deal, he's probably going to have to keep hitting like this for the majority of the remainder of the season, especially with the way Josh Fields has gone about his business in Charlotte.

So is the thinking within the organization that Fields is best suited for LF?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:41 AM)
So is the thinking within the organization that Fields is best suited for LF?

Yes sir, that is correct. He's showing he can really hit, he has that QB arm, more than strong enough to play LF, and he has adequate speed. Plus we want to move him, since we think he has MLB potential but we have that Crede guy over at 3rd ;).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
Yes sir, that is correct. He's showing he can really hit, he has that QB arm, more than strong enough to play LF, and he has adequate speed. Plus we want to move him, since we think he has MLB potential but we have that Crede guy over at 3rd ;).

If that's as soon as next year, who would be our leadoff hitter?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ May 16, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)

Uribe? Iguchi? i dont know. I'd rather sign Pods and trade Fields for some top notch pitching.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 16, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)

Of course, the 'organization' in this case is Soxtalk.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:37 AM)
LOL. I gotta give Jeckle serious props for once. He was right on about Pierre. Dude is past his prime.

You act like he's the only one who said Pierre sucked. I must say his 65% SB% was quite sexy and his .320 OBP is just perfect for a leadoff hitter. Honestly, anyone who watched Pierre play last year and still thought he was good is a severly dillusional person.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
You act like he's the only one who said Pierre sucked. I must say his 65% SB% was quite sexy and his .320 OBP is just perfect for a leadoff hitter. Honestly, anyone who watched Pierre play last year and still thought he was good is a severly dillusional person.

Plus Jeckle believes anyone not named Aaron Rowand sucks.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)

Right now, Josh Fields is pushing a .419 OBP. 15 walks in 121 at bats. That's not terrible. In fact it's pretty good. He wouldn't be the fastest guy in that position in the league, but well, think about a Grady Sizemore type. Get a lot of hits, hit with some power, but also get on base a lot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Right now, Josh Fields is pushing a .419 OBP. 15 walks in 121 at bats. That's not terrible. In fact it's pretty good. He wouldn't be the fastest guy in that position in the league, but well, think about a Grady Sizemore type. Get a lot of hits, hit with some power, but also get on base a lot.

You wouldn't want to put a non-leadoff type rookie in the leadoff spot on a big league team. Way too much pressure.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
You wouldn't want to put a non-leadoff type rookie in the leadoff spot on a big league team. Way too much pressure.

It worked with Grady Sizemore, so it's at least not an impossibility. You could also ease a guy into the role by making use of the pieces you already have...focus on OBP out of the first 2 spots instead of speed with Thome and Konerko ther. Maybe Iguchi and Crede to start off until Fields finds a groove?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Fields and Sizemore have comparable speed? I did not know that.

There are 2 ways I've seen to have a successful leadoff hitter. You can either have a leadoff hitter who's fast, and when he gets on base he gets himself into scoring position. This works especially well for teams that don't have enormous amounts of power and don't expect to have the 3 run home run show up very often. I.e. the Sox last year - we had PK, but wound up manufacturing runs a lot.

On the other hand, you can find a guy who's just not a clog on the basepaths (i.e. he scores from first on a double a decent amount of the time), but who has a very high OBP. This works particularly well when you have a bunch of mashers behind him who are going to be banging balls off of the wall every few times up. Think about a team like Texas or the Yankees or the Red Sox...you put Damon, or guys like Michael Young (last year for the Rangers) in front of the boppers and let them get on base to score. With Thome, Konerko, and Dye, this may very well work for us quite well.

The only reason Fields' on-base percentage is over .400 is due to his inflated batting average. He has never been and probably never will be known for his eye or plate discipline at any professional level. I wouldn't call one walk per ten at-bats 'very good' at the AAA level, I'll go with decent. We all know that ratio will decrease upon callup to the Sox. Suggesting him to leadoff is far-fetched. My hope for Fields this season is to keep up the slugging and cut down on some of those K's.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 16, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
The only reason Fields' on-base percentage is over .400 is due to his inflated batting average. He has never been and probably never will be known for his eye or plate discipline at any professional level. I wouldn't call one walk per ten at-bats 'very good' at the AAA level, I'll go with decent. We all know that ratio will decrease upon callup to the Sox. Suggesting him to leadoff is far-fetched. My hope for Fields this season is to keep up the slugging and cut down on some of those K's.

^^^^^^^

The guy strikes out 1 out of 3 abs, and he walks only 1/3rd as often. I'm willing to believe he can improve on both areas, but leading off, next year? Lol. Grady Sizemore he ain't.

He's a middle of the order bat, and I really hope he's not expected to contribute anything to the big league club until 2008.