Triple Play

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
Just wondering, but when Kong went to first first, wasn't the correct play to get the lead runner at second? I thought it should have been a 3-6-4 not a 3-4-6.

Dude, they turned a triple play. Who gives a s*** how it was done. I'm sure he went to first right away because the other runner was practically standing on third.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
Just wondering, but when Kong went to first first, wasn't the correct play to get the lead runner at second? I thought it should have been a 3-6-4 not a 3-4-6.

On a play like that you get the quickest out you can get. The way the play took Konerko his quickest look was first base, and it could very well have been if he looks at first, looks at second, that he would have gotten no one. On a bang-bang play you take the first out that you see. Hindsite does dictate that he would have had the triple play regardless, but you get what you can get in a game situation.

Yes, the "Correct" play would have been to get the lead runner. But throwing to 2nd was a longer throw for Paul than throwing to first, so it was a much riskier play. And if you looked at the positions of the baserunners, the guy from 2nd had already rounded 3rd & headed for the dugout by the time PK was about to throw to first, so the guy was actually closer to 1b than the runner was to 2nd.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
It took the Twins right out of the inning. :P

they been known to do that from time to time. Id hate to see a tem pull a triple play and than have a hard time getting out of the inning.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
they been known to do that from time to time. Id hate to see a tem pull a triple play and than have a hard time getting out of the inning.

That came from a story my father told me. The Yankees hit into a TP against the Sox back in the 60's. Casey Stengel, in his frustration after the game, seriously said "That play took us right out of the inning." Casey was one of a kind.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
On a play like that you get the quickest out you can get. The way the play took Konerko his quickest look was first base, and it could very well have been if he looks at first, looks at second, that he would have gotten no one. On a bang-bang play you take the first out that you see. Hindsite does dictate that he would have had the triple play regardless, but you get what you can get in a game situation.

I just looked at the replay again, and you are right. I was thinking charging in, and being a righty, he would have been looking more towards third and seeing the lead runner, than the guy behind him going to second. But he kind of half turned as he caught it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
That came from a story my father told me. The Yankees hit into a TP against the Sox back in the 60's. Casey Stengel, in his frustration after the game, seriously said "That play took us right out of the inning." Casey was one of a kind.

Farmeo called it an inning ending triple play.

Any one else notice the improvement in Farmer (Singleton too) the last couple weeks? Some like his style and some don't but in terms of accuracy and calling every pitch he's been right up there with the Gold Standard, John Rooney. This is no bull, I keep score cards with the TV on and, after a horrible start to the season, he's been great.

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 15, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Farmeo called it an inning ending triple play.

Any one else notice the improvement in Farmer (Singleton too) the last couple weeks? Some like his style and some don't but in terms of accuracy and calling every pitch he's been right up there with the Gold Standard, John Rooney. This is no bull, I keep score cards with the TV on and, after a horrible start to the season, he's been great.

They still stumble over each others words a little too much, but they are okay. The PBP isn't too bad. Rooney's calls are what I miss the most though, neither of them can replace them.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)

My interpretation was that the guy running from 1st to 2nd had a realistic chance of getting back to 1st if Paulie threw it to 2nd. The guy on 2nd was pretty much standing on 3rd by the time Paulie caught it.

In that situation, you get the close out first, then take care of the guy who has conceded the triple play.