How Many Home Runs will Jim Thome hit?

Baines3

Thome will probably end up in the 40s. WH and I were talking about this last night, Pujols has some ridiculous numbers right now early in the season (.333 BA, 19 HRs). If he maintains this pace he'll only get 83 HRs. Sure that's a ridiculous number and 10 more than anyone else has ever hit; however, you'd figure he'd be on pace for 90 something at this rate. I guess my point is that projections are funny.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
Thome will probably end up in the 40s. WH and I were talking about this last night, Pujols has some ridiculous numbers right now early in the season (.333 BA, 19 HRs). If he maintains this pace he'll only get 83 HRs. Sure that's a ridiculous number and 10 more than anyone else has ever hit; however, you'd figure he'd be on pace for 90 something at this rate. I guess my point is that projections are funny.

Yeah, but even Pujols can have a bad week.

I'd love to see him break the single season record, although I think teams will start walking him and that will reduce the total to around 45 or so.

Edited by whitesox1976

1 of them will be an inside the park home when he kills a line drive vs. the Yankees that riccochets off of A-Rod and continues to play pinball off the rest of the Yankees squad, knocking them all unconcious for a few minutes but not seriously injuring any of them except Derek Jeter who wakes up 3 minutes later to find Thome still lumbering toward home, he grabs the ball from left field and beats Jim to the plate only to be catapulted into the netting at Yankee stadium when James Howard Thome's shoulder makes contact with his gargantuan nose, he drops the ball in the process, scoring Thome but the play is only remembered for Jeter's courageousness.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
I'd love to see him break the single season record, although I think teams will start walking him and that will reduce the total to around 45 or so.

I don't know if they'll resort to walking him that much with Paulie behind him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
See, the problem is...a bad week for Pujols right now wins other people "Player of the week" awards.

Do you realized that in his entire career Albert Pujols has never really had a bad month, his rookie year he had his worst month, a .793 OPS, .241 BA, 4 HRs and 12 RBI. His second season in the league he put up a .804 OPS one month and since then he's only had 3 months with an OPS under .950 and his OPS did not drop below .900 in any of those months. For the past 3 seasons he's only had 4 months with an OPS under 1.000.

I know this post was completely off topic but this guy is seriously going to become one of if not the greatest hitter in the history of the game.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
I don't know if they'll resort to walking him that much with Paulie behind him.

Good point. If they walked Thome then Konerko could rocket one out.

I really expect Thome to hit at least 50 home runs as long as he doesnt take a trip to the DL. If he ended up with less it wouldnt be a disappointment, he's just playing that good that I expect him to hit that many

If he stays healthy, and that's a huge if, I think he can get to 50 homers. This spring has seemed a lot cooler than normal, so I'm half-expecting to see even more homers throughout the league as the summer progresses.

The fact that this thread was created, and also that I'm responding in it, scares the crap out of me. I gotta knock on wood.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
If he stays healthy, and that's a huge if, I think he can get to 50 homers. This spring has seemed a lot cooler than normal, so I'm half-expecting to see even more homers throughout the league as the summer progresses.

The fact that this thread was created, and also that I'm responding in it, scares the crap out of me. I gotta knock on wood.

Why is it a "big if" that he'll stay healthy? I hear a lot of people mention that caveat with Thome, but Thome's entire career has been one of good health, he's with a club that does an excellent job taking care of its own, he does the minimal a player can do (hit) and then sits in the dugout to relax.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
Why is it a "big if" that he'll stay healthy? I hear a lot of people mention that caveat with Thome, but Thome's entire career has been one of good health, he's with a club that does an excellent job taking care of its own, he does the minimal a player can do (hit) and then sits in the dugout to relax.

Because I'm scared of being an inxjay.