How Many Home Runs will Jim Thome hit?

Baines3

QUOTE(jenksd @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)

1 of them will be an inside the park home when he kills a line drive vs. the Yankees that riccochets off of A-Rod and continues to play pinball off the rest of the Yankees squad, knocking them all unconcious for a few minutes but not seriously injuring any of them except Derek Jeter who wakes up 3 minutes later to find Thome still lumbering toward home, he grabs the ball from left field and beats Jim to the plate only to be catapulted into the netting at Yankee stadium when James Howard Thome's shoulder makes contact with his gargantuan nose, he drops the ball in the process, scoring Thome but the play is only remembered for Jeter's courageousness.

I can deal with that.

I think he'll end up between 50 and 55. Hitting in the Cell will be quite a boon for his numbers. I also believe that, by season's end, Big Jim will have more home runs than Pujols. Pujols is certainly on a torrid pace at this point but Jim is only 4 behind him. As the season progresses, NL teams will begin to pitch around Pujols much as they did Barroids a couple years ago...honestly I can't believe that they haven't started pitching around him already. Thome has got mad protection with Paulie and JD behind him in the lineup, teams have no choice but to pitch to him. I'm not implying that Jim is a better hitter than Albert, not even close really, but the big picture leads me to believe Thome's HR numbers will be higher.

I still think Jim will probably wind up between 40 and 50, just because he's not going to play 155 games. Starting next week, when interleague play rolls around, he's going to find himself getting a lot of extra time off. 1 at bat, pinch hitting, per game.

He'll probably get some extra offtime in around August, for example, also. He's only really had 1 offday thus far this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
What's the team record for a single season, didn't Belle hit 52? I'll take 1 over whatever the team record is, so I think 53.

I do believe Joey hit 49 HRs in '98. So that would mean Thome needs an even 50 for the team record.