Sox @ Twins Game Thread

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Pop up, one out.

Anyone of age going to Cincy, make absolutely sure you stop for a beer at Arnold's Bar and Grill, 210 E. 8th Street, downtown. Oldest saloon in the city, since 1861. Nice courtyard and live music many nights, no cover. Good food, inexpensive. I like it for lunch. Walkable to the ballpark, a hike, but walkable.

You love that place huh? After the game, fieldtrip to hofbrauhaus for huge steins of beer.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
After the game, fieldtrip to hofbrauhaus for huge steins of beer.

I bet they'll run a shuttle to the game.

Love City View Tavern in Mt. Adams, along with several other places up there. Mt. Adams and Hofbrauhaus are right up you young guy's alley.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
That's a BIG fine. Probably $100 at least.

Just found this....

It is unknown whether Guillen also was forced to pay a fine in kangaroo court, which followed batting practice Friday. Presiding judge was Chris Widger, who replaced the departed Carl Everett.

"I tried to get [Jim] Thome or Jermaine [Dye] to be the judge, but they didn't really want to. I was the oldest [player] except for Thome, so I got stuck with it."

Players are fined--from $5 and up--for offenses spotted by fellow players. Some are obvious ones that happen during games. Others are less obvious, such as saying the wrong words to media.

The money is taken late in the season and used for a players-only meeting while the team is on the road.

So does Widger wield a mean gavel?

"There will be a lot of `guiltys,' but I'm not that tough a guy," he said. "Let's just say there's a lot of `fineable' people on this team."

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
I bet they'll run a shuttle to the game.

Love City View Tavern in Mt. Adams, along with several other places up there. Mt. Adams and Hofbrauhaus are right up you young guy's alley.

Mt Adams bar and grill for dinner and of course the bars up there like Longworths are stocked with premium ass.

Guest JimH

If Konerko threw the triple play ball in the stands, the kangaroo court will probably levy an additional fine for not getting the lead runner first. :bang

Guest JimH
Stupid question...but 1 is there a kangaroo court and 2 if there is what is it?

It is a fun thing, guys get fined by the "court" for the dumbest things ... I bet Podsednik will get fined for hitting his first HR today.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
It is a fun thing, guys get fined by the "court" for the dumbest things ... I bet Podsednik will get fined for hitting his first HR today.

That sounds cool. So the players joke around and kind of fine each other for random things. Is this something all teams do or just certain teams?

Guest JimH
Quick question: Has there ever been a full time 3rd baseman that was a lefty?

Rock is talking about premium ass and here you are killing the buzz asking baseball trivia questions. :D

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)

Prob for swinging for the fences when his job is to hit a single.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Rock is talking about premium ass and here you are killing the buzz asking baseball trivia questions. :D

Admin Buzzkill.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)

:wub:

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
:pray I hope to have enough money some day when fines are just fun.

I'll start fining people on Soxtalk and all proceeds will go to me to fund my trips to Chicago and other places. :drink

Guest JimH
That sounds cool. So the players joke around and kind of fine each other for random things. Is this something all teams do or just certain teams?

Yes ... almost all teams do it, it keeps things loose.

I remember hearing Tom Seaver got fined after winning his 300th game while with the White Sox ... for being a media moth by winning it in Yankee Stadium. :lolhitting

Tough comebacker, nice play by Cotts.

Guest JimH
So Rock, tell us about those ladies in your avatar. Is that a superglue accident made in heaven or what?

Those are two ladies who frequent the patio at the Hofbrauhaus in greater Cincinnati. Premium, as Rock would say. :D