Bush to order National Guard to border

Balta1701

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(minors @ May 16, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
We are becoming overun in this country with illegals with most of them looking to get a free ride. It scares me the thought of how many terrorists have crossed over that border and will continue to cross over.

There is no evidence that any terrorist has ever come across or attempted to come across our southern border. That cannot be said for our border to the north, which might be expected given the easy legal ways in (like Tex said) as well as the relatively large Muslim communities in parts of Canada, some of which are going to tend to the radical side of the religion. But it is, of course, the Mexican border that we are militarizing. And, of course, it's being done in the name of national security.

9-11 9-11 9-11 9-11 changed everything. Except the jingoistic tendencies of so much of this country, That was in place long before 9-11.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 16, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
We need more whiite babies. If you're not ready and willing to procreate, John Gibson is.

I just saw that bit this afternoon on the Colbert rerun, and I'm still shocked. Wtf does it take to get fired from Fox? Would blackface be enough, or would Gibson actually have to lynch someone?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 16, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Habla Espanol? Si.

From 1948 to 2005, 17 people have been killed by alligators in Florida -- about 0.30 deaths per year. In 2006, so far three alligator-related fatalities have occurred -- a tenfold increase over the trend. If this keeps up, 30 people will die next year, 300 in 2008, and so forth until in the year 2013 the United States experiences a shocking 300 million deaths by alligator. At that point, we'll be begging for immigrants.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
:headshake

Shake your head all you want but its true. The gay marriage amendments are all passed in the states where its going to increase GOP turnout enough to matter and now suddenly its all about immigration. The GOP suddenly "woke up" to illegal immigration one year after our Republican president offered to fund 210 out of 10,000 proposed new border agents. It wasn't an issue they thought about addressing until their poll numbers went south and suddenly we need a new thing to felonize.

All this is is posturing and grandstanding at the expense of other people - regardless of what you think of them. If they really cared about fixing our immigration policy, we would have done something about it last january, or 5 years ago, or 12 years ago when the Contract on America finally got the GOP in some form of control to begin with.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
Shake your head all you want but its true. The gay marriage amendments are all passed in the states where its going to increase GOP turnout enough to matter and now suddenly its all about immigration. The GOP suddenly "woke up" to illegal immigration one year after our Republican president offered to fund 210 out of 10,000 proposed new border agents. It wasn't an issue they thought about addressing until their poll numbers went south and suddenly we need a new thing to felonize.

All this is is posturing and grandstanding at the expense of other people - regardless of what you think of them. If they really cared about fixing our immigration policy, we would have done something about it last january, or 5 years ago, or 12 years ago when the Contract on America finally got the GOP in some form of control to begin with.

They don't dress anywhere near as colorfully and flamboyantly as gays...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 17, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
They don't dress anywhere near as colorfully and flamboyantly as gays...

Or have a show on BRAVO....

yet.

Hispanic eye for the white guy?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)

The numbers went south because the conservative base got tired of the illegal immigration issue being ignored.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
The numbers went south because the conservative base got tired of the illegal immigration issue being ignored.

I applaud how conservatives will find one issue and pull their support from the President until it gets addressed. Sounds like Rex is right. Conservatives were upset about gay marriage, the President poll numbers suffer. He works on that, poll number rebounds. Now conservatives go after illegals.

Illegals the new gays. Good call Rex.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 06:55 AM)
I applaud how conservatives will find one issue and pull their support from the President until it gets addressed. Sounds like Rex is right. Conservatives were upset about gay marriage, the President poll numbers suffer. He works on that, poll number rebounds. Now conservatives go after illegals.

Illegals the new gays. Good call Rex.

Rex does has a valid point. You have to take into consideration, though, that the conservative base was already unhappy with various aspects of Bush's presidency, for example the excessive spending/big gov't that has occured. That is usually the mantra of the Democrats.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Rex does has a valid point. You have to take into consideration, though, that the conservative base was already unhappy with various aspects of Bush's presidency, for example the excessive spending/big gov't that has occured. That is usually the mantra of the Democrats.

I would be more upset that Bush and the rest of the party has squanderd*, so far, the total control that the American voters gave them. It will be interesting to see if that opportunity lasts past November.

So far, conservatives have tried to link every major crisis in our country, either the cause or the cure, to 12 million unskilled laborors. Terrorism, the economy, crime, drugs, etc. Sounds like a made in heaven opportunity for a politician. With one bill everything is solved. We have reduced politics to cheering for our team. Cheer everything our guys do and jeer everything the other team does.

*Did I just Gage a word

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
I think I'm going to say the hell with both parties and go Libertarian.

I think there is a window of opportunity, and guys like McCain and Lieberman could lead the way. As the parties polarize themselves, they are leaving a lot of Americans in the middle.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
I think there is a window of opportunity, and guys like McCain and Lieberman could lead the way. As the parties polarize themselves, they are leaving a lot of Americans in the middle.

I know this much. The Democratic Party is way to liberal for me. I'm not going to buy into any temporary centrist movement on their part, either. When it comes down to it, I don't trust the Bushies. Conservative agendas are one thing, but driving us toward fascism is something else. And your National ID card is one step in that process, by the way.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
I know this much. The Democratic Party is way to liberal for me. I'm not going to buy into any temporary centrist movement on their part, either. When it comes down to it, I don't trust the Bushies. Conservative agendas are one thing, but driving us toward fascism is something else. And your National ID card is one step in that process, by the way.

I don't see the difference between a national ID card and me carrying a Texas driver's license and a passport. In fact, give me a universal card that would work as my driver's license, library card (already there) Blockbuster discount card, gym membership card, credit card, debit card, selected medical history, Sam's Club card, etc. We are already carrying all that stuff, let's combine it into one.

I try to avoid the descriptive labels for either party. I disagree with the GOP on balancing the budget, activist judges, and the media. I think they are trying to destroy a couple pillars of our freedoms. I also disagree with Dems on a number of issues, so depending on the people involved, I make choices. Statewide in Texas, I voted for more Republicans than Dems, because on balance, I agreed with more of their plans than their opponents.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
I don't see the difference between a national ID card and me carrying a Texas driver's license and a passport. In fact, give me a universal card that would work as my driver's license, library card (already there) Blockbuster discount card, gym membership card, credit card, debit card, selected medical history, Sam's Club card, etc. We are already carrying all that stuff, let's combine it into one.

When they put RFID chips in them, they are basically tracking devices.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
We'd have to draw the line before that.

But that's how they work. A little here (Nat'l cards), a little there (chip in the cards), then ... chip implanted under the skin.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
But that's how they work. A little here (Nat'l cards), a little there (chip in the cards), then ... chip implanted under the skin.

The chip under the skin would be convienent.

I understand the concerns, and share many of them, but like I said, combining all the cards in my wallet and my passport seems ok to me. Where we go from there, should be debated. I do think we are heading towards a system where proving citizenship will be important, and I can't think of a more convienent way than a national ID card. Carrying a passport sucks, I had to carry a green card for working in Mexcio, about the same size as a passport, for a few years and it is a pain.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)

The chip under the skin would be convienent.

I understand the concerns, and share many of them, but like I said, combining all the cards in my wallet and my passport seems ok to me. Where we go from there, should be debated. I do think we are heading towards a system where proving citizenship will be important, and I can't think of a more convienent way than a national ID card. Carrying a passport sucks, I had to carry a green card for working in Mexcio, about the same size as a passport, for a few years and it is a pain.

Now they are talking about a national database the employers would be required to check before hiring someone. In fact, I think Georgia is trying to implement this right now. So, in effect, that gives the gov't the ability to approve or disapprove of hirings. This is an offshoot of the illegal immigration problem, but easily expandable to include everyone.