Oregon town billing Mexico for jailing illegals

southsider2k5

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1631888/posts

PENDLETON, ORE. - Out of ideas and low on cash one cold morning, the man with the biggest badge in town put his meaty fingers on a keyboard and tapped out a letter to the leader of Mexico.

"Dear Precidente (sic) Fox," it began.

"My name is John Trumbo. I am Sheriff of Umatilla County in northeastern Oregon." Illegal immigrants "from your country" who committed crimes here, the letter said, cost Americans lots of money.

Last year, more than 360 of "your citizens" spent time in jail "at a cost of $63 a day which equates to a request for payment of $318,843," the letter concluded. "At this time, you will not be billed for medical, dental and transportation costs. Your prompt attention to this request will be very much appreciated."

More at link

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1631888/posts

PENDLETON, ORE. - Out of ideas and low on cash one cold morning, the man with the biggest badge in town put his meaty fingers on a keyboard and tapped out a letter to the leader of Mexico.

More at link

If the federal government had any stones it would take all the monies wasted on services for these people out of their foregin aid money. As with business, the surest way to change bad behavior is to hit them in the wallet.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
If the federal government had any stones it would take all the monies wasted on services for these people out of their foregin aid money. As with business, the surest way to change bad behavior is to hit them in the wallet.

Yup. All $25 million of that aid we give to Mexico. Cut that, and i'm sure they'll stand up and take notice.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Yup. All $25 million of that aid we give to Mexico. Cut that, and i'm sure they'll stand up and take notice.

Whatever the number, it would be a good start. Then, perhaps, a tourism boycott of Mexico might get their attention a bit more.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
Whatever the number, it would be a good start. Then, perhaps, a tourism boycott of Mexico might get their attention a bit more.

What would get their attention quicker is to have a requirement of citizenship to wire money to outside of the USA.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
What would get their attention quicker is to have a requirement of citizenship to wire money to outside of the USA.

Now that would actually do it. Of course, presumably you'd be willing to make exceptions for people who were actually on legal visas.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Now that would actually do it. Of course, presumably you'd be willing to make exceptions for people who were actually on legal visas.

Requirement of legal standing would be enough.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)

Of course, anykind of legal entry would have to be an exception to a rule like that... Such as being here on a good passport, a legal visa etc. If one's status cannot be verified, then the rule would apply. As I have said repeatedly, you must end the incentives to be in the USA illegally for the invasion on our borders to stop.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)

Every little bit helps. I liked SS2K5's idea for stopping illegals from wiring money home. Take their second biggest source of income ( aside from narcotics traffic ) and they'll take notice alright.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Every little bit helps. I liked SS2K5's idea for stopping illegals from wiring money home. Take their second biggest source of income ( aside from narcotics traffic ) and they'll take notice alright.

If we can only get Americans to boycott drugs.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
That would be the ultimate way to stop a lot of problems in the world, but we all know better than that.

I know. Just a moment of wishful thinking.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
That would be the ultimate way to stop a lot of problems in the world, but we all know better than that.

Yeah. With the sheer number of s***bags in this country who are either addicted or want them for recreational use, there will always be a market for narcotics. That's an enforcement issue more than anything.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)

That's a great idea, something I can agree with. There will be some resistance from people who routinly buy money orders, VISA gift cards, and travelers checks who will object to proving citizenship before purchasing them. And I'll bet some stores will object to having to train their clerks to check for citizenship papers before selling them. Perhaps we could require a passport before purchasing money orders? Makes sense to me and the government would make money selling passports.

We also have to pressure Mexico to lower how much in purchases their citizens can bring back. Right now, illegals could buy a bunch of clothes and stuff up to $500 and take them back across the border. Perhaps limiting much in goods someone could take with them as they leave the country would also be necessary. An illegal could just buy stuff and sell it back there. That would also lessen the appeal of being here illegally. Whether they are buying stuff and sending it or just sending cash, it is benefiting the people they are sending it to and is their motivation to be here.

I was thinking about that $3 per hour illegal, which is about $6000 per year. After buying food and shelter, maybe some used clothes, how much is he sending back? I'll bet you and I send more than that overseas each year. Everytime we buy a shirt from Honduras, a car from Japan, or a pair of Nike's, money goes overseas. Starting now, I'm going back to buying all American. I've never bought a foreign built car, and never will, that would be sending big bucks overseas. I'm proud to say my employer has everything made in the USA. All of our suppliers are USA and most are Union. Doesn't get anymore American than that. :usa

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Yeah. With the sheer number of s***bags in this country who are either addicted or want them for recreational use, there will always be a market for narcotics. That's an enforcement issue more than anything.

Remember Nancy Reagan and just say no!

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 16, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
That's a great idea, something I can agree with. There will be some resistance from people who routinly buy money orders, VISA gift cards, and travelers checks who will object to proving citizenship before purchasing them. And I'll bet some stores will object to having to train their clerks to check for citizenship papers before selling them. Perhaps we could require a passport before purchasing money orders? Makes sense to me and the government would make money selling passports.

We also have to pressure Mexico to lower how much in purchases their citizens can bring back. Right now, illegals could buy a bunch of clothes and stuff up to $500 and take them back across the border. Perhaps limiting much in goods someone could take with them as they leave the country would also be necessary. An illegal could just buy stuff and sell it back there. That would also lessen the appeal of being here illegally. Whether they are buying stuff and sending it or just sending cash, it is benefiting the people they are sending it to and is their motivation to be here.

I was thinking about that $3 per hour illegal, which is about $6000 per year. After buying food and shelter, maybe some used clothes, how much is he sending back? I'll bet you and I send more than that overseas each year. Everytime we buy a shirt from Honduras, a car from Japan, or a pair of Nike's, money goes overseas. Starting now, I'm going back to buying all American. I've never bought a foreign built car, and never will, that would be sending big bucks overseas. I'm proud to say my employer has everything made in the USA. All of our suppliers are USA and most are Union. Doesn't get anymore American than that. :usa

You're right, what was I thinking. We should just annex Mexico and get it over with, right? I mean they obviously need our tax money more than we do, not to mention we need busboys and fruitpickers as you have pointed out, and no American should have to do that when we have Mexicans who will... Plus think of all the the crimes that won't have to be committed and all of the border patrol people we can just send over to Iraq because we won't need them here anymore! Plus we can just break them up into a bunch of states, throwin DC and Puerto Rico while we are at it, and get up to 60-70 states or so. Damn think how many jobs we could create for the flag makers alone!

ANNEX MEXICO!!!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
You're right, what was I thinking. We should just annex Mexico and get it over with, right? I mean they obviously need our tax money more than we do, not to mention we need busboys and fruitpickers as you have pointed out, and no American should have to do that when we have Mexicans who will... Plus think of all the the crimes that won't have to be committed and all of the border patrol people we can just send over to Iraq because we won't need them here anymore! Plus we can just break them up into a bunch of states, throwin DC and Puerto Rico while we are at it, and get up to 60-70 states or so. Damn think how many jobs we could create for the flag makers alone!

ANNEX MEXICO!!!

In case you didn't read my post, I agreed with you. I am all for making being illegal difficult and sending money back would be a great way to stop that. It's your proposal, did you have a better way to prove citizenship before buying money orders? Ilegals aren't going into banks and wiring money, they are going to the local conviencence store and buying an international money order or traveler's checks. It's cheaper, easier for the receipient who probably doesn't have a bank account, and flies under the radar. But you are the money guy and I know you already knew that.

I also think a national ID card would be a good thing, and perhaps showing it to buy money orders or even food would be another great way to control this problem. There is a price to pay, and that will be requiring everyone who purchases these items to prove who they are. This may also help the wars on terror and drugs.

I have never been for allowing anyone and everyone in. I've been for allowing anyone in who has a job waiting. Which is why I am against this current bill that allows for X number, regardless of US employment needs. So if you want to slow the increase of immigrants slow the growth of those jobs or have more of the existing base perform those jobs. But it has to be linked to jobs. Anything else is a mistake, including birthright to children of non-citizens.

And Mexico is already divided into states. If we annex them, I believe we should continue to keep those divisions. There are a couple goofy shaped ones near the border that could be reworked.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)

you are right. we should give more aid to mexico to improve a foreign country's economy. since mexico is part of the united states, its our responsibility.

QUOTE(samclemens @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
you are right. we should give more aid to mexico to improve a foreign country's economy. since mexico is part of the united states, its our responsibility.

We give them aid to hire more law enforcement, to help clean up their environment (some of which was US manufacturers mess), to improve health care, etc. Keeping a stable government on our border is money well spent. It certainly is as valid as sending money to everyone in the middle east and half of the former Soviet block countries.

BTW, were you away that much of the agriculture in Texas is dependent on the Rio Grande watershed. That watershed is sprerad out across both countries. When Mexico makes improvements, with US aid, to their reservoir system, it increases the amount of water the US has for irrigating crops. Programs like that are excellent ways to offer US aid.