Expectations for this season

aboz56

After how well we have started and our improved offense, I am curious to know what everyone expects this season.

Coming off a World Series win it's hard for me to expect anything less than a repeat. We've improved everywhere besides the bullpen. However, I expect KW to address that as we get closer to the trading deadline.

So my question to you is, what are YOUR expectations for this team and what are the realistic expectations that Sox fans should have?

Repeating as champions is a hard thing to do. I think that this team is capable of winning it again, but as in any team that wins it all you to breaks to go your way. Will they go our way this year? Knowone knows yet. For me my realistic expectaions for this years team is to first win the division. If we win the division, I will put our pitching agenst anyones in baseball, and as we all know it takes pitching to win a championship... If the Sox play how they are sopposed to play, there isnt a team out there that will stop us. So I guess I would say anything less then a World Series Championship would be considered a non-successful season.

My only expectation is that the Sox will be in contention for the division title.

After that, everything is kind of a crapshoot. Breaks, luck, the stars aligning, whatever you want to call it.

I just want them to get back into the playoffs. Things will take care of themselves after that.

like tony said, if we go deep in the playoffs, but don't win it all, I really can't be that upset.

But my expectations are to repeat, there is no reason for it to be any lower.

I'm enforcing my '5 year rule' on myself for once. (you can't complain about your team if you've won a championship in the last 5 years).

I agree. The only expectation coming into this year was to win the division and maybe get home field throughout. After that, anything can happen. You just want to put yourself in the best position possible come playoff time.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
My only expectation is that the Sox will be in contention for the division title.

After that, everything is kind of a crapshoot. Breaks, luck, the stars aligning, whatever you want to call it.

I just want them to get back into the playoffs. Things will take care of themselves after that.

Obviously, anything less than another ring would be a disappointment. Realistically, though, I expect 90+ wins and another trip to the playoffs. I also expect at least 2.8 million butts in the seats this year so that our team will be financially-able to take several more shots at the WS in years to come. There's no reason that smaller markets like Atlanta, St. Louis, and San Francisco should out-draw a Chicago baseball team that's coming off of a championship.

Well,

Some of those teams are going to outdraw the Sox because they have bigger stadiums. Everyone b****ed about the upper deck, so in order to fix it, we lost seats. Seats I bet some people would not be complaining about today. :crying

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Obviously, anything less than another ring would be a disappointment. Realistically, though, I expect 90+ wins and another trip to the playoffs. I also expect at least 2.8 million butts in the seats this year so that our team will be financially-able to take several more shots at the WS in years to come. There's no reason that smaller markets like Atlanta, St. Louis, and San Francisco should out-draw a Chicago baseball team that's coming off of a championship.

I love the way we're playing; it's great to see the Sox picking off right where they left off.

As far as expectations, I believe it's WS or bust for this team. However, I still can't shake that feeling I had coming into the season; I just feel we're going to disappoint as far as that goes.

It's weird that I can't shake that, because as many of you know, the glass is always half-full from my perspective. So I don't know what that means. It could be that I'm more than 100% behind the statement that no victory will be as sweet as '05's. Or it could just be trying to come with the realization that one of my teams has won it all; it feels like that stuff never happens. It's hard to put into words what I'm feeling on that.

With all that being said, I would have absolutely no problem with the Sox proving me wrong.

This team is better than the one that won the trophy last year.

Anything other than another trophy will be a disappointment. You think the Red Sox weren't disappointed in 05 when they couldn't pull off the repeat? Or the Marlins before that?

My expectations are to repeat. Even with a better "team", I know it will most likely be a lot more difficult and gut wrenching this year. I'm thinking about game 6's and 7's and I'm not looking forward to them. We didn't have to deal with elimination games last year. I don't think we'll have that luxury this time around. Prepare for the madness and hopefully another trophy in the end.

I am focused on only one thing: winning the division. That is my expectation. Anything less would be considered a failure, especially for an improved-on-paper team.

Now my HOPE is for a WS, but there are so many "what ifs" attached to that it's impossible to "expect." We could well be the best team in baseball but once the playoffs start, anything goes. We certainly were one of the best last year, but you have to admit: we got some breaks.

The fatal dropped ball in CF in the Royals/Cleveland game. The AJ strikeout. The booted grounder by Boston in game 2 of the playoffs. Dye getting called as HBP. All the breaks went our way. That's something that just happens, no matter how good or bad your team is. If you're a good team you're able to CAPITALIZE on them, which is what we did.

So yeah I hope for the WS but expect a division. Thinking about the WS this early just makes my head hurt.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
My expectations are to repeat. Even with a better "team", I know it will most likely be a lot more difficult and gut wrenching this year. I'm thinking about game 6's and 7's and I'm not looking forward to them. We didn't have to deal with elimination games last year. I don't think we'll have that luxury this time around. Prepare for the madness and hopefully another trophy in the end.

Very good point about no elimination games. Win or die trying never really came into play, did it?

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Well,

Some of those teams are going to outdraw the Sox because they have bigger stadiums. Everyone b****ed about the upper deck, so in order to fix it, we lost seats. Seats I bet some people would not be complaining about today. :crying

This has nothing to do with the Cell's seating capacity. The Sox could draw 3.2 million and still have a couple empty seats per game.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
This has nothing to do with the Cell's seating capacity. The Sox could draw 3.2 million and still have a couple empty seats per game.

At about 38k capacity, that would require a SELL OUT of EVERY game, plus some! 38K sell-out is just above 3MM

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
We could well be the best team in baseball but once the playoffs start, anything goes. We certainly were one of the best last year, but you have to admit: we got some breaks.

The fatal dropped ball in CF in the Royals/Cleveland game. The AJ strikeout. The booted grounder by Boston in game 2 of the playoffs. Dye getting called as HBP.

Yep, and our ALCS and WS opponents also lost their aces to injuries. If the best teams in each league were to have won their respective pennants last year, we would've seen an Angels/Cards WS.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Yep, and our ALCS and WS opponents also lost their aces to injuries. If the best teams in each league were to have won their respective pennants last year, we would've seen an Angels/Cards WS.

Blasphemy!

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
At about 38k capacity, that would require a SELL OUT of EVERY game, plus some! 38K sell-out is just above 3MM

According to the Sox's web site, the Cell's capacity is 40,615. I also recall our WS attendance figures being in the 41,000+ range (standing room only, I'm assuming).

The Cubs and Red Sox pack their stadiums every day. There's no reason why we can't.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
Blasphemy!

Sorry, I meant "best teams on paper."

Edited by WCSox

While I think automatically asking for a repeat is a lot, I am still doing so.

This team has what it takes, they need to just keep putting it together on the field. That win to pick up Buehrle on Sunday was a big statement to the kind of heart this team has. They didn't get down, they went out and got back in it for him. If we can keep playing with that kind of guts all year, a team that picks up after itself when mistakes are made, then there is no reason we can't expect big things.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
According to the Sox's web site, the Cell's capacity is 40,615. I also recall our WS attendance figures being in the 41,000+ range (standing room only, I'm assuming).

The Cubs and Red Sox pack their stadiums every day. There's no reason why we can't.

Sorry, I meant "best teams on paper."

We were never consider the best team on paper, so I see your point.

I think that was an OLD figure......if you look at attendance of opening game, only 38,800+ in attendance. Sell out attendance this year from what I have seen in the box scores has been anywhere from 37k to high 38k. That is what I was basing it on. And, I know that Boston sell's out all the time, but I am not really going to expect a 1 year jump from barely in the stands to sell out every game. Sorry, but fans here are fickle and whiney!