Expectations for this season

aboz56

I think that was an OLD figure......if you look at attendance of opening game, only 38,800+ in attendance. Sell out attendance this year from what I have seen in the box scores has been anywhere from 37k to high 38k. That is what I was basing it on. And, I know that Boston sell's out all the time, but I am not really going to expect a 1 year jump from barely in the stands to sell out every game. Sorry, but fans here are fickle and whiney!

The fans in Dallas sure are fickle. :P

According to Ballparks.com, the 2005 seating capacity was 40,615. This is in agreement with what the Sox report on their web site. And I don't believe that we lost any seats between then and this year, but I could be wrong. It's possible that 40,615 counts standing-room-only capacity as well.

The Sox would only have to average 34,600 per game to hit 2.8 million. That's a very doable goal and I would be somewhat disappointed if they were to fall short.

I love being told what the capacity of MY stadium is by somebody who's obviously never been. I love being told that WE should be able to put more butts in the seats by somebody who will invariably play the "but I'm from out of state" card.

WC you may have missed the memo, but you can take your argument back to 2003 where it belongs.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 16, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
I love being told what the capacity of MY stadium is by somebody who's obviously never been. I love being told that WE should be able to put more butts in the seats by somebody who will invariably play the "but I'm from out of state" card.

WC you may have missed the memo, but you can take your argument back to 2003 where it belongs.

You're dead wrong that "I've never been." I lived in the Midwest (Chicago area, Iowa, Indiana) for almost 23 years and attended ~20-30 games at the old and new ballparks.

Nice try.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
You're dead wrong that "I've never been." I lived in the Midwest (Chicago area, Iowa, Indiana) for almost 23 years and attended ~20-30 games at the old and new ballparks.

Nice try.

Well at least you backed it up by being ignorant about the size of the park.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Let's not have this escalate, guys.

Don't look at me. I was just having a conversation with somebody about the size of the ballpark.

Soxtalk should be above this I'm-a-bigger-fan-than-you crap. If you want that, go over to WSI.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Don't look at me. I was just having a conversation with somebody about the size of the ballpark.

Soxtalk should be above this I'm-a-bigger-fan-than-you crap. If you want that, go over to WSI.

Not looking at anybody. Just hoping I don't have to.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
I am focused on only one thing: winning the division. That is my expectation. Anything less would be considered a failure, especially for an improved-on-paper team.

Now my HOPE is for a WS, but there are so many "what ifs" attached to that it's impossible to "expect." We could well be the best team in baseball but once the playoffs start, anything goes. We certainly were one of the best last year, but you have to admit: we got some breaks.

The fatal dropped ball in CF in the Royals/Cleveland game. The AJ strikeout. The booted grounder by Boston in game 2 of the playoffs. Dye getting called as HBP. All the breaks went our way. That's something that just happens, no matter how good or bad your team is. If you're a good team you're able to CAPITALIZE on them, which is what we did.

So yeah I hope for the WS but expect a division. Thinking about the WS this early just makes my head hurt.

Exactly my thoughts :)

Same expectations I have every season: Let's make the playoffs and see what happens. Asking for a World Title is too much due to the elements of luck, who's healthy, and who's hot that come into play. However this team is more than capable and SHOULD make the playoffs, and hey as long as we do that (which is my expectation), anything can happen. And my expectations are that especially now that we did make the playoffs and anything DID happen last year (aka we won it all :)).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

/ agree

I think it's cocky and arrogant to expect anything outside of winning the division at the moment. We're not gonna have a 15-game lead to play with this time around. Detroit is GREATLY improved. The Indians are as good as anybody if they can get their pitching in order. The Twins, with their pitching, and especially with them finally moving Liriano into their rotation, should be in it all year. It's gonna be a lot tougher just to get back to the playoffs this season. Do I think we will? Yes. And then you can start talking about getting back to the World Series and winning it.

I'd like to win the division and win the first playoff series.

After than, it seems it's the best against the best.

I just want to do that.

Or I'd take being the wildcard and winning the first playoff series.

I don't want to happen to us what happened to Boston.

Their fans seemed to be content to losing to us the year after

their big series title.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 30, 2006 -> 06:09 AM)
I don't think it's possible for me to be disappointed in the team if they happen to not repeat, but I can't say I'd be truly satisfied if they did anything less than win it all.

Exactly how I feel.

I didn't vote because I don't look at a season in those terms. As long as they play good all around baseball, I'll be satisfied. Don't kick games away, take advantage of the opponents mistakes and the rest will take care of itself.

I'll be happy if we make the playoffs, and go on further from there, but getting to the playoffs first and foremost, is most important

But then I want this team to be there for the next decade, which means I want to see our young guys come thru the system and contribute well at the major league level.

Hypothetically, if the Sox would have lost to the Angels in the LCS, would you still be staisfied with making the playoffs? Personally, this team is built to win it all and anything less will be a disappointment.