Who is your favorite player from 80's, 90's, and 00's?

SoxFanInDallas

I am going to go back to the 70's to start this off:

70's: Eric Soderholm - The 70's didn't produce alot of good baseball, but I met Eric at a Nautilus club as part of an in-store promotion he was doing. I don't know if you remember him, but he had Rock Raines type thighs at the time. He gave me a demonstration on a machine and had me do it too.

80's: Harold Baines - He is my all time favorite. Probably because he came up through the farm system and he was their biggest star at the time. I did get to meet him in the '90's when I worked in the United Center. I was a dessert cart pusher and worked the owners suite all the time. The White Sox team was in the suite one day and Tom Pacoriak (sp?) was at the cart and asked if I was a fan. Stupid question, and I went on about Harold being my favorite of all times. Next thing I know, he is yelling "Hey Harry, there is someone here you have to meet!". There I am shaking his hand, tongue tied, etc. He offered his autograph, but I am not a big autograph hound, so I politely declined saying I was not allowed to as part of the job.

Fisk is second for the 80's.

Early 90's: Fisk and BlackJack. I was always impressed by Fisk's work ethic. Blackjack was the rebel and I really liked that! Maybe because I was in my 20's at the time.

Late 90's: Mike Carusso (JUST KIDDING). MAGS! I just like the chant (Oh-EEEE-OH----Maglio!)

00's: Paul Konerko. Again, the hard work ethic. Plus, watching him run the bases reminds me of ME!

Edited by SoxFanInDallas

'80s: Harold Baines--favorite of all-time. I think it was all those GW RBIs (when they kept the stat) that began the love fest

'90s: Frank Thomas--every time he came up to bat you knew something good was going to happen for the Sox

'00s: Mark Buehrle--he's just been so consistent and a team leader. I really like how he is so loose off the field and when he is on the mound, he is focused and efficient.

'90s: Frank Thomas. In 1993 I joined little league, in 1993 frank thomas was amazing. End of story

Early '00s: Mark Buehrle - His attitude, the way he pitched, you just had to love this guy.

Past 2 years: Joe Crede - No comment needed

Favorite 80s player (and overall) is Fisk. It's part of the reason I played catcher in little league. That and the first things the give the fat kid on the first day of practice are shinguards and a chest protector.

90s... gotta be Frank. Best player in franchise history, easily.

The 00s ... gotta be Buehrle. He cracks me up.

Some other favorites ... Guillen, Kittle, Grebeck, Black Jack, Konerko, Herbert Perry, James Baldwin, Ventura, Karko, Lance Johnson, Steve Lyons, Danny Pasqua, Don Pall, Richie Dotson, Ivan Calderon....

80's: Had to have been Kitty and Fisk. Kitty's moonshots were my first memory of White Sox baseball.

90's: Black Jack and Robin Ventura. There were a couple of others but those 2 were just the s***.

2000's: Burly-Mon and Kong.......Thome's making his way to the top if the list as well though.

80's - Harold Baines. Every Sox childhood memory involved this guy getting a clutch hit.

90's - Frank Thomas. Was like watching a Nintendo player in real life when he was in his prime.

00's - Dunno yet. Buehrle, Crede, Pods, Konerko. Already so many lifelong memories from each of those guys so far. I'll go with Crede for his stellar defense and clutch bat.

1980s- Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen, Carlton Fisk

1990s- Robin Ventura

2000s- Paul Konerko

A couple of favorite players I had as a kid growing up in the 80s weren't White Sox. My family lived in KC for about a year, the time I was old enough to start Little League and really begin to understand the game. George Brett may well have been the mayor of Kansas City back then. He was a great guy, and I love the way he played the game. He was easy to admire.

On the off chance I didn't get marooned in right field (where you knew no one would ever hit it and you couldn't play with just eight guys), I played second base, because that's where you put a shrimpy kid who could field well but didn't hit for a lot of power and couldn't make the throws from across the diamond. And that was me when I was about eight. Ryne Sandberg was the best, he did it all. Or at least a lot better than Julio Cruz or Tim Huelett.

Current favorite: A.J. Pierzynski, closely followed by Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, and Joe Crede.

What I love about this team is that there are so many guys that are likable, and play the game admirably.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 16, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Everybody's favorites are like the same few guys. Anyone have any more obscure favorites?

Right because Jorge Fabergas and Cal Eldred aren't obscure enough. You're standards are too damn high.