Who is your favorite player from 80's, 90's, and 00's?

SoxFanInDallas

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
70's - Dick Allen, Bill Melton

80's - Carlton Fisk, Harold Baines

90's - Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas

00's - Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko

Well there is no reason to start a new post. YASNY has named them for me. Gosh I can still remember an ESPN sportscenter where they led off with the story of "Rockin Robin and his Band of Merry Men" when Robin Ventura had a hit a grand slam home to win the game for the Sox and it showed the Big Hurt lifting Robin over his shoulder as the team danced.

I was going to talk about the tremendous effect watching Matt Merullo and Kevin Hickey had on me as a Sox fan, and as a person. But after Milkman's post, I feel like I have to find someone obscure.

Fisk, Ventura, Crede. I tend to admire players at positions that I was no good at.

90's frank and robin, the early 90's where when i really became a sox fan so there you go. (is it wrong that i can still remeber pretty much every starting fielder in like 93-95?)

00 buehrle and rowand, then i'm going to put aj in there too, even though this is only his second year. when he played for the twins i always hated having to face him and thought it would be cool to have him on the sox and i love his attitude.

QUOTE(Drew @ May 16, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
1980s- Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen, Carlton Fisk

1990s- Robin Ventura

2000s- Paul Konerko

A couple of favorite players I had as a kid growing up in the 80s weren't White Sox. My family lived in KC for about a year, the time I was old enough to start Little League and really begin to understand the game. George Brett may well have been the mayor of Kansas City back then. He was a great guy, and I love the way he played the game. He was easy to admire.

On the off chance I didn't get marooned in right field (where you knew no one would ever hit it and you couldn't play with just eight guys), I played second base, because that's where you put a shrimpy kid who could field well but didn't hit for a lot of power and couldn't make the throws from across the diamond. And that was me when I was about eight. Ryne Sandberg was the best, he did it all. Or at least a lot better than Julio Cruz or Tim Huelett.

Current favorite: A.J. Pierzynski, closely followed by Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, and Joe Crede.

What I love about this team is that there are so many guys that are likable, and play the game admirably.

I grew up in Chicago and was a HUGE White Sox fan, but for some reason I also liked KC. I really liked George Brett also, but like Fred Patek as well. My dad would take me to Sox - Royals games and I would bring both hats to get autographs. One of the Sox players saw me switch my hat from Royals to Sox before asking for an autograph and teased me for awhile before giving me an autograph.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
70's - Dick Allen, Bill Melton

80's - Carlton Fisk, Harold Baines

90's - Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas

00's - Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko

I would take out Bill Melton and add Wilbur Wood. Other than that, perfect list. I'm guessing, by the end of this decade, I would give strong consideration to how AJ would fit in.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
I would take out Bill Melton and add Wilbur Wood. Other than that, perfect list. I'm guessing, by the end of this decade, I would give strong consideration to how AJ would fit in.

How dare you take me out?! :)

I was born in '74 so I am a little young to start pontificating over 1970's players like Zisk and Soderholm. However, since I became baseball crazed by 1982 or so...

1980's - Salome Barojas, Lamar Hoyt, Rudy Law, Tom Paciorek, Greg Walker, Ron LeFlor, Ozzie Guillen, Jerry Koosman, Bobby Thigpen, Greg Luzinski, Bill Almon, Dennis Lamp

1990's - Ozzie Guillen, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas, Jason Bere, Warren Newsome, Lyle Mouton, Keith Foulke, Bill Simas, Bob Howry, Jim Abbot, Karkovice, Brian Simmons

2000's - Buerle, Iguchi (definite MVP of the 2005 regular season), Cal Eldred, Chris Singleton, Jeff Abbot, El Caballo, Mags, Rowand, Brook Fordyce, Shingo Takatsu

Edited by Beltin'Bill

OK, here are some more obsure names that I liked. Most of them only played a season or two with the Sox.

Players I really liked during their time with us:

90's-Danny Tartabull, Lyle (Big Swing) Mouton, Noberto Martin, Roberto Hernandez, and Alex Fernandez, and last and probably least talent wise, Mike LaValliere.

Players I liked but not favorites during their time with us:

90's-Ruben Sierra, Kirk McCaskill, Wilson Alverez, Julio Franco, Mike Cameron and Albert Belle (yes I liked him when he was with us.)

Edited by WilliamTell

80's - I wasn't really around for the 80's, but I'd have to go with Baines, mainly because he was still around when I really started following this team.

90's - Robin Ventura. Big Frank was a close second, but I've always been a sucker for fielding.

00's - it's so hard to decide with the World Series win and all, but I have to say Buehrle, for obvious reasons. but Konerko and Uribe are a very close 2-3 (Uribe because of his Gold Glove caliber fielding and cannon arm).

a couple of my somewhat obscure favorites from the 00's:

Jeff Leifer for his power, and Jose Canseco for the same reason. and I always liked Greg Naw-ton, mainly because it was fun to say his name. and what about Tony Graffanino, James Baldwin, David Wells, Roberto Alomar, and Kenny Lofton?